RIP Alan J Izatt or Alanji as we knew him

matty40s

Featured Posts

He was an outstanding gentleman and a great friend.

When we first met him, his life was in turmoil and a bottle of scotch a day his medicine. 

I have many stories of our cruising together during this time - him and the untrainable James, including the maiden flight of his first drone, all 30 seconds of it until he flew it into the canal.

Meeting Dona gave him 5 years of happiness, something I know he will be grateful for.

He was not well for the last 6 months but remained cheerful.

He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

I do remember after buddying him up the Trent on his first cruise from Nottingham, we stopped at the Trent mouth for lunch. He forgot his wallet and the camouflage boat was on the outside of the moorings. I paid for lunch(the last and only time I was allowed), and spotted a WPC wandering past, explained to her the threat of said boat,  and soon after there was a police van in the car park. 

After I left him at Shardlow, he had gearbox issues and posted in here for advice.

A very long and convoluted thread ensued, with all sorts of cone worn and rebuild advice, I just said, check the oil level and top up Alan.

He did, and it worked.

So I then got the job of sorting his TV reception for the 5 or 6 nations Scotland game....a 10 minute fix, lunch provided..I had to turn down the dram of pudding as I had arrived by car.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 4

We met Alan at the Loughborough auction banter. I bought a half finished tapestry purely for the frame it was on. Alan approached and explained that it was his late wife's project and should I finish it he'd love to have it back. Unfortunately because it was tapestry rather than embroidery so I never was able to complete it, but it was the start of an enduring friendship 

We stayed the night on his boat for a banter some years ago. It turned out he was a night owl like me and we sat up until the wee hours (demolishing a fair quantity of whisky) during which time he talked so fondly and sadly about his late wife I was reduced to tears. I was really worried he'd carry on trying to drown his sorrows in a whisky bottle.

It was therefore joyful news to find out he'd found love again with Dona. I followed their adventures on Facebook and regularly chatted. The last time we saw him was at Matty and Kathy's wedding where he was as always full of fun and larger than life.

Thanks for your friendship Alan, you'll be missed.

Edited by Ange
Clarification
  • Greenie 2

I posted this memory on Facebook a couple of weeks ago and Alan and I had a laughFB_IMG_1636955137553.jpg.edfe792994811d2910f8fc10ad540555.jpg

This was the night we shared Alan's boat with him and James. Millie instantly stole James' bone, the sight of such a small dog grappling with a big dog's bone* made us laugh, but Alan was amazed that the very vocal James just let her take it.

But then if you met Millie ...

*for big dog read normal sized, Millie was very small but had shedloads of attitude

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 2

I am sure it was Alan we passed, and briefly inspected each other's boats on the Kennet and Avon canal mid 2014.

I recognised the boat name from forum postings, and from my pre purchase comparator excel spread sheet. 

A Nottingham boat builders boat if my memory serves me well.

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, DandV said:

I am sure it was Alan we passed, and briefly inspected each other's boats on the Kennet and Avon canal mid 2014.

I recognised the boat name from forum postings, and from my pre purchase comparator excel spread sheet. 

A Nottingham boat builders boat if my memory serves me well.

It would indeed have been Alan, he was down there then. His boat was a Castle class SW Durham steelworks boat built for sale by....Nottingham Marina.

Our thoughts are with Dona at this time, who hasnt been able to see as much of Alan in the last 18 months as she could due to the Transatlantic Covid restrictions....but was with him at the end.

• Greenie 1

On 16/11/2021 at 04:04, matty40s said:

It would indeed have been Alan, he was down there then. His boat was a Castle class SW Durham steelworks boat built for sale by....Nottingham Marina.

Our thoughts are with Dona at this time, who hasnt been able to see as much of Alan in the last 18 months as she could due to the Transatlantic Covid restrictions....but was with him at the end.

For some reason I have a belief that Alan  later sold that boat to buy another. Am I correct?

I too met Alan at the Loughborough Charity Auction. This was to raise funds for Chesterfield Canal Trust. He said he wanted to donate his late wife's collection of scarves for us to sell and when they materialised there came a large quantity of other stuff including some beautiful costume jewellery among other things. 

Having heard me spend so much time singing the praises of The Chesterfield Canal he decided he needed to visit and he did in September 2013. He thoroughly enjoyed the canal but was planning to turn and head back at Shireoaks as there were, in his view, too many locks to get to the top single-handed. I told him there was no way I was going to let him leave the canal without having experienced the best bit and went out to lock wheel for him the following day. 

This is Alan and James at the head of navigation 

IMG_2231.JPG.fa114d69ba96efcf58136c035ecb3d9a.JPG

As I always do, I really enjoyed working those locks and I managed to take a photo of his boat that was later featured in the Chesterfield Canal Trust calendar and Alan thought it was hilarious that he was a calendar pin up! 

Never one to live up to the stereotype of being a tight Scotsman he was generous to a fault and had a wicked sense of humour. The twinkle in his eye as I took this photo of him handing over a fiver to have his photo taken with "the duck" at Kathy and Matty's wedding will be a lasting memory of him for me

No photo description available.

I was so happy that he had met the lovely Dona, they really made the most of the last 5 years together even though Covid restrictions kept them apart for a chunk of it. 

We were fortunate to meet up with them again last year at Tixall Wide and were able to have a socially distanced catch up before cruising off in opposite directions. 

I know Dona is trying to arrange a little get together for his friends to celebrate his life. While not confirmed yet we believe it will most likely be at the Willaim 1V pub in Alrewas on either Saturday 27th or Sunday 28th of November. 

As soon as I get any confirmation I will post it here 

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

What a wonderful photo - captures the essence of Alan.

It's lovely to see Dona sharing memories of their travels on Facebook of their time together and the places they visited. Sharing the memories seems to give her comfort, they certainly packed in a lot in the five years they were together.

Message from Dona, Alan's partner:

Celebration of Life
Saturday, November 27 1-3pm (welcome to stay later : ))
Join us for a whiskey (whisky) toast and some snacks.
Hope we can share some fun stories.
Please let me know if you plan to come as I need to tell landlord a 'head count' by Tuesday (23rd).
Hope to see you there!

• Love 1

We'd have loved to be there. Dave and I had a long very circular conversation which revolved around me saying we have to be there and Dave bringing me down to earth with it's over 3 hours in the car, you'll need a day to recuperate, it'll be over by then. Too late to book a couple of days off work for Dave. In my ideal world we'd be heading up there now so I could rest in preparation. 

I'll be there in spirit, holding up a bottle of Newkie Brown in memory of a dear friend.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Regrettably we are also unable to attend due to me having some health problems of my own.

We will be there in spirit, and I have let Dona know as well as offering her any support she needs.

I will be having a dram for Alan on Saturday and he (and Dona) will be in our thoughts.

• Love 2

On 24/11/2021 at 05:42, Kiwidad said:

Regrettably we are also unable to attend due to me having some health problems of my own.

We will be there in spirit, and I have let Dona know as well as offering her any support she needs.

I will be having a dram for Alan on Saturday and he (and Dona) will be in our thoughts.

Sorry to hear that Kiwidad. Increasing our wisdom with age also comes with the unfortunate side effects of decreasing robustness.

Perhaps to recuperate  you need to join the lottery to win a spot for a 7day  stint in a randomly allocated 3 to 4 star hotel here, featuring full security by a combination of private security, armed forces, and police to ensure you stay room bound except for supervised exercise in the yard. Sorry normal hotel facilities will not be available. 

At least, if you did take this path, when you get out it will be into warm summer weather.

All the best though in the UK.  Enjoy that dram, and perhaps another or two. 

So many lovely friends are having difficulties with their health at present. I think many of us have reached an age where it finally dawns on us that we are not spring chickens any more! 

I know there are many, many people who loved Alan and would have wanted to attend to show respect for a thoroughly lovely chap but I think it is very important that everyone remembers that, if that thoroughly lovely chap were around to hear the trials and tribulations that are preventing people attending a booze up in his memory he would hoot with laughter that they were even considering making the journey. 

He had been a boater long enough to understand that travelling any distance for an event that was only lasting a few hours could be an expensive logistical nightmare and could be even worse in winter.  

I am sure he would be very happy that people stay tucked up safely in the comfort of their own homes and raise a glass of something they enjoy while drawing on the bank of wonderful memories of times spent among friends. 

There are sufficient people going to make it worthwhile and I know your messages to Dona are much appreciated so please don't feel guilty or sad you can't be there. I wouldn't be surprised is Alan would have suggested you were perhaps be a weeny bit of a stereotypical Scot and you should be happy about the money you saved by not going ;)