Boat St.Bride

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Does anyone recognise or know anything about the approx 15m boat St Bride apparently abandonned on the Canal du Midi? It has the UK SSR registry 121451.

It does look a bit abandoned'. I wonder if the SSR has expired, if they not renewed every 5 years then the number lapses.

14 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Could be, but the SSR office don't release ownership details anyway. What is amazing is that the two bikes have not been nicked.

Tam

When I did my personal Tour de France, the B&B owners thought I was quite mad locking my bike, and it was my Colnago! 

Over the years, in UK, I've lost two or three half decent bikes, and one which had completely flat tires, in the time it took me to put the kettle on it had disappeared. I chased around on my remaining working bike, but no sign of the two drunken women who just happened to be passing. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

Could be, but the SSR office don't release ownership details anyway. What is amazing is that the two bikes have not been nicked.

Tam

I had a similar thought: you can tell it's not in Britain, which is a somewhat sad reflection on our country's mores.

In the 1970s a friend of mine went travelling around the world for several months. He left his fairly tired old bike outside his flat in St. Albans. When he got back from furrin parts, he was pleasantly surprised to find that it was still there. The next morning he decided to cycle to the shops; when he opened the front door, he found that the bike had gone. In the words of Mr. Chuck Berry, you never can tell.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I had a similar thought: you can tell it's not in Britain, which is a somewhat sad reflection on our country's mores.

In the 1970s a friend of mine went travelling around the world for several months. He left his fairly tired old bike outside his flat in St. Albans. When he got back from furrin parts, he was pleasantly surprised to find that it was still there. The next morning he decided to cycle to the shops; when he opened the front door, he found that the bike had gone. In the words of Mr. Chuck Berry, you never can tell.

Perhaps it was nicked by efalumps and woosels.

According to Tigger in Pooh Bear stories, they only steal the things you hold most dear!

Bikes certainly get stolen in France and Belgium. In fact it’s the most common thing taken off boats. I had an old upright bike which had no gears and a back pedal brake. It cost the sum of 12.50 euros. Over the years it carried gas bottles and loads of shopping and never went missing even though I wasn’t bothered and I left it at railway stations all over France when I went to get the car and it was always there until one day I got back to the station to see the local scrap man  loading it up so that decided it. 
Brought a nice folding bike with gears and took it on the train with me.

• Happy 1