My phone won't call 999

LadyG

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, Iain_S said:

THIS IS WORTH DOING. 

Despite what it says on the pdf, it's not just aimed at the hard of hearing or those who have difficulty with speech. It also will work when the mobile signal is so poor as to be practically non existent.

BUMP!

Well done Iain, excellent post.

Edited by Machpoint005

4 hours ago, junior said:

You will absolutely one hundred percent not end up in court for phoning 999 by mistake, or by phoning them genuinely but them not being able to hear them.

The polis who rang me back was not listening to my excuses, as far as she was concerned it was nuisance calling, I did not get chance to explain I thought someone was on the boat, not sure if the thumping on roof was cos the bike was immobile, or just a nutter, to early for drunk, and to far from pub, IMHO, most likely teenagers. 

I can't imagine the life expectancy of those trying to break into occupied boats in the middle of nowhere, where the occupants could have any manner of weapons and are well placed to dispose of a body, is very long at all. Whilst it would be wise to keep stuff locked up I think paranoia does go into overdrive in these situations. I just ignore it until it escalates.. which it never does.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Iain_S said:

THIS IS WORTH DOING. 

Despite what it says on the pdf, it's not just aimed at the hard of hearing or those who have difficulty with speech. It also will work when the mobile signal is so poor as to be practically non existent.

Thank you for posting this. Hate to admit it but my hearing on the phone is slowly getting worse at a time when society thinks you should have a mobile phone glued to your ear. (yes, I have hearing aids and if I remember to put them in they work fine but not with a phone). I'll look into it tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, junior said:

You will absolutely one hundred percent not end up in court for phoning 999 by mistake, or by phoning them genuinely but them not being able to hear them.

The only time I've ever had cause to call 999 in a non emergency situation was when I was involved in an RTA and the other party did a runner. Quickly explained the circumstances and the operator could not have been more helpful. 

21 minutes ago, Slim said:

Thank you for posting this. Hate to admit it but my hearing on the phone is slowly getting worse at a time when society thinks you should have a mobile phone glued to your ear. (yes, I have hearing aids and if I remember to put them in they work fine but not with a phone). I'll look into it tomorrow. 

You cant wear a hearing aid and a Covid mask, the two are sworn enemies.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

You cant wear a hearing aid and a Covid mask, the two are sworn enemies.

Try wearing hearing aids, a Covid mask and glasses. Impossible unless your  name is Spock.

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sounds like a crime in progress to me.

Well, neither they nor the patrol car that happened to pass by after the call but not alerted by it thought so.

On 17/11/2021 at 22:48, LadyG said:

Yes, one direction is a road that leads to a pub, but its over a mile away, there is a lockeper cottage at the next set of locks, I ll be moving there tomorrow, I believe Russel the boat mover comes tomorrow for a chat, he can start with bow hauling, and put me thru the locks, it's not far. 🐶

I've been in a very bad area, Worksop, full of Polish anglers who come along with a Woolworths rod and suss out boat goodies, they come back at  4.00 am when they finish at the sandwich factory, strip the boat, not a lump of coal left. 

I asked the next one for his rod licence, flashing my driving licence and my phone, that clears them. Scum. 

Well apparently I’m the only person who finds this racially offensive, including your forum moderator. Clearly this forum is not the place for me. 

• Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Jane Cartridge said:

Well apparently I’m the only person who finds this racially offensive, including your forum moderator. Clearly this forum is not the place for me. 

On the contrary: our forum is a place where differing views are expressed and discussed: it would be boring if we all agreed on everything.

There's more than one moderator, by the way.

I can assure you that I am not racist, the so called anglers were all Polish and all worked at the sandwich factory, or I could say, all the sandwich workers were Polish, except the factory manager. They finish work at 04.00, which is when they came to my boat, in pairs, took what was convenient and came back again to get things that were tied on but not sufficiently secured for the determined thief, they must have studied the method of securing my bike very carefully during the hours of daylight. When approached cheerfully they were unable to speak English, but understood enough to know that they had never bought a rod licence.  They only fished right next to boats, I mean withing a few feet, they pushed off when I came out with my Sabatier, a good kitchen knife has many uses. 

The police don't bother them, perhaps they don't want to be considered racist. 

There must be a network for the scum who steal stuff every night, a bit like County Lines, only not so profitable. Cash must be involved, else what do they do with bikes, buckets (coal) mops, a brush, a few rusty screwdrivers, a hammer, an old mooring pin, anything. 

Edited by LadyG

On 18/11/2021 at 22:42, Slim said:

My hearing too is getting worse,sounds as though everyone is mumbling and I can't understand what is said.

Got fitted up with a NHS hearing aid and the mumbling is louder,but still can't understand what is said.

Decided that as most people talk a right load of rubbish,I will manage without a hearing aid,and read CWF.

(Although sometimes a right load of rubbish is posted here!)

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

My hearing too is getting worse,sounds as though everyone is mumbling and I can't understand what is said.

Got fitted up with a NHS hearing aid and the mumbling is louder,but still can't understand what is said.

Decided that as most people talk a right load of rubbish,I will manage without a hearing aid,and read CWF.

(Although sometimes a right load of rubbish is posted here!)

I have been through similar experience. At my last test (at a different audiology department) I again mentioned this factor - "I can hear quite well that someone is speaking but I cannot decode the sound into words all the time" = and I was offered an upgrade to the aids with more data points. This means that it can be set more precisely to emphasise the higher frequencies which matter most in decoding speech. The difference is notable (even if I can sometimes not make out what is said but much less so - I can still claim not to hear if I choose!)

• Greenie 1

I have worn hearing aids for many years, moving to different makes and strengths as my hearing deteriorated and i have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to hear properly again which is very isolating. In a one to one situation, it is not too bad as long as there is no other sound competing but it can take a wee while for my ears to "tune" to an accent I am not familiar  with .  

I reckon the wooden leg is the next stage if my ageing process, already having hearing aids, specs and false teeth 🙂 

haggis

• Love 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

I can assure you that I am not racist, the so called anglers were all Polish and all worked at the sandwich factory, or I could say, all the sandwich workers were Polish, except the factory manager. They finish work at 04.00, which is when they came to my boat, in pairs, took what was convenient and came back again to get things that were tied on but not sufficiently secured for the determined thief, they must have studied the method of securing my bike very carefully during the hours of daylight. When approached cheerfully they were unable to speak English, but understood enough to know that they had never bought a rod licence.  They only fished right next to boats, I mean withing a few feet, they pushed off when I came out with my Sabatier, a good kitchen knife has many uses. 

The police don't bother them, perhaps they don't want to be considered racist. 

There must be a network for the scum who steal stuff every night, a bit like County Lines, only not so profitable. Cash must be involved, else what do they do with bikes, buckets (coal) mops, a brush, a few rusty screwdrivers, a hammer, an old mooring pin, anything. 

You do know that wielding a knife in a public place is an offence? 

39 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You do know that wielding a knife in a public place is an offence? 

Yes, as is loitering with intent, and stealing my goods, trespassing on my property at any time, never mind 04.00.

I called the police, they logged the crime, they did not turn up. 

My boat is not a public place of course, its my home, a private place. 

I m not sure about "weilding a knife" it's an offence just to carry a knife in public without good reason. 

Edited by LadyG