JP2

Bee

Featured Posts

Probably same as importing anything else - present HMRC with a receipt showing what you paid and they will value the item, maybe what you paid, maybe more. Then its 10% duty and then 20% VAT on the valuation plus the duty. And if you pay to get it shipped, I think that gets added in for the duty and VAT. Not cheap post Brexit.

13 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Probably same as importing anything else - present HMRC with a receipt showing what you paid and they will value the item, maybe what you paid, maybe more. Then its 10% duty and then 20% VAT on the valuation plus the duty. And if you pay to get it shipped, I think that gets added in for the duty and VAT. Not cheap post Brexit.

and the agent's fee. Alternatively dismantle and bring in a bit at a time within your personal allowance.

Best of luck with importing it. Business to business is straightforward if you are VAT registered and have an EORI number. If not the pallet firms won't touch it. The Dutch are being particularly anal at the moment with a real jobs worth attitude towards anything coming from private sellers heading for the UK.  I currently have two engines bought from private sellers stuck in the Netherlands due to this nonsense. For once there is no issue with HMRC on our side of the channel. It's all EU cussedness. They will have to sit there until COVID travel restrictions ease and I can go and get them. Meanwhile engines bought through business to business transactions continue to arrive albeit at double the pre Brexit transport cost. 

18 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

Best of luck with importing it. Business to business is straightforward if you are VAT registered and have an EORI number. If not the pallet firms won't touch it. The Dutch are being particularly anal at the moment with a real jobs worth attitude towards anything coming from private sellers heading for the UK.  I currently have two engines bought from private sellers stuck in the Netherlands due to this nonsense. For once there is no issue with HMRC on our side of the channel. It's all EU cussedness. They will have to sit there until COVID travel restrictions ease and I can go and get them. Meanwhile engines bought through business to business transactions continue to arrive albeit at double the pre Brexit transport cost. 

Another Brexit benefit then...

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Another Brexit benefit then...

Well it seems like both sides forgot that there is a whole world of private deals done through the various eBay type marketplaces. If you are dealing with something small DHL or UPS sort the customs stuff for you........ Eventually.......I had an injector pump stuck in one of their depots for eight weeks until they took the HMRC charges from me and finally delivered it. 

However it doesn't work for big stuff.  Personal imports can't weigh more than 1000kgs which doesn't work if you want to bring back more than one engine at a time! 

A Dutch friend suggested that the EU will eventually listen to reason and sort the issues out. I then pointed out that they didn't in forty odd years and that's why we left! 

Hey ho, at least my engines are safely stored for now!

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

A Dutch friend suggested that the EU will eventually listen to reason and sort the issues out.

point of order, not really down to the EU to sort out its the deal Bojo negotiated

36 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

I then pointed out that they didn't in forty odd years and that's why we left! 

really did we have any of these issues when we were in

suggest we leave it there before we are banished to politics

Edited by Phoenix_V