"Firefighters rescue three people from stricken barge in the Rochdale canal "

Stroudwater1

Featured Posts

Oh dear, I can only imagine they took all day to get up from Piccadilly. Its hard though to see if they are going up or heading down. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/firefighters-rescue-three-people-stricken-22232208

Its a little way from Tescos, and it didnt seem too shallow there earlier this year- reasonable water level in the pound too unless some has been run in

Quite a large contingent of firefighters.... 

1_CANAL-BOAT-BECOMES-BEACHED-AS-ELDERLY-COUPLE-HAD-TO-BE-RESCUED-IN-FAILSWORTH.jpg

Edited by Stroudwater1

Facebook says it was taking on water.  That pound is not deep, especially towards the edges, so I suspect its sat on the bottom there, at least at the back.

The could have jumped out and walked to the bank, though standing up in Rochdale silt can be quite difficult.

Just now, zenataomm said:

Strewth!

If I'd called out The Emergency Services every time I'd stemmed up and couldn't get off since 1966, I'd be so well known to them they'd be inviting me to their Christmas parties.

Or you'd banned from dialling 999

- damn, wrong thread!

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

From what I can see of it in the pictures that looks like a Springer to me, in which case, from the lack of freeboard, I suspect it's stuck due to a lack of bouyancy.

Nothing to do with the car/fridge/last MUFC manager/concrete it may have grounded on then.

If they have gone alone and not requested CRT assistance then you have to ask if they are new to the waterways and just bought a new boat to live on without the requisite information gathering first.

Just now, Rose Narrowboats said:

Or you'd banned from dialling 999

- damn, wrong thread!

I can see the rudder

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Nothing to do with the car/fridge/last MUFC manager/concrete it may have grounded on then.

If they have gone alone and not requested CRT assistance then you have to ask if they are new to the waterways and just bought a new boat to live on without the requisite information gathering first.

I can see the rudder

Did you know than MUFC started out as the Newton Heath Club?, so quite appropriate to place the ex manager there.

Thats actually the Failsworth pound so above the really bad bits, a few boats even overnight there. Not too much rubbish but it does have a big Tesco so obviously they use it to store spare shopping trolleys.

There is only one CRT volunteer so the majority of boats make the trip without assistance, though quite a few have reported having a hard time recently (us included 😀)

A friend told me about this and showed me a video yesterday evening. He'd been driving past and seen all the fire engines, ambulance etc parked up on the main road and stopped to see what was going on.  There was certainly a significant contingent of emergency services in attendance. He doesn't know about boats but did say that the people were rescued off a sinking boat. However, the story in the MEN says it got stuck on something and doesn't mention anything about it taking on water. The photo shows that it is right by the flats (Ben Brierley wharf) overlooking the basin, at the point where the A62 crosses the canal. It could be possible that something large like a motorbike had been chucked in from the road or path down and if the boat was coming from Rochdale towards Manchester it could get stuck on said obstruction as it came through the bridgehole.

2 hours ago, BilgePump said:

A friend told me about this and showed me a video yesterday evening. He'd been driving past and seen all the fire engines, ambulance etc parked up on the main road and stopped to see what was going on.  There was certainly a significant contingent of emergency services in attendance. He doesn't know about boats but did say that the people were rescued off a sinking boat. However, the story in the MEN says it got stuck on something and doesn't mention anything about it taking on water. The photo shows that it is right by the flats (Ben Brierley wharf) overlooking the basin, at the point where the A62 crosses the canal. It could be possible that something large like a motorbike had been chucked in from the road or path down and if the boat was coming from Rochdale towards Manchester it could get stuck on said obstruction as it came through the bridgehole.

Had it actually been a sinking then such a turnout would have seemed entirely proportionate and welcome. In the panic of a situation, most folk (and I'd probably be amongst them) would make the 999 call as soon as they realise they are in trouble and worry about the embarrassment if it is not as bad as first seems. I am not sur4e that I see anything much about the story to warrant the kind of blame some want to create!

35 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Had it actually been a sinking then such a turnout would have seemed entirely proportionate and welcome. In the panic of a situation, most folk (and I'd probably be amongst them) would make the 999 call as soon as they realise they are in trouble and worry about the embarrassment if it is not as bad as first seems. I am not sur4e that I see anything much about the story to warrant the kind of blame some want to create!

The reports on facebook do suggest that it probably was sinking, and that water is still coming out of it this morning (dunno if that's its bilge pump or a bigger pump, or just somebody having a shower 😀)  Its not the best place to be stuck, though much better than a few locks down, and its a long way to a drydock.

Manchester can be a difficult trip and some impacts with obstructions are inevitable.

Have just been down down that way in the car to Aldi. The boat is still there slewed across the canal at the same angle. Doesn't appear to be sitting very low in the water or badly listing. On a cold November evening I wouldn't say that the emergency response was OTT. A stuck boat in the dark could easily turn to people in the water if it had been sinking. Better too many rescuers than too few. Hopefully the owners will be able to retrieve it with some assistance.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Have just been down down that way in the car to Aldi. The boat is still there slewed across the canal at the same angle. Doesn't appear to be sitting very low in the water or badly listing. On a cold November evening I wouldn't say that the emergency response was OTT. A stuck boat in the dark could easily turn to people in the water if it had been sinking. Better too many rescuers than too few. Hopefully the owners will be able to retrieve it with some assistance.

That is very low in the water for that design of boat IMHO. Pretty sure it's on the bottom in fact.

10 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

That is very low in the water for that design of boat IMHO. Pretty sure it's on the bottom in fact.

The back will be on the bottom, the front is in deeper water, but I suspect its no more than 36" there, likely a bit less.

My friend got a big prop foul there a couple of years ago and we tried to pull the boat into the side, ended up pretty much in that very same position but t'other way about,  got the front in just close enough to be a very big step onto the bank.

27 minutes ago, dmr said:

The back will be on the bottom, the front is in deeper water, but I suspect its no more than 36" there, likely a bit less.

The hnbc fleet came through on the way to Hebden Bridge a couple of years ago. So there must be a 36" deep route through there when the pound is on weir. Although it was bumpy in more than a few places!

Edited by David Mack

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The hnbc fleet came through on the way to Hebden Bridge a couple of years ago. So there must be a 36" deep route through there when the pound is on weir. Although it was bumpy in more than a few places!

Yes, and some of them said "never again" 😀. We are about 32" and get through but It feels a bit silty, so 36" but a bit stodgy is probably right.   Its quite a long pound, I reckon its the longer pounds that silt up, the short ones maybe scour themselves with the lock flows (but not all of them)?????

I have heard that CRT are thinking about a bit of dredging on some of the shallow bits (Manchester end), I am trying to make a list of the places where we struggle, any input from you would be great.

37 minutes ago, dmr said:

I have heard that CRT are thinking about a bit of dredging on some of the shallow bits (Manchester end), I am trying to make a list of the places where we struggle, any input from you would be great.

Between lock 83 and lock 65 in Manchester and all the way through Rochdale. Whilst they are at it can they move the fence back a bit on the offside at lock 51 or I will have to give up beer.

Edited by Midnight

6 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Between lock 83 and lock 65 in Manchester and all the way through Rochdale. Whilst they are at it can they move the fence back a bit on the offside at lock 51 or I will have to give up beer.

I thought Rochdale was ok except for a couple of huge obstructions?. Many of the bridge 'oles up to Smithy Bridge are full of stuff too.

I think lock 51 is just the canal version of a Yorkshire stone "squeeze", but its good, as it did it I also thought "when I can no longer do this lock its time to cut down on the beer", giving up is a bit drastic. And as long as the gate on the towpath side opens fully (which it didn't)  you don't have to go to the other side.

Rochdale is a disgusting rubbish dump it's been like that for as long as I remember. This year I reached a new record - down the weedhatch twice within 20 yards. The whole journey from Castlefield to Littleborough is a pain apart from the locks up to Slattocks from Irk Aquaduct. The Yorkshire side by contrast is delightful probably because Charles the Lockie keeps it that way.  It has the potential to be a great canal if C&RT and the local councils cared a bit more about it. Unless needs must I probably will not go that way again. Just too much to stress about.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, dmr said:

Yes, and some of them said "never again" 😀. We are about 32" and get through but It feels a bit silty, so 36" but a bit stodgy is probably right.   Its quite a long pound, I reckon its the longer pounds that silt up, the short ones maybe scour themselves with the lock flows (but not all of them)?????

The worst parts we found was the pound between lock 70 and 69. As you mentioned the part pictured between 66 and 65 is theoretically a winding point we managed to wind but only by using 3/4 of the canal and reversing a couple of times. 
the part just below lock 81 is not too good, it’s narrow from the shelving remains. 
the areas where the concrete still exists should ideally be sorted so more water can be stored in the canal. 
the winding point in the pound between 80 and 81 needs dredging too. 
it’s all such a shame as it’s a brilliant waterway but spoilt by people who seem to have no interest in life. At least it means orchids growing on the towpath and sides, especially between 72 and 70. 
I hope they don’t harm the terrapin in pound 70 to 69 though🙂

Did not spot the terrapin or the orchids, but have seen loads of orchids on the Bridgewater by Old Trafford (till Peel holdings mowed them all down).

We struggled at 80 and 81, its not good as if you have to let water down right at the start it just knocks on for the rest of the ascent.

69 to 70 is bad, and with a lot of stuff under the footbridge (as you would expect). This is the "lower Newton Heath Narrows"?. It would be great if it was deeper here. I suspect it would cost a fortune to make it wide again, I have heard that it might be toxic waste under the concrete. Also are the narrows now part of the history of the Rochdale????

Somebody threw eggs at us below lock 71, could not see them so they were coming a long way, they got us on the third or forth egg so was quite impressed.

68 to 69 (upper Newton Heath Narrows?) was really bad for us, we took a load of water getting up 69 as the bottom gates were seriously leaky. Its a longish pound so it took ages to find water to fill it back up. I believe CRT have now fixed that lock 69 problem.

Its a very deprived area so its not really a surprise that some of the locals don't look after the place, I am surprised that most of them are so friendly.