Mersey and Wye L&L shortboats.

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, andyberg said:

I cruised past them at their mooring on Sunday, no sign of any movement or change but saw a photo of Wye being craned yesterday at Burscough Silcox’s yard, just through the main A59 road bridge.

I've seen Colin's photo as well, that's why I wondered if the grapevine had heard anything.

If you're passing Ring O' Bells in the near future could you check if there are any boats still there please.

• 3 weeks later...

apologies for delay in getting back to you, but their perminent mooring seems to have gone, 5 boats normally there, can only presume a new owner of the house?
Im moored in Burscough now so if I hear anything Ill post up here.

6650DBF1-CFE9-43DE-95E1-279FB30C5234.jpeg

Edited by andyberg
  • Greenie 1

Gosh was always interesting to see what boats where there. Although did find the odd occasion when some of boats were somewhat selfishly moored. 

Wasn't there another historic boat moored there equine or something ? The rusty shell was always intriguing too.

On 17/11/2021 at 15:30, TheBiscuits said:

I've seen Colin's photo as well, that's why I wondered if the grapevine had heard anything.

If you're passing Ring O' Bells in the near future could you check if there are any boats still there please.

Heard it on good authority this evening that both Wye and Mersey were removed by CRT for non payment of licences, they were seen being towed to Silcox yard by contractor tugs, the narrowboats have moved, where to nobody knows!

Edited by andyberg

1 hour ago, andyberg said:

Talking to a well established local canal trader today, was informed that all 5 boats were seized and loaded on wagons with serious police and bailiffs in a attendance. As well as Wyre & Mersey, Equus, Wendy Woo and A.N other were all taken! 

Interesting situation. 

They might well be at Greenwalls farm Dodleston if CRT did take them away by road.

Nice boats I hope they get looked after by whoever has transported them. 

10 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Tony Dunkley is offering advice on getting them back, after their "illegal seizure". His details are on TB. 

Advice from the man that lost his boat the same way and who is still no closer to getting compensation or getting it back 😱

Let me think about that 😯

If it's a CRT section 8 then it goes through a standard protocol.

I have not been subjected to one but did get close once. There will be information sent to identifiable vessel owners, including email, post and attaching notices to boats if possible. The procedures will be followed and eventually the craft will be removed from the water and taken to a secure holding location. In this case I suspect Greenwalls but there may be somewhere else. 

Anyway I do think that Tony, despite his presentation on the Thunderboat forum, might actually have a point about this all being "slightly dodgy" but without owners of seized vessels joining forces and getting their shit together it seems unlikely much will happen. 

I remember the Arthur* being sold a few years ago for something over £50k so there must be a fair bit of value. Not a boat one would give up easily. 

Could be an estate thing I suppose. 

Conjecture. 

*Arthur renamed Mersey after being transferred back up north from the Thames. 

Edited by magnetman

We put the name back to Mersey when we acquired her June 1988, though in this photo Sept 1989 she still has "Arthur" on the fore end bulwarks from when in John Liley's previous ownership. We sold her 1993 (as Mersey).

Tam

15g_9_'89.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di

It was called Arthur when I was beside it in Molesey lock a few years ago and the reverse gear failed. Boat hit the top gates quite hard. I did notice the steerer rev up to stop it and I shouted to him it was still in ahead gear but he did not hear me. Also he did not seem to work out that it was not in reverse. 

I was happy to be beside it rather than in front of it as it was quite a heavy craft. 

At the time it was on the way to Reading to be craned out and roaded up north. 

This would have been about 8 years ago. Or more maybe. I remember it being advertised for around 75k about ten years ago. Took a while to sell. 

Tempus Fugit. 

I also remember Ribble being for sale for £12,500 on the Slough arm around 1993 and slipping a black and red  30ft Hancock and Lane narrow boat at the Murrell's Adelaide dry dock the same year and there were a couple of landing craft there. 

@Tam & Di

I'm also the person who instructed a survey on a short Walton's wooden narrow boat and failed to return to pay the slip and survey bill. Would have been 1993 or 4.  Polley was the name of the surveyor. 

You may recall this ?

Jack the electrician with the trad springer was pretty pissed off and admonished me at a later date. He had a cool voda flipfone back in the day. 

Those were the days ! 

Edited by magnetman

9 hours ago, magnetman said:

I'm also the person who instructed a survey on a short Walton's wooden narrow boat and failed to return to pay the slip and survey bill. Would have been 1993 or 4.  Polley was the name of the surveyor.

A strange boast!!!!  However debts are written off after 6 years by the Limitations Act 😡

I just had a look at the sales details for Mersey in 1993. The notes say that Mersey (ex Arthur) was for sale at £5000, and that the price took account of the fact that the bottom required "a certain amount" of replating. Presumably someone did something about that for it to still be afloat now.

Tam