Railway/Canal Proximity

mark99

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Tacet said:

It depends on your criteria and how you are measuring.   Vazon Sliding Railway Bridge - Stainforth and Keadby Canal crosses the canal low and on the skew – so that is pretty close.

Bridge

This was the canal that came to my mind for proximity over a longer distance: it is cheek by jowel with the railway for around five miles.  

5 hours ago, Athy said:

ooh, I want that seriously pretty signal box in my garden. Tool shed below, summer house above.

Which station is it?

Seriously I love signal boxes and wanted to build one as you suggest. Difficult ref planning permission due to height in a suburban garden at the time!

Edited by mark99

10 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Seriously I love signal boxes and wanted to build one as you suggest. Difficult ref planning permission due to height in a suburban garden at the time!

You can buy new signal box style sheds. Only single storey though I think.

hpsmall1.jpg.6aec56f356379159b4a7691fa9cb0acd.jpg

http://www.signalboxes.co.uk/ ( and in Athy's neck of the woods)

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

12 hours ago, Pluto said:

The Thames and Medway Canal is probably the best example, with the railway track cantilevered out from the towing path when the 'new' railway used the old canal tunnel.

From Hadfield’s ‘The Canals Of South And South East England’

33E6091D-12F2-49B9-AA5A-4EB05BABE17B.jpeg

12 hours ago, Pluto said:

Edited by Tim Lewis

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

A crossing box rather than a proper signal box then.

From here: Bedlam Lane Crossing: View of the former L&NWR Signal cabin located on Bedlam Lane crossing during the Winter of 1971 (warwickshirerailways.com)

View of the former L&NWR Signal cabin located on Bedlam Lane crossing during the Winter of 1971

View of the former L&NWR Signal cabin located on Bedlam Lane crossing during the Winter of 1971. It was a block post and contained block instruments working the two block sections 'Three Spires - Bedlam and Bedlam - Foleshill Gas Works sidings'. It was staffed by a Signalman and whilst the actual 'signalling' duties (the working of the block instruments and operating the signals) were not very onerous, the hand operation of the gates for every train made it quite a demanding job. This situation remained unchanged until it was abolished when the road was closed. Bedlam Lane had been a block post before 1903 when Foleshill Gas Works Sdgs was opened. Before 1903 the block sections were 'Foleshill Station - Bedlam Gates - Hawkesbury Lane'.

Reg Instone