My phone won't call 999

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

You do know that wielding a knife in a public place is an offence? 

I have been told,and perhaps someone can confirm that a boater may legally carry a knife with a blade three inches or less for safety reasons.i.e.cutting a rope in an emergency or cutting bootlaces if you fall in the cut.

Could also be useful for castrating intruders thus allowing them to sing soprano.😜

11 hours ago, Jane Cartridge said:

Well apparently I’m the only person who finds this racially offensive, including your forum moderator. Clearly this forum is not the place for me. 

Bye bye. Perhaps you should consider whether the facts stated in the post are correct, or not. If correct it’s just a statement of fact. Jo wasn’t saying that all Poles are thieving scumbags, just that the thieving scumbags affecting her present life, were all Poles. But maybe you were there and know that not all the thieving scumbags were Poles? Do tell.

• Greenie 1

I enquired of police when Scottish law was changed, it is OK to carry a knife only if there is a reason, the law has no length defined. A 3 inch blade can kill and is easier to conceal than a dirk, say 6 inches. As a gardener, I often had blades, when working, but not in town. 

I carry a blade in my pocket on the boat, but I have it inside the boat when moored up. 

Edited by LadyG

22 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I have been told,and perhaps someone can confirm that a boater may legally carry a knife with a blade three inches or less for safety reasons.i.e.cutting a rope in an emergency or cutting bootlaces if you fall in the cut.

Could also be useful for castrating intruders thus allowing them to sing soprano.😜

Wowa!

you could cut the wrong bits off  (including your own) with your lack of  hearing/eyesight/sense of smell and teeth. 
Take care. 

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Fairly sure you can carry any size blade if you have a reasonable excuse, being on a boat and potentially needing to cut ropes sounds reasonable to me. I believe the less than 3 inch non-locking rule just means you need no excuse to carry it. If you ever say or imply you'd use it in defence though you'll get in trouble as easy conviction for plod to meet their targets, so beware. I'm also not a lawyer so beware of that too 😂

23 minutes ago, CanalRetentive said:

Fairly sure you can carry any size blade if you have a reasonable excuse, being on a boat and potentially needing to cut ropes sounds reasonable to me. I believe the less than 3 inch non-locking rule just means you need no excuse to carry it. If you ever say or imply you'd use it in defence though you'll get in trouble as easy conviction for plod to meet their targets, so beware. I'm also not a lawyer so beware of that too 😂

I don't know why you call them plods, I find it offensive.

They tend to be relatively young, fitter than the average man in the street and more intelligent, well trained and more disciplined than most people. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

They tend to be relatively young, fitter than the average man in the street and more intelligent, well trained and more disciplined than most people. 

It's just an old term from when they used to walk the beat, or 'plod'. They seem to spend more time looking for crimes on twitter these days so maybe I should stop using it? 😂

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Goes back at least as far as Enid Blyton.

51JXKC4FSAL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Yes, I believe that Enid Blyton's P.C. Plod character is the origin of the term.

When I was teaching I always carried a penknife in my jacket pocket, for sharpening pencils and crayons. Does no one use those any more?

Going further back, as a Boy Scout a sheath knife in a scabbard on my belt was part of my uniform.

It is a pity that the modern perception seems to be that such implements can be used only for sticking in other people.

40 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, I believe that Enid Blyton's P.C. Plod character is the origin of the term.

When I was teaching I always carried a penknife in my jacket pocket, for sharpening pencils and crayons. Does no one use those any more?

Going further back, as a Boy Scout a sheath knife in a scabbard on my belt was part of my uniform.

It is a pity that the modern perception seems to be that such implements can be used only for sticking in other people.

Those innocent days are long gone, I used to do a bit target practice with a silver Colt, under supervision, beautiful weapon You did not even need a shotgun licence, I remember getting one, circa 1969.

Country people carried an uncovered shotgun, open but not loaded, as a matter of course, a sawn off was ideal to keep under the tractor seat for rabbit and pheasant. 

Kids in school will resort to blades if they get in to a fight, and people die, that's why the legislation has tightened, kids of twelve act as drug runners etc etc, these things were unknown sixty years ago. 

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You did not even need a shotgun licence, I remember getting one, circa 1969.

Yes you did - even in the 50's and early 60s you were required to Purchase a Shotgun certficate from the Post office at the cost of 2/6-

The stricter laws came into force with the Act of 1968

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Country people carried an uncovered shotgun

You still can carry an uncovered shotgun in public, legally you can walk down the high street in any city and be compliant with the 1968 Act.

Conversely you cannot have an unloaded air-rifle (covered or uncovered) in a public place without good reason. Good reason is decided by the courts,

11 hours ago, CanalRetentive said:

Fairly sure you can carry any size blade if you have a reasonable excuse, being on a boat and potentially needing to cut ropes sounds reasonable to me. I believe the less than 3 inch non-locking rule just means you need no excuse to carry it. If you ever say or imply you'd use it in defence though you'll get in trouble as easy conviction for plod to meet their targets, so beware. I'm also not a lawyer so beware of that too

It's illegal to possess a banned knife or weapon. ... carry any knife in public without good reason, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long. sell a knife to anyone under the age of 18, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long. use any knife in a threatening way.

Knives where the blades 'lock-open' (to stop them collapsing/closing and cutting off your finger), are illegal in any size.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes you did - even in the 50's and early 60s you were required to Purchase a Shotgun certificate from the Post office at the cost of 2/6-

The stricter laws came into force with the Act of 1968

From memory, people needed either a shotgun licence or, for a pistol or rifle, a firearms certificate. The latter was harder to get. I remember my Dad (who was from a target-shooting family - his Dad won the King's Prize at Bisley) mentioning these.

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

31twSsUZHxL._AC_SY580_.jpg

It's illegal to possess a banned knife or weapon. ... carry any knife in public without good reason, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long. sell a knife to anyone under the age of 18, unless it has a manual folding blade less than 3 inches long. use any knife in a threatening way.

Knives where the blades 'lock-open' (to stop them collapsing/closing and cutting off your finger), are illegal in any size.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

34 minutes ago, Athy said:

From memory, people needed either a shotgun licence or, for a pistol or rifle, a firearms certificate. The latter was harder to get. I remember my Dad (who was from a target-shooting family - his Dad won the King's Prize at Bisley) mentioning these.

I have never owner either a firearm or a shotgun, so I did not need a Purchase Certificate, I was supervised by the guy who had these things. 

I did not consult with AdE,  he was not there, in fact its bugger all to do with him. 💯

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So my Swiss Army multi tool is illegal is it?

All the blades/saws/files on that lock open.

18 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

This bit I find daft, having a securely locked blade makes it much safer to use

Absolutely agree, and if you have good reason (ie an arbourist, camper etc) then you can justify it, but carrying one 'in town' is going to put you in trouble.

18 minutes ago, Loddon said:

So my Swiss Army multi tool is illegal is it?

All the blades/saws/files on that lock open.

Yes - (as are several of my knives)

If you have one kept on the boat, that is probably 'good reason', if you have it in your pcket when you go shopping, probably difficult to find any 'good reason'

Home Office Guidance :

It is an offence to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place, with the exception of a folding pocket knife where the cutting edge of the blade is 7.62 cm (3 inches) or less.

A lock knife is not a folding pocket knife and therefore it is an offence to carry around such a knife regardless of the length of the blade, if you do not have good reason. A lock knife has blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button. A lock knife has a mechanism which locks the blade in position when fully extended, the blade cannot be closed without that mechanism being released. A lock knife is not an offensive weapon per se, as these knives were made with a specific purpose in mind were not intended as a weapon. However, possession of a lock knife in a public place without good reason is an offence.

Possession of a multi-tool incorporating a prohibited blade or pointed article is capable of being an offence under this section even if there are other tools on the instrument, which may be of use to a person in a public place, for example a screwdriver or a can opener. It is for the person to prove on the balance of probabilities that they have a good reason for possession.

The ban is not total, it is for the person in possession of such an instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that they had good reason for its possession. It will have to be genuine, for example, someone back packing across the Lake District may reasonably be expected to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be far more difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but there will be occasions when someone is genuinely going to a martial arts sport or scout meeting which is easily checked.

The penalty for committing this offence is a maximum prison sentence of four years.

If you have it in your pocket, how will anyone know (unless you are being a bit naughty and are searched).

Edited by Alan de Enfield

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Absolutely agree, and if you have good reason (ie an arbourist, camper etc) then you can justify it, but carrying one 'in town' is going to put you in trouble.

Yes - (as are several of my knives)

If you have one kept on the boat, that is probably 'good reason', if you have it in your pcket when you go shopping, probably difficult to find any 'good reason'

Home Office Guidance :

It is an offence to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place, with the exception of a folding pocket knife where the cutting edge of the blade is 7.62 cm (3 inches) or less.

A lock knife is not a folding pocket knife and therefore it is an offence to carry around such a knife regardless of the length of the blade, if you do not have good reason. A lock knife has blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button. A lock knife has a mechanism which locks the blade in position when fully extended, the blade cannot be closed without that mechanism being released. A lock knife is not an offensive weapon per se, as these knives were made with a specific purpose in mind were not intended as a weapon. However, possession of a lock knife in a public place without good reason is an offence.

Possession of a multi-tool incorporating a prohibited blade or pointed article is capable of being an offence under this section even if there are other tools on the instrument, which may be of use to a person in a public place, for example a screwdriver or a can opener. It is for the person to prove on the balance of probabilities that they have a good reason for possession.

The ban is not total, it is for the person in possession of such an instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that they had good reason for its possession. It will have to be genuine, for example, someone back packing across the Lake District may reasonably be expected to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be far more difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but there will be occasions when someone is genuinely going to a martial arts sport or scout meeting which is easily checked.

The penalty for committing this offence is a maximum prison sentence of four years.

If you have it in your pocket, how will anyone know (unless you are being a bit naughty and are searched).

People get searched all the time in cities without being a bit naughty. Of course mostly, they are black.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Even when you're stabbing someone.

Well last time I stabbed someone I got a nasty cut when the blade folded back so what about my H&S

Seriously I use my knife as part of my professional life and a none locking blade is more likely to cause me an injury 

Just now, tree monkey said:

Well last time I stabbed someone I got a nasty cut when the blade folded back so what about my H&S

Seriously I use my knife as part of my professional life and a none locking blade is more likely to cause me an injury 

Yes but when you go wandering down the high street with a running chainsaw and a lock knife looking for a tree to kill, I think the fuzz would be more interested in the chainsaw than the knife.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, LadyG said:

Cutting bootlace, I'd have getting to lock ladder as priority

I was thinking of a tragedy on the R Calder were two magnet fishermen drowned.

It was a father and son,and one jumped in to free a stuck magnet,and when he didn't re-appear the other jumped in to try to save him.

The bodies were found to be standing upright in the mud.