Atlanta 27

Featured Posts

Hi recently inherited an atlanta 27 volvo penta v6 petrol engine, boat is on a canal, is in very good overall condition but showing signs of water ingress around the internal cabin windows, the outer seals are old and perished. 

My question at this point is how do I reseal these ?? Sikaflex any good for this ?? 

Thankyou in advance must be said also I'm a complete novice but very handy with most things but more than willing to learn 😅 

Welcome to the forum.

Ideally, you would want to replace the seals. This would involve doing whatever dismantling was required, probably with the frames taken off the boat. A good chance that Seals Direct will be able to match the rubber profiles used. Sikaflex, or  the like is a bodge and unlikely to be satisfactory for long.

The images i have found seem to show aluminium framed windows so the first thing to decide is the leak between glass and frame or frame and cabin side. If the former then the windows will have to come out, be taken apart and resealed with new rubbers as Jen says. If the latter then the windows should still come out, all the old sealant removed and then replaced with new sealer "mastic"

strip or close cell neoprene that is available form most chandlers.

A problem may be that screws holding the frame into the GRP have broken out of the GRP and that may cause problems getting a firm fixing.

Thanks for the swift reply's! I will get some pics next time I go down, the inside of the windows don't seem to leak at all inside the cabin, apart from the two which slide open and where they close and meet the frame you can tell they have been letting small amounts of water in for some time as the wooden interiour is soft and wet at this area (just a little) 

But outside looking at the windows there is a seal around them that seems to be coming out/perishing 🤔

Also there is what I think is called a port hatch at the front of the boat which seems to get allot of condensation on 

4 minutes ago, Shaun Mcdonald said:

Thanks for the swift reply's! I will get some pics next time I go down, the inside of the windows don't seem to leak at all inside the cabin, apart from the two which slide open and where they close and meet the frame you can tell they have been letting small amounts of water in for some time as the wooden interiour is soft and wet at this area (just a little) 

But outside looking at the windows there is a seal around them that seems to be coming out/perishing 🤔

Also there is what I think is called a port hatch at the front of the boat which seems to get allot of condensation on 

You have not said if the perished rubber is between the glass and frame or frame and cabin side. I suspect glass and frame but that is fairly usual on an older boat.  bet of you carefully probe the seal where it is trapped between glass and FIXED window glass it will still be nice and firm so really only cosmetic.

Not knowing Atlantas I don't see how you cab make a proper seal on a sliding window, otherwise it would be very difficult to slide. I think that you should clean the grooves the window slides in and search for drain holes that drain the groove to the outside.

Single glazed boat windows do suffer a lot of condensation, made worse with people aboard or with water in the bilge. If it is dripping off or draining onto  soft furnishings/mattresses then look at either film type secondary double glazing, more permanent flexible clear plastic double glazing or many boats use a pop stud attached fabric blind on the inside of the boat.

3 minutes ago, Shaun Mcdonald said:

Sorry yes it is between the glass and frame like you said almost seems to be coming away, and your right there is no real where the window slides. Didn't think about possible drain holes will have a look. 

I would expect a flock covered U sections in the aluminium frame for the window to run in and I suspect the flocking is now well worn. Maybe something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182259201777   or here https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/flocked-u-channel-window-rubbers

I doubt new channel would stop it leaking without drain holes though. Look on the outside of the frame.

Sliding windows are a pain!

Even with new flock seals they don't stay leakproof for very long.

You will need to accept that water will get in,but it must be free to run out again through the drain slots or holes in the frame bottom.These drain slots or holes need regular clearing of muck.

A good idea I have on my boat and I have seen on others,is a strip of alluminium or plastic perhaps 1/12 inch wide either tapped and screwed or glued to the bottom of the frame.

This will give the water more time to run out and in heavy rain will allow more water in the window grooves without overflowing onto your bedding.

8 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Sliding windows are a pain!

Even with new flock seals they don't stay leakproof for very long.

You will need to accept that water will get in,but it must be free to run out again through the drain slots or holes in the frame bottom.These drain slots or holes need regular clearing of muck.

A good idea I have on my boat and I have seen on others,is a strip of alluminium or plastic perhaps 1/12 inch wide either tapped and screwed or glued to the bottom of the frame.

This will give the water more time to run out and in heavy rain will allow more water in the window grooves without overflowing onto your bedding.

Good idea. I assume you mean on the inside so in effect you increase the depth the water can reach in the channel before it leaks into the boat and therefore it leaks over the outside channel.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Good idea. I assume you mean on the inside so in effect you increase the depth the water can reach in the channel before it leaks into the boat and therefore it leaks over the outside channel.

It does seem to be a standard fitting on cruisers, all my sliding windows are so fitted (with a 30mm ish aluminium plate)

Clearly seen on my galley window :

Versatility-35-24.jpg

The flock seals need to be cleaned occasionally otherwise green algae and dirt will build up. Some cotton buds white vinegar or similar will help with this. Also make sure any drain holes in the frame are clear.

Some condensation on the aluminium frames is inevitable at this time of year. Moisture traps or if you have shore power a dehumidifier may help to manage this . If you are aboard some hours or overnight then heating and ventilation is necessary to control condensation.