Words to our leader

Midnight

Featured Posts

"We never stop working to improve our canals and rivers, so that they make life better by water for everyone, every day."

So why are you cancelling planned winter maintenance ?
You say "Unfortunately due to the impact of emergency works we have had to cancel the work and remove it from this years winter programme," but doesn't this just lead to more expensive emergency repairs and more closures in the future?

You said in your video "over the next few years the scale of our infra-structure works will increase steadily to unprecedented levels" yet less than two weeks later you are steadily reducing infra-structure works or were you referring to towpath upgrades for cycling?

Have you considered cancelling the Blue Signs project so then you might have enough resources to pay for some of these cancelled winter stoppages. Maybe you could get rid of a few PR and marketing people. Let's be honest some of them can't even write a clear stoppage notice. Today's was a beautiful example. It read "Monday 29th November 2021 08:00 until Thursday 25th November 2021 16:00" Embarrassed? - you should be!

Regrettably, Mr Parry many of us boaters think your words are false and your C&RT is not fit for purpose. 

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 4

On the T&M, south of Trentham, they've now started to post pulled stoppages after the ones in Stone just went to dust.

Not many left to cancel now.

Buy they still managed to deliver two pumps by truck, a contractors workboat and a tug on Monday, the day of the cancelled work, and a carpenter yesterday,  Wednesday. 

What on earth is going on?

4 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

On the T&M, south of Trentham, they've now started to post pulled stoppages after the ones in Stone just went to dust.

Not many left to cancel now.

Buy they still managed to deliver two pumps by truck, a contractors workboat and a tug on Monday, the day of the cancelled work, and a carpenter yesterday,  Wednesday. 

What on earth is going on?

Never put down to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Midnight said:

"We never stop working to improve our canals and rivers, so that they make life better by water for everyone, every day."

So why are you cancelling planned winter maintenance ?
You say "Unfortunately due to the impact of emergency works we have had to cancel the work and remove it from this years winter programme," but doesn't this just lead to more expensive emergency repairs and more closures in the future?

You said in your video "over the next few years the scale of our infra-structure works will increase steadily to unprecedented levels" yet less than two weeks later you are steadily reducing infra-structure works or were you referring to towpath upgrades for cycling?

Have you considered cancelling the Blue Signs project so then you might have enough resources to pay for some of these cancelled winter stoppages. Maybe you could get rid of a few PR and marketing people. Let's be honest some of them can't even write a clear stoppage notice. Today's was a beautiful example. It read "Monday 29th November 2021 08:00 until Thursday 25th November 2021 16:00" Embarrassed? - you should be!

Regrettably, Mr Parry many of us boaters think your words are false and your C&RT is not fit for purpose. 

Did we ever get true cost of re branding waste of time that was supposed to be £60k, and only done when necessary. 

If there is anything more unnecessary than plastic signage all over the place I don't know. 

Due to stoppages, planned and unplanned, I am now forced to shuffle on the L&L for the next five months before I can continue my own, genuine, bona fide navigation. 

I don't know who is in charge of day to day work gangs, but running the engine of a workboat for five hours, then setting off to cut trees at 12.35, with sunset in three hours is not impressing me, as a stakeholder

Edited by LadyG

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

Did we ever get true cost of re branding waste of time that was supposed to be £60k, and only done when necessary. 

If there is anything more unnecessary than plastic signage all over the place I don't know. 

Due to stoppages, planned and unplanned, I am now forced to shuffle on the L&L for the next five months before I can continue my own, genuine, bona fide navigation. 

I don't know who is in charge of day to day work gangs, but running the engine of a workboat for five hours, then setting off to cut trees at 12.35, with sunset in three hours is not impressing me, as a stakeholder

PS you know that 5 day promise responding to anything, I have waited 10 days and have yet to find out what is the litter policiy of the CRT. Pretty much sums it up. 

They ignore it. 

I think I might attend an agm, would this be allowed? 

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

PS you know that 5 day promise responding to anything, I have waited 10 days and have yet to find out what is the litter policiy of the CRT. Pretty much sums it up. 

They ignore it. 

There is an Annual Public Meeting, which I understand CRT must hold. It is held the autumn, and up to now, in Central Birmingham and you are entitled to attend and ask questions. However, the 2020 and 2021 meetings were held online because of the pandemic. There have been rumours that CRT would like to make this arrangement permanent, but it must be resisted as those living on boats, as I do, do not always have sufficient facilities or data to participate in such an arrangement.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

There is an Annual Public Meeting, which I understand CRT must hold. It is held the autumn, and up to now, in Central Birmingham and you are entitled to attend and ask questions. However, the 2020 and 2021 meetings were held online because of the pandemic. There have been rumours that CRT would like to make this arrangement permanent, but it must be resisted as those living on boats, as I do, do not always have sufficient facilities or data to participate in such an arrangement.

Equally there are many boaters who aren't able to attend in person in Birmingham.  It may well be that online meetings actually reach more boaters.

• Greenie 3

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

Equally there are many boaters who aren't able to attend in person in Birmingham.  It may well be that online meetings actually reach more boaters.

I take your point and don't know the answer.

The great strength of the live meeting is that it provides the opportunity for you to lobby individuals in person. Pretty well all the senior CRT people are there and they make themselves very available and open to a good chat about whatever issue you might have either before the formalities, or afterwards at the buffet lunch which is provided. Although I'm not an office holder in any respect of canal life, over the times I have been, I have got to know several of the 'top brass' and find them very accessible, then and at all other times too.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

They ignore it. 

Join the National association of  boat owners. You can then go to as many meetings as you like.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/11/2021 at 13:22, doratheexplorer said:

This year's APM was last Monday, via youtube so there was no public participation apart from pre-submitted questions at the end. Viewers averaged around 35 in number and it mainly featured presentations by various new directors. The message was that the canal network is improving and the trustees think that it's all well run. If you're having trouble sleeping, here's the link: 

1 hour ago, wandering snail said:

The message was that the canal network is improving and the trustees think that it's all well run. 

Which bit was that I'd like to go there if I can get past the bits that aren't improving. As for the trustees I wish to invite them for a trip along the Rochdale from Manchester

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Midnight said:

Which bit was that I'd like to go there if I can get past the bits that aren't improving. As for the trustees I wish to invite them for a trip along the Rochdale from Manchester

Or  spend a winter near Greemberfield

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

a winter on the L&L, postcode lottery for elsan openings and lock closures. 

Edited by LadyG

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Midnight said:

Eleven cancelled winter stoppages so far - Mr Parry have you stopped working?

But he didn't mean better for boaters did he, hence 'by water'? It actually makes little sense without 'the' added or maybe he means travelling by water, as in a means of transport, who knows.

Edited by wandering snail
  • Horror 1