Storm Arwen

Heartland

Featured Posts

Been out to put an extra rope on to another mooring bouy, it's the worst storm I can remember. 

Sleet etc, when will it moderate, I m in Lancs? 

I just want a straightforward wind forecast for my area hour by hour, can't seem to find one, the one I have showing precipitation etc, does not show real wind and direction. 

Looking out, I d say wind is veering, moving in a clockwise direction, but its difficult to tell, its so gusty. 

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Been out to put an extra rope on to another mooring bouy, it's the worst storm I can remember. 

According to the met office tomorrow evening.

Blowing a proper hooley here (North Cheshire area near Warrington) - met office saying gusts over 50mph but no yellow warnings, tomorrow gusts reaching 40 mph and yellow warnings - confused ...

8 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

All lovely amd cosy here in The Wren, Stone's new micropub at the side of, but independent of the Crown Hotel. A must visit when you come through the town.

Weather? Oh, that that stuff outside. I'll sort that later.

20211126_224052.jpg

What a curious micro pub. Only one person in there appears to have any beer!

Just wondering, what makes a "micro pub" different from a pub nowadays? 

Back in the day when they first popped up they seemed to be entrepreneurs selling just beer in a shop premises with some tables and chairs, but in this micro pub some of the people seem to be drinking stuff in tineee glasses. 

Is it just the small size of the premises that makes a micro pub? If so, which is the biggest micro pub in the UK? 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

What a curious micro pub. Only one person in there appears to have any beer!

I’ve been a big fan of micropubs since they started but I too have issues with those that seem to now serve gin cocktails etc….some even have piped music at more volume than some of the gigs I mix which really irritates…and don’t get me started on the one in kenilworth which allowed feral children to run riot and served big brand fizzpop lager but still called itself a micro! 

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’ve been a big fan of micropubs since they started but I too have issues with those that seem to now serve gin cocktails etc….some even have piped music at more volume than some of the gigs I mix which really irritates…and don’t get me started on the one in kenilworth which allowed feral children to run riot and served big brand fizzpop lager but still called itself a micro! 

AH yes maybe that's another delineation. To me, a micro serves beer from barrels set up on trestles behind the counter, from local breweries. No pumps or 'beer engines' as the craft beer brigade seems to call them nowadays, and therefore no cellar.

And certainly no spirits or wine! 

Edited by MtB
Add a bit

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

AH yes maybe that's another delineation. To me, a micro serves beer from barrels set up on trestles behind the counter, from local breweries. No pumps or 'beer engines' as the craft beer brigade seems to call them nowadays, and therefore no cellar.

Agreed!! Although I will allow a beer engine (hand  pump) at a push….I did grumble a bit when the brewery tap I visit most often installed gas lines for its kegged products…but at least all its beers are made below the tap room…my OH is heavily into real cider…she’s been known to be more than forthright when told that a mango flavoured alcopop is a real cider….

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Agreed!! Although I will allow a beer engine (hand  pump) at a push….I did grumble a bit when the brewery tap I visit most often installed gas lines for its kegged products…but at least all its beers are made below the tap room…my OH is heavily into real cider…she’s been known to be more than forthright when told that a mango flavoured alcopop is a real cider….

I'm really struggling with a micro pub that sells keg beer. Beer MUST be served directly from the barrel on trestles in my book. 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm really struggling with a micro pub that sells keg beer. Beer MUST be served directly from the barrel on trestles in my book. 

I do agree but it’s better than serving gin with a plant in it!…at least you don’t have to wait half an hour for a pint while the barman faffs about with bits of undergrowth because someone has ordered a gin! 

I also have issues with overpriced fizzy stuff in cans with some arty design on it…and don’t get me started on “sours” or cake flavoured IPA etc….in fact one of the main reasons I couldn’t run a micro…and I have thought about it…is that I fear customers such as you & I are sadly rare…

Thankfully there still are some micros that remain true…I was in one last night…The Kings Ditch in Tamworth. Highly recommended if you are ever that way….all ale direct from the barrel in a back room….and a cracking list of real cider. 

Edited by frangar

18 minutes ago, MtB said:

There used be be a separate type of licence for a "beer house", which indeed forbade the place from selling spirits and such. When I lived in London (1980s) there was one in the Hampstead area. I don't know whether this sort of licence still exists.

I've known the term "beer engine" for many years. I suppose that strictly it should apply only to pumps which serve keg beers, as they are powered, like wot engines are.

And finally.....I have enjoyed "real ale" since first encountering it in the Farriers' Arms in St. Albans about 1975. Why has there been a recent move to rename it "craft beer"? Or are they two different beasts?

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

There used be be a separate type of licence for a "beer house", which indeed forbade the place from selling spirits and such. When I lived in London (1980s) there was one in the Hampstead area. I don't know whether this sort of licence still exists.

I've known the term "beer engine" for many years. I suppose that strictly it should apply only to pumps which serve keg beers, as they are powered, like wot engines are.

And finally.....I have enjoyed "real ale" since first encountering it in the Farriers' Arms in St. Albans about 1975. Why has there been a recent move to rename it "craft beer"? Or are they two different beasts?

Beer engine can be used for a hand pump. I believe it to be a Victorian term when “engines” were seen as cutting edge technology…and the power source was human! 

Craft beer to my mind is different to real ale…real ale is a living product..craft beer is fizzpop albeit made by smaller producers and often with strange unbeerlike flavours…..although for instance brewdog think they are craft but I think they just produce flavoured water for sad hipsters…

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

I just want a straightforward wind forecast for my area hour by hour, can't seem to find one

Look again - try this one just press the correct tabs and you get just what you want and can scroll it hour by hour, or just look at the table.

Just 'hover' with your mouse over the arrow nearest to your location to get the local wind speed at your chosen hour.

Wind Forecast Map - Britain (xcweather.co.uk)

I know Jo won't see this post so if anyone wants to be helpful please 'quote it' and it will become visible.

Screenshot (737).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

I just want a straightforward wind forecast for my area hour by hour, can't seem to find one, the one I have showing precipitation etc, does not show real wind and direction. 

Looking out, I d say wind is veering, moving in a clockwise direction, but its difficult to tell, its so gusty. 

You need an app called Windy.