Gold licence renewal for 2022 unavailable?

Dave123

Featured Posts

Trying to get a gold licence for next year. Notice that neither EA or CRT have the price list up yet nor will the online system let me buy one. Did I miss the discontinuation of gold licences in the EA licence change consultation?

From the latest NABO news letter trying to discuss the proposed increase is like beating your head against a brick wall. 

The 'consultation' document was some 90 pages so no wonder that not many bothered to work through it and sounds like EA have already decided the outcome.

All sounds rather familiar.

35 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Oh right! They only have a month left or people won't have a licence?😅 happy to pay more

You could get a CRT licence if on CRT waters over winter and then switch to Gold in spring.  When you do that you get a refund on the CRT licence back to the start of the year, so if it is Jan renewal you should get it all back.

7 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Trying to get a gold licence for next year. Notice that neither EA or CRT have the price list up yet nor will the online system let me buy one. Did I miss the discontinuation of gold licences in the EA licence change consultation?

I can design and print you one. I'll even do it for a bit less than you paid for the one you bought last year. 

Hope that helps....

I  was sent this by email on 26 October

Dear GOLD Licence Holder,

GOLD LICENCE

RENEWALS

A few weeks ago we contacted you to let you know about the Environment Agency (EA) consultation about boat registration charges proposals from 1 January 2022.

The consultation closed on the 16 September. The EA are now reviewing the responses before announcing any final decision.  

Their proposals could have a potential impact on the charges for the Gold Licence which we offer jointly with the EA. Therefore we are not able to confirm charges for the 2022 Gold Licence until the Environment Agency know the outcome of the consultation and have their final position approved. We will be working with the EA to consider the feedback to their consultation and what this will mean for the Gold Licence charges.

As a result, the timing for Gold Licence renewals are likely to be slightly delayed. We would normally contact you about your Gold licence renewal in mid-November, but this year we may need to delay this by a few weeks and expect to contact you in early December.

You don’t need to do anything at this stage, but look out for further information and your Gold Licence renewal notification in early December

CHANGES TO THE ACCESS TO THE MIDDLE LEVELS Via GOLD LICENSING

Following review,  from the 1st April 2021,  The Middle Level Commissioners commenced imposing a charge for accessing their navigation.   Historically, GOLD licence holders have been allowed passage onto the Middle Levels free of charge as part of the licence and have as such for the current year honoured free access to all GOLD licence holders.  However from 1st January 2022,  there will be no free access to the Middle Levels as part of the GOLD licence agreement.  We are in discussions with The Middle Level Commissioners regarding this and as few GOLD licence holders currently visit the Middle Levels we believe the impact will be low, however should you wish to navigate within the Middle Levels you will now be required to purchase an Anglian Pass which can be purchased from the Environment Agency https://www.visitanglianwaterways.org/anglian-pass-ways-to-pay

Any queries regarding the access can be directed to The Middle Commissioners https://middlelevel.gov.uk/

Your sincerely

Boat Licencing Team

http://licensing.canalrivertrust.org.uk/images/logo-footer.png  

Canal & River Trust is a charitable company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales with company number 7807276 and charity number 1146792 Registered office address National Waterways Museum, Ellesmere Port, South Pier Road, Ellesmere Port, Cheshire CH65 4FW.

open.php?u=30903061&id=55a8f2929dc14aac894bf4f01fbd14ff

Ah right, thanks. I changed back to a standard CRT licence this year as I was mostly up north but it's the same start date as a gold so I guess I'll just wait a bit longer. Glad to hear they are still offering it. Obviously also emailed CRT about this but as I expected, got a faster and probably more informative response on CWF😁

9 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Ah right, thanks. I changed back to a standard CRT licence this year as I was mostly up north but it's the same start date as a gold so I guess I'll just wait a bit longer. Glad to hear they are still offering it. Obviously also emailed CRT about this but as I expected, got a faster and probably more informative response on CWF😁

One of my comments on the EA condoc is that the current system makes it very hard / expensive to change between EA licences (which only run from 1 April) and Gold (which only run from 1 January). That's probably why I have been stuck on a gold licence since 2011, although I've not visited CRT waterways every year since then ...

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just  had my gold licence renewal email.  2.5% increase on last year. And this change to the overall system:

"You may now apply for pro-rata refund for your licence if you have sold the boat, taken the boat permanently off the water or placed the boat onto a trade brokerage. Refunds are for full months remaining only and are subject to a £30 admin charge, please [note] that if you do receive a refund on your Gold licence then if you come to licence the boat with a Gold [licence] again then the licence will need to start on the 1st January."

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

• 1 month later...