Oil pressure sender: odd size

Peter Sharp

Featured Posts

Hello,

I'm trying to fit a new oil pressure sender to my BMC 1500 but have been unable to find an adaptor to fit to the hole size. The current sender is a PTR-1001-10EC which apparently has a "1/4 BSP 19 Tpi" fitting. I have a new sender but it is the standard 1/8" NPTF fitting and I can't find an adaptor anywhere online. Does anyone have any ideas where I might source such a thing? As a secondary question: why does it have a non-standard fitting?!?

Many thanks in advance,

Peter

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Thank you ! I don't know why I couldn't find that on google....I'll give it a go!

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Are you sure that the new sender is a match to your gauge on the panel? There are 2 differing standards.  Most 1.5D BMC that I have seen have 1/8" BSP tappings.

Yes, thanks for checking: I bought a durite combined gauge and sender kit as it wasn't much more than the new sender and then I knew they would go! I assumed (from what I read) that mine would have  a 1/8 tapping as well...but it doesn't.

• 2 months later...
On 14/11/2021 at 19:38, Peter Sharp said:

Thank you ! I don't know why I couldn't find that on google....I'll give it a go!

Yes, thanks for checking: I bought a durite combined gauge and sender kit as it wasn't much more than the new sender and then I knew they would go! I assumed (from what I read) that mine would have  a 1/8 tapping as well...but it doesn't.

Both of the sensors I've just fitted were 1/8th, BUT the early model BMC 1500 I'm restoring already had adapters fitted to what looks like 1/2 inch, although I have not measured them. Adapters are easy to buy from Fleabay or Amazingzone.