Is your boat INSURED?

LadyG

Featured Posts

Seems simple enough, if you can’t access your policy online to check you have one in effect, check the payments are going out to ensure you are actually insured and some dimwit hasn’t deleted your policy.

Think thats what the good lady means.

Although i did once have a life assurance policy that had matured and they kept taking payments for 18months before i noticed (it was about £20 a month and i was young and did a lot of spending) so its not necessarily an acid test.

• Greenie 1

We used to have our cars insured through Admiral. The renewal date was November. My daughter changed her car in January so I rang Admiral only to be told we were not insured. Apparently because Admiral use an offshore Italian account my Visa card had refused payment. Nobody thought to tell me though

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I see Amazon are going to stop taking Visa as well

I see Visa have put their fees up from 0.3% to 1.5% per transaction because they can now we are out of the EU. This will hit a lot of small traders very hard. Visa is the culprit in this case not Amazon 😱

I will be moving all my cards away from Visa as I won't use a debit card on the internet

• Greenie 1

I think I would try ringing the insurance company that you think you are insured with. I suppose that that might be difficult if you cannot use your phone properly though.

And what the hell has Amazon and Visa cards got to do with this thread????????????????????????

19 minutes ago, pete.i said:

And what the hell has Amazon and Visa cards got to do with this thread????????????????????????

Because the OP thinks that a  card default might have caused a policy to lapse??

Off topic now, but I think there may be some confusion between Visa Debit and Visa Credit cards. Amazon accepted my updated Visa Debit card yesterday

18 minutes ago, pete.i said:

I suppose that that might be difficult if you cannot use your phone properly though.

I suppose it must be difficult when your keyboard won't behave itself either. Do you know that it's just printed about twenty question marks?

Visa is absolutely relevant to the topic, as Tonka mentioned that he used it to pay for his insurance, or tried to. But in any case, part of the appeal of threads is that they often leave the main line of the topic and travel down interesting branch lines.

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Because the OP thinks that a  card default might have caused a policy to lapse??

Off topic now, but I think there may be some confusion between Visa Debit and Visa Credit cards. Amazon accepted my updated Visa Debit card yesterday

They'll accept your visa credit card too.  It's from next year they won't accept Visa credit, 19th January 2022.

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'm not going to expand on this, but if you  can't access the actual policy online, if that how it works, then check the payments have been made and no loose cannon has pressed the delete button. 

please don't.  we are sufficiently confused already.

33 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I see Visa have put their fees up from 0.3% to 1.5% per transaction because they can now we are out of the EU. This will hit a lot of small traders very hard. Visa is the culprit in this case not Amazon 😱

I will be moving all my cards away from Visa as I won't use a debit card on the internet

I don't think Amazon are alone. This year my business and personal bank have changed both my debit cards from Visa to Mastercard... this is obviously why....

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

please don't.  we are sufficiently confused already.

Blind guess here but I'm going to go with the OP contacted their insurer about a recent incident and damage to their boat only to find that they are not currently insured and hence the repair to said damage won't be covered by insurance.

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I don't think Amazon are alone. This year my business and personal bank have changed both my debit cards from Visa to Mastercard... this is obviously why....

Same with ours. We did wonder why but it has become apparent now.

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Ours already had the credit cards with MC, but just got a new debit card and that has changed from Visa to MC, so I think the banks are all ditching Visa.

3 hours ago, pete.i said:

I think I would try ringing the insurance company that you think you are insured with. I suppose that that might be difficult if you cannot use your phone properly though.

I was just pointing out that Amazon as well as an insurance company were refusing Visa as it was stated that someone found they were without insurance because the insurance company declined the payment. I am sorry if it offended you

9 hours ago, Idle Days said:

I wish you hadn't written that!

Better than elephants ...

4 hours ago, Athy said:

My Lloyd's Visa debit card is due for replacement early next year. It will be interesting to see whether the new one bears a Visa or a Mastercard logo.

Isn't Mastercard what used to be Unreasonable Access, decades ago?

It spoiled quite a good joke when the name changed.

I've had a visa debit card for years, never had a problem, I use it for Amazon, the previous card still shows.

I don't use credit cards except for major purchases, cos the consumer protection is much enhanced. 

Mastercard and Visa are two different companies, they would not be interchangeable. 

Edited by LadyG