Finding an overnight mooring on the western K&A

Grassman

Featured Posts

Next May I’m planning on going down the Severn Estuary and then heading east  on the K& A through to Reading. Given the fact there are so many continuous moorers at the western end of the K&A I’m concerned about finding an overnight mooring for the first night after I’ve left Bristol FH.

I was wondering how far to the east it is before mooring spots are likely to become more available. Obviously the Bath area will be full and probably Bathampton too.

So my question is how far would I need to go to virtually guarantee finding somewhere to stop overnight? Obviously I may cop lucky and come across somewhere earlier, but I don’t mind doing a long day if need be, especially as it will be daylight until late evening at that time of year. Also, I’m not bothered about finding Armco to moor up on, and I only draw 2 ft so depth at edges isn’t as critical as it could be with some boats.

Or if I want to break it up into shorter days, how likely would I find somewhere to overnight between Hanham Lock and the outskirts of Bath in order to continue heading east the following day?

I’d be grateful for any advice please.

There are a couple of moorings on the river before you reach the first Bath lock, on your right in front of some newish flats, 24 hour, so you could be lucky.

You used to be able to moor close to Sainsburys on the left hand side but last time I passed in 2017 they were building there, so no idea now.

There are also moorings between a couple of the Bath locks and above the last one going East and more still on your way out of Bath

I never had a problem finding a mooring even during August, enjoy your trip

If you are happy to use pins, and do not need to be near facilities, there should be plenty of spaces between Bathampton and Dundas. I used to prefer the area between Claverton winding hole and the crossover bridge just before the Aqueduct, It is also quite deep there.

We found 70ft spaces (48 hr) in the middle of Bathampton twice in the height of summer a couple of years ago. There are long lengths west of Bathampton  signed as 48 hours mooring (to stop the CCers staying 14 days), but rather overgrown and unused, if you are willing to use a plank to get ashore.

The mooring mentioned by kenk is a full day from Bristol Harbour on a good day. Just be aware that it is a private pay to Moor spot. Usually OK for a mooring with sainsbury close by.

Further up river on the left are 48hr moorings but these are often full with continuous moorers and hire boats especially later in the day.

If locks are open, you will need approx 1.5 hrs from the river to the first 48 hrs moorings on the canal. 

Mooring anyware along the river passage over the past few years at the few pontoons available before Bath is highly unlikely due to the continuos moorers. 

Most of the river is not suitable for bankside mooring.

Also be aware that the river will flood and locks close with little or no warning, sometimes overnight due to heavy rains further east. 

All that said  I always enjoy this trip and Bristol 

I can concur with your concerns regarding finding a mooring on that stretch, having done the trip myself last May/June.

The river is difficult to find decent places to stop, having more "NO MOORING" signs than the Thames, as well as the usual continuous moorers occupying every available slot.

At Hanham lock the 48 hr moorings were full but I was lucky to find a spot on the very nice pontoon at Bitton just before bridge 211.

In Bath after Bridge 202 there were plenty of mootings on the river.

Continuing east I had no further issues finding spots to moor and stopped just after Dundas services on rings.

From then onwards Avoncliffe to the other side of BoA was very difficult to find anywhere half decent.

Moulton Drive was ok but the bank is very soft and passing boats continually pulled the pins out.

Next stop at Seend was good and I got lucky grabbing a spot just as a hire boat left.

Further east the 48 hr moorings at Bishop Cannings were all occupied, as was Pewsey and Gt Bedwyn.

I stopped one night on a lock landing, arriving late and leaving early so as not to cause inconvenience.

From there onwards I had no real issues finding decent mooring spots, but noted that anywhere with any decent access to a road was always occupied.

Thanks everyone for your great advice. Last time I was on this stretch was 2002 and it was fairly bad then but nothing compared to these days of course. Reading the differing experiences here it seems it's just down to luck at the time. I think I'll set off from Bristol as early as the tidal conditions permit, and be prepared for a long day cruising if need be. 

As I said, I'm happy to overnight anywhere if its safe and not inconveniencing other boating traffic. My Nb is 62ft which may be a bit limiting but I've done some 'wild mooring' in the past on the Thames and can be quite innovative where finding places to tie up is concerned ! So long as I find somewhere to get my head down for the night I should be fine.

3 minutes ago, Grassman said:

My Nb is 62ft which may be a bit limiting but I've done some 'wild mooring' in the past on the Thames and can be quite innovative where finding places to tie up is concerned ! So long as I find somewhere to get my head down for the night I should be fine.

I think you'll be fine then. 

I was a bit concerned because by 'finding a mooring', some on here seem to mean a nice straight and flat pontoon with mooring rings, no goose shit, and within easy walking distance of a good selection of restaurants and shops. 

23 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think you'll be fine then. 

I was a bit concerned because by 'finding a mooring', some on here seem to mean a nice straight and flat pontoon with mooring rings, no goose shit, and within easy walking distance of a good selection of restaurants and shops. 

Those are the places I usually avoid Mike. ::)

6 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Those are the places I usually avoid Mike. ::)

Yes me too, and if it needs a gangplank to get off the boat, all the better! 

Not that I feel any need to get off the boat if mooring up for the night. I thought I was alone in this.... 

Just now, Stroudwater1 said:

You do need to get off to alter your TV aerial and fettle your generator adding suitable fuel to ensure a decent vapour trial with additional noise surely? 

Nope, not me. :) 

I have no telly and I have an alternator on the engine which will have been charging the batts all day. And I have such huge batts in such good condition that they can last all night without running a genny... :D 

1 minute ago, Stroudwater1 said:

You do need to get off to alter your TV aerial and fettle your generator adding suitable fuel to ensure a decent vapour trial with additional noise surely? 

People who cruise sufficiently do not need a generator, and if you get off your boat you cannot reach your TV aerial, you need to stay on board .................... some people have no idea.

58 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes me too, and if it needs a gangplank to get off the boat, all the better! 

Not that I feel any need to get off the boat if mooring up for the night. I thought I was alone in this.... 

A  minimum of 6ft gang plank is essential for accessing the bank in many places on the K&A, along with extra long Mooring pins because of the soft bank.

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

A  minimum of 6ft gang plank is essential for accessing the bank in many places on the K&A, along with extra long Mooring pins because of the soft bank.

Yep. All helps keep the "easy life" boaters away. Along with heavy lock gates, slow-to-fill locks and the occasional river sections where the water actually moves.

59 minutes ago, MtB said:

Nope, not me. :) 

I have no telly and I have an alternator on the engine which will have been charging the batts all day. And I have such huge batts in such good condition that they can last all night without running a genny... :D 

I sometimes need to get off to recharge my ironic posting battery and to find my winking smily icon but otherwise I agree with you-  its a delight just staying on the water with our simple 12v system, paraffin lamp if needed though usually just to help the ambience. 

19 hours ago, Grassman said:

Next May I’m planning on going down the Severn Estuary and then heading east  on the K& A through to Reading. Given the fact there are so many continuous moorers at the western end of the K&A I’m concerned about finding an overnight mooring for the first night after I’ve left Bristol FH.

I was wondering how far to the east it is before mooring spots are likely to become more available. Obviously the Bath area will be full and probably Bathampton too.

So my question is how far would I need to go to virtually guarantee finding somewhere to stop overnight? Obviously I may cop lucky and come across somewhere earlier, but I don’t mind doing a long day if need be, especially as it will be daylight until late evening at that time of year. Also, I’m not bothered about finding Armco to moor up on, and I only draw 2 ft so depth at edges isn’t as critical as it could be with some boats.

Or if I want to break it up into shorter days, how likely would I find somewhere to overnight between Hanham Lock and the outskirts of Bath in order to continue heading east the following day?

I’d be grateful for any advice please.

No it won't

You will certainly get a mooring somewhere on the Avon in Bath, once on the canal it's a little more crowded but still not impossible 

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Agree with this, an absolute necessity. In fact the longer the better.

I travelled the K&A a few months back with an 8ft 2in aluminium ladder converted to a boarding plank. It enabled me to moor anywhere. Sometimes I couldn't get within 6ft of the bank.....no problem, just stop the boat and feed out the lightweight ladder and off you walk with the centre line.  

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

Agree with this, an absolute necessity. In fact the longer the better.

I travelled the K&A a few months back with an 8ft 2in aluminium ladder converted to a boarding plank. It enabled me to moor anywhere. Sometimes I couldn't get within 6ft of the bank.....no problem, just stop the boat and feed out the lightweight ladder and off you walk with the centre line.  

And then walk straight back onto the boat to get the mooring stakes and hammer....

DAMHIK.