Thoughts on manufacturers

AndyE

Featured Posts

Thanks to the thoughts from the eminent members of this community I’ve been converted from widebeam plans into seeking a sub-60ft new or used narrowboat. 

Now I’m trying to find a quality manufacturer (that can also give me the headroom I need… circa 6’6” in the centre of the saloon).

thoughts and opinions gratefully received!

sub-question… any thoughts on Pintail boats / Forton fit out … I can very little online. Thanks!

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Visit Colecraft.

To amplify:  Visit them even if you decide that you are going to buy second-hand.  Listening to them and seeing their manufacturing facility will be informative.  They will be happy to talk to you.  From their point of view you may be a customer in a few year's time.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

You can buy a used boat now. You will probably have to wait 18 months - 2 years for a new boat, especially one bespoke to your requirements.

Absolutely. I’m aware of the lead times which is why I say “new or used”. But thanks anyway. 

7 hours ago, AndyE said:

any thoughts on Pintail boats

I am currently having a 9' widebeam built by them (now at first fix stage) and am very happy so far. An interesting company - based on a steel fabricators that have diversified. Their first boat build was for their own hire company. They make shells for some other hire boat companies (e.g. Silsden Boats) as well as individual specced boats to full completion. They also make glamping pods. They are not very hot on modern web/social media but take a look at Daleside Welding and Fabrication on Facebook which gives an idea of what they do. I am particularly pleased with the quality of the steel fabrication and the care taken in the build. Feel free to PM me if you would like further info.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Another steel fabricator - its an easy step from building a skip to putting a pointy end on one and calling it a narrowboat.

Sorry Alan I’m a little perplexed. It was Pintail I was asking about, not Dragon. 

How was your experience with Pintail? How was their quality? Value for money? Timeliness?

How long ago did you buy your Pintail? I see their company (06412228) was incorporated in 2007, so I’d be reassured if your experience is recent. 

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, jpcdriver said:

I am currently having a 9' widebeam built by them (now at first fix stage) and am very happy so far.

Good info, much appreciated! Who is doing the fitout? Also Pintail or a different company? (Sorry I would have PM’d but it looks like I’ve exceeded my quota of zero messages!? … I’ll work that one out another day)

13 minutes ago, AndyE said:

Sorry Alan I’m a little perplexed. It was Pintail I was asking about, not Dragon. 

How was your experience with Pintail? How was their quality? Value for money? Timeliness?

How long ago did you buy your Pintail? I see their company (06412228) was incorporated in 2007, so I’d be reassured if your experience is recent. 

Many thanks!

Alan just enjoys posting that container picture when anybody mentions a new builder.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Only when they say they are a steel fabiricator trying a new outlet / product to keep the welders busy.

Well,.....

the company that built this years Crick boatshow winner only really got going due to lockdown when shopfitting went tits up. The owner had already fitted his own boat out and sold it on, so he got his team to do something constructive. He now has an order book to 2024 and has just moved into new premises.

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Only when they say they are a steel fabiricator trying a new outlet / product to keep the welders busy.

I agree with you Alan. It makes my blood boil to see people creating a new product, maybe new jobs, and making claims about said product’s innovation or differentiating features. 

Relaxing with a bit of GB News or the Daily Mail usually gets my blood pressure back under control. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, jpcdriver said:

Yes, Pintail are doing the fitout.

Thanks you and hope it continues to go well!

9 hours ago, luggsy said:

Mine is a XR&D and has standing height of 6ft 6inchs

Good info; thanks luggsy. If there are any notable pros and cons of XR&D then I’d be happy to learn. 

22 hours ago, AndyE said:

sub-question… any thoughts on Pintail boats / Forton fit out … I can very little online. Thanks!

We moored next to a Pintail Boats / Forton fit out for a few years that is now for sale, https://www.aqueductmarina.co.uk/second-hand-boats/the-owl-the-pussycat/. The design of the shell was a little clunky especially around the stern and bow but that may have been owners spec, otherwise it was OK. We never went inside so no clue to the fit out competency.

3 minutes ago, PeterF said:

We moored next to a Pintail Boats / Forton fit out for a few years that is now for sale, https://www.aqueductmarina.co.uk/second-hand-boats/the-owl-the-pussycat/. The design of the shell was a little clunky especially around the stern and bow but that may have been owners spec, otherwise it was OK. We never went inside so no clue to the fit out competency.

Excellent psychic powers Peter ‘cos that was the boat that triggered my question! When you say clunky do you mean aesthetically displeasing (perhaps the wrapped stem?) or do you mean the execution (perhaps the weld quality?). Much appreciated!

Andy,

The fabrication quality of the boat looked good, it was the design /aesthetics that I meant as being clunky, the wrapped stern looks like an afterthought and the way the taff rail is attached is not brilliant and the very pinched in cratch window and small bow locker also look a bit odd. My guess is that the owners, who had it built wanted it like this. There is also the leaning chimney, why not fit an angled through roof fitting like most boat builders so the chimney is vertical.

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have a Tylor Wilson it has 6 6 from centre to floor, 6 3 up the sides. I think you could get an extra 3/4 inch by stripping back the floor coverings. 

Good info, thanks LadyG. If only there were any TWs for sale. I think the owners very sensibly hang onto this strong brand. 

2 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Andy,

The fabrication quality of the boat looked good, it was the design /aesthetics that I meant as being clunky, the wrapped stern looks like an afterthought and the way the taff rail is attached is not brilliant and the very pinched in cratch window and small bow locker also look a bit odd. My guess is that the owners, who had it built wanted it like this. There is also the leaning chimney, why not fit an angled through roof fitting like most boat builders so the chimney is vertical.

Really helpful thanks Peter. Yes, I saw the chimney looks drunk! I agree the wrapped stern etc may well have been intentional.