Elton Moss

AndyE

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But that doesn't exclude an owner's personal or family name. Nor presumably the name of a former company which no longer exists.

And does it mean a tug-style boat owner, who has no intention of offering commercial towage services, should not add words such as "Towage and Steerage" beneath the owner's name?

I don't write the 'rules',  just point out that they exist and you have agreed to them.

If you want an answer to your question you may have to speak with C&RT as I doubt anyone else has a clue what C&RT are thinking.

16 hours ago, AndyE said:

Any experience of Elton Moss? Both positive and negative views would be much appreciated. 

Only caveat to my request: I’ve heard all the Eton Mess gags that I need to, thanks. 

We love our Elton Moss boat. Its an older 2005 one and is an ex-shareboat. No idea where it is in the 'quality' scale, but it seems sturdy... No issues other than me not understanding stuff really!

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

We love our Elton Moss boat. Its an older 2005 one and is an ex-shareboat. No idea where it is in the 'quality' scale, but it seems sturdy... No issues other than me not understanding stuff really!

Thanks Rob, I appreciate the relevant comment… much more useful than the “banter” (bickering?) about maker’s marks. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

What about your Sea Otter?

Our boat came with a cast 'Mel Davis' oval plaque not unlike the one shown by our apian friend. But it wasn't attached to the boat, so we had the option of displaying it or not. It has ended up positioned fairly discreetly near the morse control.

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

What about your Sea Otter?

Our Sea otter used to have a vynil bit stuck on the inside of one of the panels at the stern. It was not visible from outside the boat. 

When we had the boat repainted we removed the vynil (using a hair drier) and it was never replaced.  

Not quite the same as something painted which is visible to all.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Our boat came with a cast 'Mel Davis' oval plaque not unlike the one shown by our apian friend. But it wasn't attached to the boat, so we had the option of displaying it or not. It has ended up positioned fairly discreetly near the morse control.

We've got one of those attached to the top of the swan neck, and another attached to the water tank hatch. Both of them are suitably weathered !

IMG_20211120_181756.jpg.c684b340f32482ffe2aafb83aab17d12.jpg

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, haggis said:

Our Sea otter used to have a vynil bit stuck on the inside of one of the panels at the stern. It was not visible from outside the boat. 

When we had the boat repainted we removed the vynil (using a hair drier) and it was never replaced.  

Not quite the same as something painted which is visible to all.

I wondered because they all seem to start off with the builders name on the stantion for the morse control

5 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I wondered because they all seem to start off with the builders name on the stantion for the morse control

You have made me wonder now ! I remember it being on the inside but it is a long time since it was removed for the repaint ,- 2002 I think

57 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Lots of boats use to have it on the electrical panel, oil, charge, start switch, techo 

It will all have to go in the CRT (Alan Enfields fault) sanitation of the waterway system, the only things that will be safe will be the horrible blue signs, primer grey and red narrowboats and anything that pretends a horse once pulled it.

23 hours ago, AndyE said:

Any experience of Elton Moss? Both positive and negative views would be much appreciated. 

Only caveat to my request: I’ve heard all the Eton Mess gags that I need to, thanks. 

We had a share in one of their boats, they are a decent quality build, at least ours was. If you are thinking of buying a share, a lot depends on the rest of the syndicate. We were very disappointed in that respect. Most treated it like a hire boat, no respect for it at all. It needed a complete repaint before it was four years old. Maintenance fees are what needs to be looked at closely and scrutinised before the AGM to question any anomolies. Good luck.

3 minutes ago, Doug_ said:

We had a share in one of their boats, they are a decent quality build, at least ours was. If you are thinking of buying a share, a lot depends on the rest of the syndicate. We were very disappointed in that respect. Most treated it like a hire boat, no respect for it at all. It needed a complete repaint before it was four years old. Maintenance fees are what needs to be looked at closely and scrutinised before the AGM to question any anomolies. Good luck.

Thanks Doug that’s really helpful. I was thinking in terms of a solo purchase, but at the back of my mind the boat share scenario was also lingering. You’ve just shone a bright light on that for me whilst at the same time reassuring me of the EM quality. Cheers. 

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

It will all have to go in the CRT (Alan Enfields fault) sanitation of the waterway system, the only things that will be safe will be the horrible blue signs, primer grey and red narrowboats and anything that pretends a horse once pulled it.

I'm inclined to disagree.

Firstly, it seems to me that an essential element of advertising is payment by the company being advertised for the advert. When a boat simply has the builder name written on the side, the payment element is missing so it could be argued it does not meet the definition of advertising.

Secondly, ... ... Dammit I've forgotten the second reason I was gonna suggest "Elton Mess" on the side of a boat doesn't count as advertising. Watch this space.

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well, it cannot happen now - every boat with the makers name displayed (or any commercial business) must paint it out - you all signed up to this on the licence application.

10.10.The Boat must not display an association with, or advertise, any company, business or service without Our express consent in writing

This is not the case. This clause was in the proposed T&C that were published during the consultation process but this clause was removed from the T&C when they were published after the consultation. The current T&C (Link to current T&C) does not contain this clause.

The closest I can find in the current T&C is

4.3.3. the Boat’s livery does not display an association with any company engaged in a boat share business.

which is to distinguish between private boat share schemes and commercial boat chare schemes.

Half the thread is a moot discussion.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, PeterF said:

This is not the case. This clause was in the proposed T&C that were published during the consultation process but this clause was removed from the T&C when they were published after the consultation. The current T&C (Link to current T&C) does not contain this clause.

Thankyou, I have saved the updated version.

The one I quoted was issued in June on the C&RT website, amazingly the one you linked to is still titled and dated June 2021 (43943-general-terms-and-conditions-for-boat-licenses-june-2021-searchable-file) although at the bottom of the page it does show V3 Oct 2021.

Amazing that it takes 3-Go's to get an updated list of T&Cs issued.

I note they are still suggesting that there is / will be a separate licence for CCers.

On 20/11/2021 at 10:25, Alan de Enfield said:

Well, it cannot happen now - every boat with the makers name displayed (or any commercial business) must paint it out - you all signed up to this on the licence application.

10.10.The Boat must not display an association with, or advertise, any company, business or service without Our express consent in writing

Not any more it isn't.

Looks like the Piper owners are going to have some expensive welding done then! 😱

On 21/11/2021 at 09:45, PeterF said:

4.3.3. the Boat’s livery does not display an association with any company engaged in a boat share business.

which is to distinguish between private boat share schemes and commercial boat chare schemes.

I think there is still a Challenger boat about

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think there is still a Challenger boat about

Yes there is and it is named Challenger too!

The Eton Mess boats all have a defective speed control, they are incapable of slowing down  even when the "owner" is at "tick over", they shout " It won't go any slower!"

50 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes there is and it is named Challenger too!

The Eton Mess boats all have a defective speed control, they are incapable of slowing down  even when the "owner" is at "tick over", they shout " It won't go any slower!"

ooo thats not true Tracy!!  :)