Jenna Patel

Featured Posts

Hello,

We are a group of University students in Bath and we are conducting some research regarding the waterways and associated green public space in Bath. 

To do this we were hoping to get in touch with people who live along the Avon in Bath!

We are particularly interested in the proportion of permanent boater residents, the type of communities, and other rules and regulations around the area.

In addition, we have a questionnaire if you do live in the area! (I have attached it to the link below) Please send your responses to greenequityvip@groups.bath.ac.uk

Thank you ever so much and hope you get in touch!

Jenna Patel and Green Equity at the University of Bath. 

River survey .docx

I might comment that many folk who live in boats moored along the Avon and the western end of the K&A canal may not be complying with the Authority's rules related to mooring and/or living aboard and therefore some or most of them are unlikely to give you honest answers to your questions.  Are you aware of C&RT's position on these matters?  If not, there are thousands of relevant posts on hundreds of threads on this website, which you may like to read as background material.

Towpath lighting? Not sure I've ever seen any nor that's it's needed or wanted.  I'd have assumed if you want light you'd carry a torch? Not to mention the environmental impact of installing and running all the lighting...

Edited by Quattrodave

1 hour ago, Jenna Patel said:

Hello,

We are a group of University students in Bath and we are conducting some research regarding the waterways and associated green public space in Bath. 

To do this we were hoping to get in touch with people who live along the Avon in Bath!

We are particularly interested in the proportion of permanent boater residents, the type of communities, and other rules and regulations around the area.

In addition, we have a questionnaire if you do live in the area! (I have attached it to the link below) Please send your responses to greenequityvip@groups.bath.ac.uk

Jenna Patel and Green Equity at the University

All I can say is get off your computers and walk down the canal/river bank. You will find some happy to talk, some not, however, you will achieve far more by showing a face than posting a questionnaire.

You might also try to contact KANDA or the NBTA

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

Hi Matty. 

We have spoken to boaters already and are planning to speak to people along the riverside. To avoid any further confusion we have contacted this online forum as only a part of our investigation in order to get some responses from people we haven’t managed to meet with. 

kind regards and have a nice day! 

Jenna

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, Jenna Patel said:

Hi Matty. 

We have spoken to boaters already and are planning to speak to people along the riverside. To avoid any further confusion we have contacted this online forum as only a part of our investigation in order to get some responses from people we haven’t managed to meet with. 

kind regards and have a nice day! 

Jenna

Well done.

49 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

sometimes threatening population

Yes be careful, alcoholism and drugs is an unfortunate reality. You may like to wait for the summer as they seem to be a little less aggressive, although you will then have to suffer the bongos.

On 14/11/2021 at 11:17, Jenna Patel said:

Hello,

Jenna Patel and Green Equity at the University of Bath. 

River survey .docx 266.01 kB · 29 downloads

Interesting - I know this length of river very well having walked, cycled and boated along it - I have also fallen in it from a boat and whilst I got out it wasn't any thanks to the safety equipment on the river! That was in 2011 and things have improved a bit. 

When you refer to people who "live along the river" do you mean on boats or in houses? Your questions relate to the towpath and the vast majority of users won't be boaters. Some, like me (most of the time) will be commuters. 

23 hours ago, blackrose said:

It's Byron Bay upmarket now?

I went there in 1987. There wasn't a lot there at the time.

You have to book a park bench to take drugs under. 
we go inland to the tablelands now going north from where our family are.

Mind you if our camper gets any more tatty we might become almost accepted there.

13 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Interesting - I know this length of river very well having walked, cycled and boated along it - I have also fallen in it from a boat and whilst I got out it wasn't any thanks to the safety equipment on the river! That was in 2011 and things have improved a bit. 

When you refer to people who "live along the river" do you mean on boats or in houses? Your questions relate to the towpath and the vast majority of users won't be boaters. Some, like me (most of the time) will be commuters. 

Hi Roland, 

thank you for your response.  

we are trying to reach out to all riverside users and used this channel to contact boaters but they are not our only/ biggest interest group. 

we are looking at ways to make the riverside more accessible and feel safer for all users. So we 100% appreciate your feedback thank you so much!

kind regards, 

jenna 

41 minutes ago, Jenna Patel said:

Hi Roland, 

thank you for your response.  

we are trying to reach out to all riverside users and used this channel to contact boaters but they are not our only/ biggest interest group. 

we are looking at ways to make the riverside more accessible and feel safer for all users. So we 100% appreciate your feedback thank you so much!

kind regards, 

jenna 

The person you replied to, and quoted, was not that name.

If you talk to the resident boat dwellers, you will hear a lot about what the law SHOULD  be and how they're treated unfairly because the law isn't what it SHOULD be. 

The river,  with its varying levels and propensity to flood is a more difficult place to live than the canal and few will be living there by choice. Many will be,  for want of a better word, refugees from enforcement action on the canal. I would suggest that you familiarise yourselves with the political environment of the waterways. A good place to start is to look at the CaRT licence application online then ask the various groups (RBOA, NABO etc) for their views and interpretation of the licensing conditions. Not everyone lives where they want to and you can find every state from complete contentment to utter desperation depending upon the gulf between the necessary and the permitted. 

Sociologically, it's a can of worms.

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

If you talk to the resident boat dwellers, you will hear a lot about what the law SHOULD  be and how they're treated unfairly because the law isn't what it SHOULD be. 

The river,  with its varying levels and propensity to flood is a more difficult place to live than the canal and few will be living there by choice. Many will be,  for want of a better word, refugees from enforcement action on the canal. I would suggest that you familiarise yourselves with the political environment of the waterways. A good place to start is to look at the CaRT licence application online then ask the various groups (RBOA, NABO etc) for their views and interpretation of the licensing conditions. Not everyone lives where they want to and you can find every state from complete contentment to utter desperation depending upon the gulf between the necessary and the permitted. 

Sociologically, it's a can of worms.

Good rant, but it's still not got much to do with streetlighting.  Did you read the questionnaire?  @Murflynn didn't ...

• Greenie 1