Local Knowledge of Leeds Please

dmr

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Trouble is owner will be working so driving into and out of central Leeds everyday might be tedious.

We always dump the car near a station outside Leeds and use the train.

New Pudsey is a couple of miles from the canal at Rodley, has a large free carpark and is about three quid into Leeds.

From the other side Woodlesford station is close to the lock and mooring.

Of course by train Leeds is only an hour out of Todmorden, with either a walk or the water taxi down to the Armouries/ Leeds Dock

Add: The QPark next to Leeds station is fifty quid a day ...

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

New Pudsey is a couple of miles from the canal at Rodley, has a large free carpark and is about three quid into Leeds.

Or a bit further out of Leeds, Apperley Bridge Station is close to the canal.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I stayed over night tied up next to the Unison building, which I think is at Granary wharf, but offside, very peaceful. No pub. 

Water Lane Boathouse pub is about two buildings along from the Unison building, and there are plenty of pubs and bars close by.

Edited by David Mack

If  you need a station with a car park  in that area the obvious choice is Kirkstall Forge Station which is 5 mins from the canal along a good footpath.Not sure there a re any designated visitor moorings at Kirkstall and the edge are a bit overgrown but some boats seem to manage. There are some  bollards just by Bridge 222  and a fat boat was moored there Saturday, There is also a small car park by the bridge. If you do  moor near there I highly recommend The Bridge  pub,good beer and food and you can sit in a huge Tipi with open log fires!

13 minutes ago, tizzy said:

If  you need a station with a car park  in that area the obvious choice is Kirkstall Forge Station which is 5 mins from the canal along a good footpath.Not sure there a re any designated visitor moorings at Kirkstall and the edge are a bit overgrown but some boats seem to manage. There are some  bollards just by Bridge 222  and a fat boat was moored there Saturday, There is also a small car park by the bridge. If you do  moor near there I highly recommend The Bridge  pub,good beer and food and you can sit in a huge Tipi with open log fires!

Sadly we will be driving over from the Rochdale, boat moving for a day, then driving back, with owner arriving at the boat in the evening, so no pubs and drinking for us.

Granary wharf is the only nice place likely to have space in Leeds. The river pontoon by the services was pretty battered by the floods and hadn't been fixed (in June at least). Only 2 boat spaces in Clarence dock and they are always full. Granary wharf is nice and hardly any extra journey from the Armoury/Clarence dock. Leave lines loose when away though, as despite the back pump levels can drop a bit. Apparently people do sometimes overnight at Kirkstall, seen one of the hire companies (and hotel boat I think) post about this but they were probably not leaving boats unattended. The brewery there is fab and I really considered it but had teamed up with another local boat and they wanted to push on to Rodley, which is the standard thing to do. 

Boat had a couple of nights at Granary then had to spend a night in the "bad bits" as Lock keepers only available at 9am. Found another boat to moor next to.

Today we got the boat up to good bits. It all feels safe in that area but the lockkeeper told us its not.

You might need to chop several feet off your boat to get there, or have you now got a little one as a spare, to travel on the C&H and L&L? AFAIK 62ft on the l&l. 

Note to self, read all the thread before commenting - enjoy your boat moving job. 

Edited by Jim Riley
Incompetent staff!

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Make sure to stop 200 yards before bridge 209 at Shipley.

It's a longer walk to Aldi but is directly outside Saltaire Brewery Tap ...

We are just giving a bit of help to the owner who now has a very full on seasonal job, but she can do the Saltaire leg. And as I said, this bit of boating involves us driving home so no drinking is getting done. We could maybe have a little celebration when she gets to Skipton and use the train. What are the good pubs in Skipton???.

I have of course extensively sampled Saltaire beers in the Golden Lion. Should be down in Tod next week, might just manage a beer or two before the next lockdown hits us 😟

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

We are just giving a bit of help to the owner who now has a very full on seasonal job, but she can do the Saltaire leg. And as I said, this bit of boating involves us driving home so no drinking is getting done. We could maybe have a little celebration when she gets to Skipton and use the train. What are the good pubs in Skipton???.

I have of course extensively sampled Saltaire beers in the Golden Lion. Should be down in Tod next week, might just manage a beer or two before the next lockdown hits us 😟

Best pub in Skipton is probably The Beer Engine...

50 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Make sure to stop 200 yards before bridge 209 at Shipley.

It's a longer walk to Aldi but is directly outside Saltaire Brewery Tap ...

Or walk up Saltaire Road, not the towpath, the main road up hill, and you will come across Fanny's Ale & Cider House where you can chose from 9 beer engines and enjoy your choice in gaslight. Wonderful. 

• Happy 1