Elton Moss

AndyE

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, MtB said:

They look nice enough boats, but I find it irritating beyond all reason the way they conspicuously sign-write "Built by Elton Moss" on both sides of every boat.

If I ever own one, painting over that will be my first job. 

I agree but they are not the only boat builders who do that! In the unlikely event that we ever have a boar built, there is no way it will carry advertising for the builder or anyone else. 

9 minutes ago, haggis said:

I agree but they are not the only boat builders who do that! In the unlikely event that we ever have a boar built, there is no way it will carry advertising for the builder or anyone else. 

If you buy a car, will you remove the maker's badge from its bonnet too?

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

No. A completely different thing  

I heard you the first time. No, it is exactly the same thing. Oh, and makes' names on road vehicles need not be small.

Toyota.jpg

Edited by Athy

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

If you buy a car, will you remove the maker's badge from its bonnet too?

Actually yes. I also remove any advertising stickers in the window AND change the number plates for Ebay ones that only have a post code on them which is nothing to do with the car maker. Unfortunately it is illegal to use number plates that do not give any indication as to where they were made. I also cannot change the shape of the car but to be honest in this day and age it is very difficult to recognise one maker's design from another's.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Actually yes. I also remove any advertising stickers in the window AND change the number plates for Ebay ones that only have a post code on them which is nothing to do with the car maker. Unfortunately it is illegal to use number plates that do not give any indication as to where they were made. I also cannot change the shape of the car but to be honest in this day and age it is very difficult to recognise one maker's design from another's.

So you are a bad driver and change the shape by crashing it

9 hours ago, MtB said:

They look nice enough boats, but I find it irritating beyond all reason the way they conspicuously sign-write "Built by Elton Moss" on both sides of every boat.

What does drive me insane, is the bloomin name of the owner and family on the side :banghead:

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What does drive me insane, is the bloomin name of the owner and family on the side :banghead:

This is surely just perpetuating a tradition? Joe Skinner, for example, had his name  (as "'Josh Skinner') on 'Friendship'.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

It's optional. 

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Well, it cannot happen now - every boat with the makers name displayed (or any commercial business) must paint it out - you all signed up to this on the licence application.

10.10.The Boat must not display an association with, or advertise, any company, business or service without Our express consent in writing

2 minutes ago, PCSB said:

It's optional. 

Not any more it isn't.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The hulls lines are not particularly pleasing , very much a clone boat (thanks CarlT), what you are paying for with an EM is an up date modern style fitout with all electrical motions, whistles and stuff. This isnt to say the hulls are not well put together, just that they are workmanlike to give maximum interior space.

Some of the widebeams are hideous and square at the back, but inside are the height of the luxurious flat you always wanted(floating).

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well, it cannot happen now - every boat with the makers name displayed (or any commercial business) must paint it out - you all signed up to this on the licence application.

10.10.The Boat must not display an association with, or advertise, any company, business or service without Our express consent in writing

Not any more it isn't.

You tell that to "Mines a Bickerstaffe" then.

What is in 10.10 has no relevance to what really happens on the waterways, however much CRT would like to dictate otherwise.

26 minutes ago, matty40s said:

What is in 10.10 has no relevance to what really happens on the waterways, however much CRT would like to dictate otherwise.

Our boat displays the name and logo of a still extant record company. Any request by CART to paint it out would be met by a brief and succinct reply.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Is there a name on your house?

Actualy there is. Same as a boat has a name, but I dont have my family name stuck on the front of the house. Besides it would be allowed as its a nice 1897 house not some modern crap :D

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But that doesn't exclude an owner's personal or family name. Nor presumably the name of a former company which no longer exists.

And does it mean a tug-style boat owner, who has no intention of offering commercial towage services, should not add words such as "Towage and Steerage" beneath the owner's name?

Edited by David Mack

Yeah, but if you've sweated blood and money fitting out a shell why not a nice brass or painted plate on it. I make these with anything you like on them, 'Powered by National' or Gardner or 'Horse' or built by any name you like so long as it fits. Mods feel free to remove if its advertising (great christmas present though eh?)

2021-10-24 001.JPG

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, Bee said:

Yeah, but if you've sweated blood and money fitting out a shell why not a nice brass or painted plate on it. I make these with anything you like on them, 'Powered by National' or Gardner or 'Horse' or built by any name you like so long as it fits. Mods feel free to remove if its advertising (great christmas present though eh?)

2021-10-24 001.JPG

I can't imagine anu members buying Christmas presents from you, but I can see no objection to your post.

Edited by Athy