Mechanical timer/thermostat with 13a socket.

Slim

Featured Posts

Can anyone suggest where I might get a couple of mechanical timer/thermostats with a 13a socket. Failing that digital ones'' If digital they must hold their settings in the event of a power cut. All the digital timers I have come across lose their settings in the event of power failure. I want them to control a couple of low wattage tubular heaters. I recognise that mechanical timers will go out of sync in the event of a cut but they will start again when power is restored.

Thanks.

Should add that I've already got an oil filled rad with a mechanical timer.  

28 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A lot of tubular heaters seem to come with built in thermostats. Worth @Slim checking his. If they have built in thermostats, then the sort of timers already linked to will do the job.

Already got the heaters and they don't.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I read the title as "timer or thermostat", not "timer with thermostat".

I'm looking for a combined gizmo.

54 minutes ago, Slim said:

Already got the heaters and they don't.

I'm looking for a combined gizmo.

Fair enough, my mistake.

I just use timers on mine, thermostats have a history of not working properly, so the tube-heaters may as well be on for some times when its not really cold,rather than not coming on at all.

I have 2 heaters (one alongside each engine) and the two heaters conme on about 12 hours per day (6 hours each) staggered hours, It costs me ~£1 per day which is not a lot compared to replacing a calorifier, let alone any other damage.

Heaters come on from Dec to March so about 120 days (£120) not exactly expensive.

17 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

No thermostat.

Although to be honest I do not understand why you would want a thermostat incorporated into a timer - it could well be that the temperature drops and the thermostat needs to come on, the timer part will be 'off' and vice versa.

Surely one or the other is what is needed Timer, or Thermostat,

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

That's the one I've got. Had it a few years so guessing I got it from large DIY shop with b and q in it's name. Switches dependent device on or off manually or set it to auto to power up at temperatures between zero and 40+ degrees (adjustable). Takes AAA battery so ignores power cuts. Weirdly, creates a small amount of its own heat so not necessarily deadly accurate for switch on temp. Comments from Tony apply to mine as well.

On 15/11/2021 at 16:47, Slim said:

Can anyone suggest where I might get a couple of mechanical timer/thermostats with a 13a socket. Failing that digital ones'' If digital they must hold their settings in the event of a power cut. All the digital timers I have come across lose their settings in the event of power failure. I want them to control a couple of low wattage tubular heaters. I recognise that mechanical timers will go out of sync in the event of a cut but they will start again when power is restored.

Thanks.

Should add that I've already got an oil filled rad with a mechanical timer.  

This will be fine for the timer and has 1000 hour battery back up

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233421261399?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. After much searching I've found what I think is a digital combined timer/thermostat/13a socket on e bay. I'm slightly suspicious as to quality as it's only £25 for two including delivery from China. Time will tell. 

I would post details but don't know how. 

20 minutes ago, Slim said:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. After much searching I've found what I think is a digital combined timer/thermostat/13a socket on e bay. I'm slightly suspicious as to quality as it's only £25 for two including delivery from China. Time will tell. 

At that price, it is possible that time will not tell.

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still trying to understand why you bought heaters with no built in thermostats and then had to buy bits of extra kit to do this workaround?

Most oil filled rads & tubular heaters have them built in and it actually seems harder to find them without. My oil filled rad has a mechanical control interface so it will come back on after a power cut.

Edited by blackrose

I would worry about cheap mains tat from China. Will it be able to handle large currents without overheating on an uninhabited boat? Does it have a proper CE mark, not a faux CE China Export mark? A university PAT testing technician had a horror show of some of the UK socket converters that Chinese students brought with them to use their stuff here that I saw. By buying direct, you bypass the minimal checks on imported stuff that can theoretically take place. I've directly imported no name stuff from China before, with variable results from excellent to straight in the bin. Wall wart chargers can be a particular problem and have gone in the bin for looking too fragile, with thin cables, compared with compliant imports.

Jen