Replacement belt

Lizette

Featured Posts

Hi All

I have a Barrus shire 35 engine and I noticed one of the belts is very worn and needs replacing . My engine is not starting too and I think this may be the reason.

I have looked through the manual for a diagram that clearly shows where to locate the nuts I need to loosen to be able to remove the belt.

I am unable to actually see it properly and do not want to loosen a nut that should not be .

I thought this would be a quick job but I guess the first time is always difficult.

Anyone have any practical advice? If all else fails ,I shall have to pay someone to do it whilst I watch but if I can avoid it ,all the better.

I really don't know what I would do without this forum!

Any help appreciated. I did try to get some pictures but not enough space.. It is the upper belt that needs replacing.

Lizette

If you are happy to give a rough location and accept probably male help a forum member may be close enough to help you.  Otherwise as long as you stick to nuts and bolts that run parallel to the engine I don't think you can do much harm as long as you tighten them again.  The only one that may not be parallel to the engine is if there is an extra adjusting screw that helps you tension the belt.

I think the worse you might do is loosen a bolt holding the front cover on the engine and that is very unlikely to cause problems, even if you left it out.

Unfortunately a lot of work on boats involves working by feel.

Edited by Tony Brooks

On 15/11/2021 at 15:05, Tracy D'arth said:

Is the engine not starting because you have a flat engine battery? Does it spin over as normal but not fire up?

Hi All Sorry for the delay ,my mobile needed charging(typical!).

Jen- cannot find a decent photo,that is part of my problem! As I am feeling around in very little space.

I am not too worried about engine starting as I think it is the belts. 

I have tried briefly again today but no luck finding the nuts to take off.

Tony- If anyone is near or in Banbury and can take me through it ,that would be great.

I shall try again tomorrow afternoon ,after work.

Turned all of my battery draining items off until I can get this resolved.

The joy!

9 minutes ago, Lizette said:

Hi All Sorry for the delay ,my mobile needed charging(typical!).

Jen- cannot find a decent photo,that is part of my problem! As I am feeling around in very little space.

I am not too worried about engine starting as I think it is the belts. 

I have tried briefly again today but no luck finding the nuts to take off.

Tony- If anyone is near or in Banbury and can take me through it ,that would be great.

I shall try again tomorrow afternoon ,after work.

Turned all of my battery draining items off until I can get this resolved.

The joy!

Where is @Maffi now? he is a possible helper.

I regret that I am tied up all weekend and Banbury is a bit far, but if you are really stuck, there is parking close by, and next week sometime is any good best PM me and I will see what I can do.

34 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I regret that I am tied up all weekend and Banbury is a bit far, but if you are really stuck, there is parking close by, and next week sometime is any good best PM me and I will see what I can do.

Ah, Tony, that is so kind. I shall ask around . I also noticed I have homestart on my insurance and wonder if I can make use of this.

I really just need a diagram.

Thank you so much

I have a Barrus 35 in the garage. I’ll get some photos later for you. It only has what you describe as the “upper belt” which goes around 3 pulleys (crank, water pump and alternator.). You will need to remove the “lower belt” as its in the way.

Tooleys are very very helpful. They can buy in a belt for you also. (At your cost of course.) we have left Banbury now and moored not far away, not available until, possibly, Friday. Probably Thursday. Willing to pop down and assist. PM name of the boat. I may well have seen you there.

I'll have to post the photos individually.

Slacken where indicated and swing the alternator towards the engine to remove the belt.

You will need to remove the other belt for access; similar arrangement, except that you might need two spanner's for the pivot bolt.

D4E7E332-0702-47D5-B165-8C81B9BE05A9.jpeg

8BDE314A-13E9-4F9F-81D2-872311A268D2.jpeg

46E9008A-1DD7-4111-9D21-91E1C9EB9686.jpeg

3B23FB5F-DEF5-4FE9-B28E-E9196C4EC026.jpeg

Edited by Eeyore

13 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am just North of Rolt Bridge (offside) if I can help.

Edited by Maffi
  • Greenie 2

20 hours ago, Eeyore said:

I'll have to post the photos individually.

Slacken where indicated and swing the alternator towards the engine to remove the belt.

You will need to remove the other belt for access; similar arrangement, except that you might need two spanner's for the pivot bolt.

D4E7E332-0702-47D5-B165-8C81B9BE05A9.jpeg

8BDE314A-13E9-4F9F-81D2-872311A268D2.jpeg

46E9008A-1DD7-4111-9D21-91E1C9EB9686.jpeg

3B23FB5F-DEF5-4FE9-B28E-E9196C4EC026.jpeg

Excellent! Thanks so much. I shall give it a go

• Greenie 1

On 17/11/2021 at 21:55, Nightwatch said:

Well done that man.

Hi. Just an update. Maffi- I know you were in Oxford but thanks anyway.

I called Canal River Rescue and although the guy did not replace the belt . He tightened the belt and took me through what I need to do and what size belt I need and I feel happy about doing it now

He also started my engine which means I can have heating and hot water.

Another thing I have learnt.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and help. One day I shall post something, other than requests for help- lol!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 15/11/2021 at 14:53, Tony Brooks said:

If you are happy to give a rough location and accept probably male help a forum member may be close enough to help you.  Otherwise as long as you stick to nuts and bolts that run parallel to the engine I don't think you can do much harm as long as you tighten them again.  The only one that may not be parallel to the engine is if there is an extra adjusting screw that helps you tension the belt.

I think the worse you might do is loosen a bolt holding the front cover on the engine and that is very unlikely to cause problems, even if you left it out.

Unfortunately a lot of work on boats involves working by feel.

Just as an aside, and speaking as the man who made that mistake, it is possible to do considerable harm by over-tightening the belt in an effort to stop it slipping. It cost me a new water pump when I overloaded the bearing on it.

Funny you should say that..my new Ford had the belt(s) insanely tight when delivered,so I immediately set them to proper tension......Free first service,came back stupidly tight again,after I had written down the belts wernt to be touched.

On 22/11/2021 at 18:16, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Just as an aside, and speaking as the man who made that mistake, it is possible to do considerable harm by over-tightening the belt in an effort to stop it slipping. It cost me a new water pump when I overloaded the bearing on it.

Ah but how old was your engine?

On 22/11/2021 at 14:56, Lizette said:

Hi. Just an update. Maffi- I know you were in Oxford but thanks anyway.

I called Canal River Rescue and although the guy did not replace the belt . He tightened the belt and took me through what I need to do and what size belt I need and I feel happy about doing it now

He also started my engine which means I can have heating and hot water.

Another thing I have learnt.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and help. One day I shall post something, other than requests for help- lol!

Oh good it's done. But you didn't call me back.

Do you know what size the belt was and have you got a new one, just in case?

Edited by Maffi

The belt size and part no is written on the wide /outer edge of the belt.....its always wise to have a set of replacement belts as spares ...they are only a few quid each......Its also wise to learn how to do some basic stuff on a boat....like tension and replace belts ,change fuel filters,check and top up oil ,etc.