continue cruising

illia

Featured Posts

Hello all , I hope everything is fine...

I just wanted to know: in a countinue cruising do you have to move every 2 weeks right? How many km do you have to move ? (E.g. 5 km...etc)

Also, if I will sell the boat and I will move outside the UK and I won't be able to move it every two weeks , is it possible to park the boat on the canal for free without paying a fee?

..it isn't specified in the canal and river trust website... THANK YOU in adavance for your help...

2 minutes ago, illia said:

Hello all , I hope everything is fine...

I just wanted to know: in a countinue cruising do you have to move every 2 weeks right? How many km do you have to move ? (E.g. 5 km...etc)

Also, if I will sell the boat and I will move outside the UK and I won't be able to move it every two weeks , is it possible to park the boat on the canal for free without paying a fee?

..it isn't specified in the canal and river trust website... THANK YOU in adavance for your help...

Best to moor your boat in a marina.

5 minutes ago, illia said:

Also, if I will sell the boat and I will move outside the UK and I won't be able to move it every two weeks

If you sell the boat then you will be no longer be responsible  for moving it so don't worry - sell the boat, move outside the UK and be happy.

I just wanted to know: in a countinue cruising do you have to move every 2 weeks right?

14 days is the maximum allowable, but some areas you can moor are limited to 2 hours, or 24 hours or 48 hours or 7 days, so you need to look carefully where you are mooring to find which duration of mooring you are using.

is it possible to park the boat on the canal for free without paying a fee?

No

If you want to stay in a place without moving then you need to pay for a permanent mooring. Costs vary between £2000 and £15,000 per year depending on where you are in the country (London is very expensive, the North is much cheaper) and what facilities the mooring has (water, electricity etc)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

26 minutes ago, illia said:

If you are asking where you can leave the boat while it is up for sale and waiting for a buyer after you've left the country, some brokers will allow the boat to be left at their premises while they try to sell it for you for a fee.

Illia obviously does not speak English very well, and I suspect that "if I will" actually means 'if I want to", and alias has already answered that. Her post, mentioning also continuous cruising, makes it intriguing to know what she does with her boat at present.

Tam

57 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Illia obviously does not speak English very well, and I suspect that "if I will" actually means 'if I want to", and alias has already answered that. Her post, mentioning also continuous cruising, makes it intriguing to know what she does with her boat at present.

Tam

In another thread she was viewing boats for sale. So I suspect she isn't doing anything with her boat yet.

6 hours ago, alias said:

If you are asking where you can leave the boat while it is up for sale and waiting for a buyer after you've left the country, some brokers will allow the boat to be left at their premises while they try to sell it for you for a fee.

Yes this is the case but most have a time limit. If the boat hasn't sold after <some agreed period e.g. 3 months>, they start charging mooring fees. 

I think this is to stop abuse by owners setting an impossibly high price, to get the free mooring and not sell the boat.  

6 hours ago, alias said:

For illia's benefit, in general the deal with a broker is that you can leave your boat with the broker and they will try to sell your boat for about 6% of the final selling price. You don't need to pay any mooring fees to the broker while it's on their premises (marina) and up for sale, but if you decide to take the boat back rather than selling it they will charge you for the time it was moored with them.

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes this is the case but most have a time limit. If the boat hasn't sold after <some agreed period e.g. 3 months>, they start charging mooring fees. 

I think this is to stop abuse by owners setting an impossibly high price, to get the free mooring and not sell the boat.  

I didn't know they had time limits. I would have thought that owners/sellers who set unreasonably high prices would just be refused by the broker from the outset? Why would the broker even list the boat if they thought the price was impossibly high?

Edited by blackrose

51 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I didn't know they had time limits. I would have thought that owners/sellers who set unreasonably high prices would just be refused by the broker from the outset? Why would the broker even list the boat if they thought the price was impossibly high?

Any sensible broker would set time limits,  especially in this market. A sale price is set by the seller, so the broker will give their advice, and if the seller is far too greedy/optimistic/desperate, they may insist on an certain figure. The broker can say "Ok, we will try that for a month or two, but if the overwhelming reaction of viewing buyers is that it is overpriced, we should drop it to my recommendation"

A seller who will not move, is very likely to be told to take their boat elsewhere after 2 months unsold in this market. ....or be charged mooring fees at the going rate over Winter for keeping the boat there.

9 hours ago, illia said:

Also, if I will sell the boat and I will move outside the UK and I won't be able to move it every two weeks

Hi Illia,

Did you mean  "if I will buy the boat and I will move outside the UK..... ", and not, "if I will sell the boat....."

If you can answer that, things may be a little clearer.

Yes Richard if I will buy the boat...

however, i am concerned about the coniuos cruising as well, because I read in the canal & river trust guidance that every two weeks you have to move at lest 10 km..

is it true?

However, a HUGE thank you to everybody...for me it's all quite new , and before buying this boat, I would love to understand things better...

• Greenie 1

If you are planning on buying a boat and spending a lot of time overseas (2 weeks +) please think about getting yourself a mooring. It will be an extra expense but will keep you from abusing the system by abandoning your boat on the towpath. Alternatively you could book onto visitor moorings at marinas if you don't want the committment of a full time mooring. Depending on how often you are away this could work out cheaper. 

I agree with what Mike says as a general guide but be aware that you need to move your boat as part of an continuing journey and not just move back and forth between to or three places.

It is not for CaRT to prove that you are not cruising/moving as they require you to. It is you that has to prove that you are. The actual law that underpins all this uses the words "satisfy the board". If you can't satisfy CaRT (the Board) that you are moving as they require they can and will simply refuse to issue a license for your boat and in the end they will eventually take your boat out of the water and if you can't/won't pay what they ask either sell or scrap your boat.

From what I can gather from the topic I think that you need to get a home mooring where you can leave your boat for long periods.

If you can work out a regular pattern of cruising then it may work out cheaper to rent a marina mooring for periods of time, so for example if you are going to cruise for 3 months, then travel abroad for 3 months and then travel again etc. then booking a marina mooring for the 3 month periods would be practical. If you pick the right locations then you can move around between marinas and some you wouldn't need a CRT licence while staying at which may make it even cheaper, but a lot of research is needed to identify these. You could also leave the boat for a week or two if needed during the 'cruising' period but two weeks is the limit. If you need more flexibility then a home mooring is by far the easiest option.

Just to add on the subject of home moorings, the price does depend heavily on location, boat size and services. If you have a 60ft x 12ft wide beam and want to moor in London then expect an annual cost of over £10,000 but a couple of example figures: a friend's mooring at Engineer's Wharf in North London (accessible by underground with a bit of a walk) is £6,000 per year for a 72ft narrowboat and comes with services such as permanent 32amp connection, telephone connection for internet and pump-out on site. At the other end of the scale, our offside linear mooring on the Shropshire Union is £1000 per year for a 38ft boat. It comes with absolutely nothing, not even mooring rings as you have to provide your own mooring pins, and we did have to dredge it out by about 18" to get the boat in, but it is cheap!

Alec

10 hours ago, illia said:

However, a HUGE thank you to everybody...for me it's all quite new , and before buying this boat, I would love to understand things better...

Hello Illia,

If you can try to say exactly what you want to do it will be easier for people to give you good information. At the moment it appears to be that you want to buy a boat to live on but you will not be in England all the time - is that correct? Where in England would you like to have a boat?

Tam

It is possible that the OP, ie Original Poster, is looking at a place to live while she is working, perhaps in London. There are many thousands of people who like the idea, thinking it will be simple, and cheap. 

They might be lucky. I am sure some are lucky. 

Leaving your boat in an unknown place while you go abroad every two weeks is asking for trouble.

I am very careful where I moor, has to be safe. 

Should be accessible to water and Elsan (a cassette toilet need emptied a very week) 

If you are not careful things will go wrong, even if you are careful, things can go wrong, and the boat becomes a bit of a nightmare.

Renting a room in London may have problems, but you can just walk away from them! 

Regarding the purchase of a boat, if you intend to use it all year round, you need a good boat with a good solid fuel stove, a Boat Safety Certificate that is not due to run out, and a good survey. 

A major advantage of having a mooring or being in a marina is that you have access to assistance.

Buying a boat which you will find you know very little about in an area you are not familiar with requires a lot of research and/or risk. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I agree with what Mike says as a general guide but be aware that you need to move your boat as part of an continuing journey and not just move back and forth between to or three places.

It is not for CaRT to prove that you are not cruising/moving as they require you to. It is you that has to prove that you are. The actual law that underpins all this uses the words "satisfy the board". If you can't satisfy CaRT (the Board) that you are moving as they require they can and will simply refuse to issue a license for your boat and in the end they will eventually take your boat out of the water and if you can't/won't pay what they ask either sell or scrap your boat.

From what I can gather from the topic I think that you need to get a home mooring where you can leave your boat for long periods.

And as I said earlier there will be some quibbling, and here its by me!  

I think the bit I have highlighted in bold above is almost, but not quite right. I would substitute that part of Tony's sentence with the following:

"If you can't satisfy CaRT (the Board) that you are moving as the law requires they can and will simply refuse to issue a license"

Point being, CRT do not make up the rather abstruse requirements, they are written into the law of the land. 

I agree mike, but that is where it all gets messy and very expensive if an individual tries to challenge CaRT's interpretation of the law. We know that you are correct but the way CaRT operates it is their interpretation of the law that matters to individual boaters, not the letter of the law.

10 hours ago, illia said:

however, i am concerned about the coniuos cruising as well, because I read in the canal & river trust guidance that every two weeks you have to move at lest 10 km..

is it true?

I don't know where you've read that, but that's not CRT guidance.

The only guidance which you would need to keep to is:  https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/633-guidance-for-boaters-without-a-home-mooring.pdf

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I agree mike, but that is where it all gets messy and very expensive if an individual tries to challenge CaRT's interpretation of the law. We know that you are correct but the way CaRT operates it is their interpretation of the law that matters to individual boaters, not the letter of the law.

Yes this highlights an important point i missed in my post earlier.

The asking of the question in the first place even though in all innocence, suggests there might be an intention in the mind of the OP to operate the boat as close to the limits of the law as possible, and a belief that those limits are expressed in terms of distance travelled fortnightly. This isn't true. The limits of the law lie in the intentions of the boater as opposed to distances travelled. The intention to continuously cruise, versus the intention to cruise as little as possible whilst still not paying for a home mooring. This is the subtlety I mentioned in my opening comment of my post. 

12 hours ago, illia said:

is it true?

10km is about three hours cruising, discounting locks. Can you really be considered to be continuously cruising if you do less than that in a fortnight? Twelve days travelling a year?