Is your boat INSURED?

LadyG

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've had a visa debit card for years, never had a problem, I use it for Amazon, the previous card still shows.

I don't use credit cards except for major purchases, cos the consumer protection is much enhanced. 

Mastercard and Visa are two different companies, they would not be interchangeable. 

But they are supplied to retail customers by retail "bankers" so if a bank decided that Visa was no longer in the bets interest of their customers they can issue a Mastercard replacemnt. Whichever clearing company is used the cards tend to carry the bank's brand.

Anyone who uses a debit card on the internet is a fool.

If your debit card gets scammed and it will one day, you stand to lose everything in your account and more.

With a credit card  your liability is limited and the card providers pick up on unusual transactions quickly.

Last month one of my Visa cards was scammed** for a few hundred pounds, the card issuer picked up on it days before I realised and blocked all transactions, if that had been my normal debit card I could have lost a lot but it cost me nothing.

My credit card for internet use has a low limit < £1500 and since eBay have insited on paying me via a bank account I have an account that has no money in it specially for eBay payments.

Yes I'm cautious but you cant be too cautious when it comes to cards on the internet.

** dont know where or when, I suspect it was from a hack on a suppliers database but dont know which one.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't use credit cards except for major purchases, cos the consumer protection is much enhanced.

I think you have this back to front. Consumer protection with credit card purchases is more comprehensive than with debit card purchases, when the transaction is over £100. 

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think you have this back to front. Consumer protection with credit card purchases is more comprehensive than with debit card purchases, when the transaction is over £100. 

No, I think she has worded it complicated but correct.

Just now, matty40s said:

No, I think she has worded it complicated but correct.

Perhaps. Stripping out LadyG's the nested negatives, one arrives at "I I use credit cards for major purchases, cos the consumer protection is much enhanced."

I was clumsily trying to point out "the consumer protection is much enhanced" for minor purchases too, provided they are over £100.

On 18/11/2021 at 21:28, ditchcrawler said:

Can someone summarise this, is it that I should apply for an Amazon Mastercard then cross t's and dot i's? 

Edited by LadyG

I had an email from Amazon to say that Amazon business will still be accepting Visa cards......so its all a bit of posturing Id suggest....of course Amazons own card is a Mastercard....I now have about 10 Amazon business accounts as with each new one I qualify for Business Prime......if they want to keep letting me open them Im happy to oblige....means free next day delivery and no minimum spend!

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

eh? 

Yes, as of January Amazon will not accept a UK based Visa card as a means of payment. Whether this has shot them in the foot or not we will not know.
However if you change your payment method to a debit card they should credit you with £20. I finally got my £20 but I had to work to get it.

• Greenie 1

Visa’s chief executive called Amazon’s decision to ban UK-issued credit cards from its platform “odd” and “unfortunate,” but said he expects the spat to be resolved. “Clearly, we’re in a challenging negotiation,” Al Kelly told the Financial Times. “What’s different here is that Amazon unfortunately decided to take the negotiation challenges that we’re having public and oddly has chosen to threaten to punish consumers.” Amazon on Wednesday notified customers it would stop accepting UK-issued Visa credit cards starting next year and offered affected customers £20 off their next purchase using an alternative payment method. The retailer also said it was weighing dropping Visa as the partner for its co-branded card in the US.  “This should not be considered a shock, as Amazon has been using every negotiating tactic available to bring down the cost of processing payments,”

Autonomous analyst Kenneth Suchoski wrote in a note that said Amazon’s move would have little impact on Visa’s bottom line.

Amazon told UK customers it was acting because of Visa’s high fees. However, Mastercard and Visa set nearly identical transactions fees in the UK, according to payments firm Bambora. “I find it quite odd that they’re claiming they did this because of the high cost of acceptance of these in the UK,” Kelly said. “It’s just absolutely inaccurate.”

Visa hits back at Amazon over claims its fees are too high | Financial Times (ft.com)

• Greenie 2