My phone won't call 999

LadyG

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I was thinking of a tragedy on the R Calder were two magnet fishermen drowned.

It was a father and son,and one jumped in to free a stuck magnet,and when he didn't re-appear the other jumped in to try to save him.

The bodies were found to be standing upright in the mud.

Did they have 'segs' in their boots ?

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It's illegal to possess a banned knife or weapon. ... carry any knife in public without good reason, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long. sell a knife to anyone under the age of 18, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long. use any knife in a threatening way.

Knives where the blades 'lock-open' (to stop them collapsing/closing and cutting off your finger), are illegal in any size.

Is it not the case that one can carry any knife, locking or not, with good reason?   Or, to put it another way, the offence is to carry such an otherwise illegal knife without good reason.  And the exemption relates to folding knives (which has been held to exclude lock-knives) less than three inches - for which it is not an offence even without good reason.

What might be a good reason for carrying a flick knife is another subject; to get your retaliation in first against another knife-carrier is probably insufficient reason.

5 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Is it not the case that one can carry any knife, locking or not, with good reason?   Or, to put it another way, the offence is to carry such an otherwise illegal knife without good reason.  And the exemption relates to folding knives (which has been held to exclude lock-knives) less than three inches - for which it is not an offence even without good reason.

A very cumbersome way of defining it, but - YES you are correct.

A locking knife with (even) a 1" blade is illegal to own unless you have 'good reason' and it is beholden on the owner to provide the good reason, not on the Police to prove you do not have good reason.

Very similar to C&RT and the requirement that you must prove to their satisfation that you are moving enough, not them to prove that you are not.

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A locking knife with (even) a 1" blade is illegal to own unless you have 'good reason' and it is beholden on the owner to provide the good reason, not on the Police to prove you do not have good reason.

Is it illegal to own one (without good reason)?  I though the offence was to have such a knife in a public place (without good reason), not merely to own one.

4 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Is it illegal to own one (without good reason)?  I though the offence was to have such a knife in a public place (without good reason), not merely to own one.

SORRY - LAZY TYPING / THOUGHTS

Yes it is not illegal to own, but illegal to carry without good reason

Going back to scaring off idiots banging on the boat, perhaps a recording of a large dog barking could be played? Have to think about how you could keep same handy, as dogs tend to be a bit quick off the mark when they hear unexpected noises, but it could be more effective than an alarm in a remote location.

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

I have never owner either a firearm or a shotgun, so I did not need a Purchase Certificate, I was supervised by the guy who had these things. 

I did not consult with AdE,  he was not there, in fact its bugger all to do with him. 💯

It's a PUBLIC discussion forum, it isn't up to you who joins in that discussion!
And you got lots of your "facts" wrong.

• Greenie 2