Canal and river trust should be ashamed

luggsy

Featured Posts

Last week was moored in Boston c&rt where power washing pontoons did not really need doing they where useing the rotary one not that good really, got to the packet lnn on the river witham and this is what they expected you to moor up on , utterly disgraceful last night it was like walking on ice 

IMG_1018.JPG

Various moorings / pontoons on the Witham are 'managed' by local pubs or other businesses. In return for putting the pontoon there the pub owner agrees to cut the grass and maintain the pontoon and surrounds and they they get the benefit of the 'passing trade' beer and meals.

The pontoon at Woodhall Spa (Kirkstead Bridge) is maintained by the Railway Pub owner and his mooring conditions are you can stay as long as you like as long as you come into the pub.

Further towards Lincoln the pontoon at the White Horse Inn (Dunston) is maintained by the Pub Landlord on similar terms.

My understanding is that all / most of the pontoons on the Witham are held on sililar terms as it saves C&RT maintenance on such 'out of the way' places

1 minute ago, Bee said:

Yeah. It happens. Geese usually. Horrible creatures but you can't do much about it apart from getting rid of them and that's not going to happen and nobody is going to come and clean the pontoon every day for nothing on the off chance that a boat will come along. The answer is to use your gang plank if you have one and just lay it on the pontoon to walk on. Some problems you just have to solve yourself no matter how much you pay for a licence

A bit of cold ash sprinkled over the pontoon helps

The ones at Star City in the middle of Birmingham were no better last time I was there.

39 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Too lazy to get a brush and do it yourself then?

When you arrive at a mooring, you tend to try to alight safely and try to tie your boat before doing local housework.

• Unimpressed 1

The Pontoon at my marina is usually covered in duck/swan/goose crap.  It's just not funny any more doing the hopscotch down the Pontoon... if I complain I just get shrugs and 'we haven't got time' as they can't be bothered to look up from farcebook... I often clean it my self but takes well over an hour to do properly...

Edited by Quattrodave

I have paid for short term moorings in a marina where to pontoon is much worse than that.  That at least looks solid with no missing planks! 

As to the duck mess that’s impossible to avoid, they always use the pontoons with no boat there, we get a brush out when we get to our home marina mooring and clean it up a bit.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, luggsy said:

Last week was moored in Boston c&rt where power washing pontoons did not really need doing they where useing the rotary one not that good really, got to the packet lnn on the river witham and this is what they expected you to moor up on , utterly disgraceful last night it was like walking on ice 

IMG_1018.JPG

Excellent, great sense of humour you have there!

Very amusing, you had them all going there, judging by some of the replies taking you seriously...

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

The ones at Star City in the middle of Birmingham were no better last time I was there.

When you arrive at a mooring, you tend to try to alight safely and try to tie your boat before doing local housework.

They were very clean in September when we were there. Missing one cleat but overall a decent place to moor. 

21 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I do sympathise, it's awful. Last year, I got grease on my hands from a lock mechanism. It's a disgrace.

However  to make sure this kind of thing never happened again, I got a cloth and wiped every bit of grease off every lock I came through for the rest of the trip. I don't expect thanks, just doing my bit.

Thanks....

• Haha 1

I have had a good laugh, puts my predicament, viz, broken boat, marooned a mile from the pub, into perspective, yesterday discovered the pub is not open!!!!!!! 

Who is responsible for this outrage? 

Boris is our leader, when was he last in the Fox and Hounds? 

Edited by LadyG

On 16/11/2021 at 20:51, Bee said:

Yeah. It happens. Geese usually. Horrible creatures but you can't do much about it apart from getting rid of them and that's not going to happen and nobody is going to come and clean the pontoon every day for nothing on the off chance that a boat will come along. The answer is to use your gang plank if you have one and just lay it on the pontoon to walk on. Some problems you just have to solve yourself no matter how much you pay for a licence

Well they say there is going to be a shortage of turkeys this year so there may be a solution.....

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

On 17/11/2021 at 01:06, Arthur Marshall said:

I do sympathise, it's awful. Last year, I got grease on my hands from a lock mechanism. It's a disgrace.

However  to make sure this kind of thing never happened again, I got a cloth and wiped every bit of grease off every lock I came through for the rest of the trip. I don't expect thanks, just doing my bit.

Last year followed a boat through the locks. C&RT are a bloody disgrace not one bit of grease on the lock mechanisms. 🤣

• Haha 4