Mikuni Mx40

DOP_74

Featured Posts

Started having issues with my MX40 last night. It will start and fire up yet cant decide which power setting to be on. It may run flat out for 2 or 3 mins but then cuts down to low then has an ignition failure. It will start again on its own but the combustion is up and down constantly after a few minutes. Getting 1 flash from the control box. Ive taken the usual culprits out to have a look for carbon build up, but there doesnt seem to be any at all. Swirl holes arnt blocked, gauze is clean, flame sensor was clean. Fuel and water pumps are running but it just cant keep its combustion for longer than 10 mins. I suspect a failed control box.

Dont think this unit has seen much work since it was fitted in 2005 but over the last 3 weeks its ran all weekend without fail. 

Surely this cant be the dreaded red diesel issue, im going to try it on standard white but i dont think it will change anything.

All wiring and plugs been checked and all fine and the heater is getting a good 12v supply of 12.6V.

Anyone any ideas? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

received_1029835201134261.jpeg

received_321390802796710.jpeg

received_1411470065914532.jpeg

1 hour ago, DOP_74 said:

Surely this cant be the dreaded red diesel issue, im going to try it on standard white but i dont think it will change anything.

Don't waste your time red and white have been the same for quite a few years now.

You could try it on kerosene that might help 👹

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Are you sure that there is no air trapped in the pipes? Is the header tank topped up?

Nothing trapped. Ive found with mine  that if theres a major air lock it quickly overheats and knocks itself off. 

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

My (big brother) MX60 has a filter built in to a sleeever / tube which also contains a filter - This did get blocked some years ago.

Migh be worth having a look if all else fails?

Yeah i would have to have a look on a diagram to see where it is. Thanks!