FLYTIPPING

Maffi

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

In so far as it goes it is progress, now we need the end of "no pedestrian or cycle" access to sites, "

When I bought my first flat the previous occupants had left a sofa behind, which I didn't want. So, having no car, and as the local tip was only a couple of streets away, I made a hole through the fabric and stuffing, tied a rope around the wooden frame inside, then put the other end of the rope over my shoulder and took the sofa for a drag down the road.  I dragged it past the queue of cars waiting to unload their garden waste or whatever and into the site. Nobody seemed to mind and a site employee directed me where to leave it. Then I untied the rope and walked home.

I would have been very pi**ed off if they'd told me no pedestrian access and made me drag it back home again!

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Or just plain idleness.  I passed a fly-tipped double bed today (which would have been readily accepted at the local recycling centre) it was in a lay-by 1 mile out of town and one mile from the "tip".

Or someone without a car who thought they’d paid a reputable waste disposal company to get rid of a bed, and rather than pay for a licence the nice lads with the flatbed transit just trousered the cash and punted it into a lay-by they were passing on the way to nick scrap out of peoples gardens?

I don’t get the lazy thing, it’s as much effort to chuck it into the scenery as it is to take it to a tip. There has to be a reason they won’t go.

Not saying you’re wrong, it just doesn’t make sense to me why someone would do it.

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

then came needing a sticker in the car window,

When my Father came out of hospital a month before he died, amongst the pile of unopened post on his doormat was a notice, valid for the next 12 months, to be displayed on the dashboard when visiting any of the Council's waste sites.  Came in handy when I had to clear his house during the pandemic, when all the charity shops that might normally have taken some of his furniture etc. were closed due to lockdown.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Since Covid you are required to have a booking to use our local one, they also close one day mid week

During Covid we had to queue (up to 2 hours) and only 3 vehicles on the premises at a time.

1 hour ago, Slow and Steady said:

Chucked on the way home after refusal?

Hardly. I have taken beds and there has been no problem.

24 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Or someone without a car who thought they’d paid a reputable waste disposal company to get rid of a bed, and rather than pay for a licence the nice lads with the flatbed transit just trousered the cash and punted it into a lay-by they were passing on the way to nick scrap out of peoples gardens?

I don’t get the lazy thing, it’s as much effort to chuck it into the scenery as it is to take it to a tip. There has to be a reason they won’t go.

Not saying you’re wrong, it just doesn’t make sense to me why someone would do it.

In this area fly tipping seems to be  largish loads of mixed stuff not just single items.  However I suppose it is possible.

28 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Absolutely there is. At my last house the local tip would not let you in unless you had a permit on display in your car windscreen, a permit they posted out to only people paying council tax in the area. 

Note car.  I suspect turning up in a van, truck, pickup, flatbed or anything that looked vaguely commercial would have resulted in being turned away, permit or not. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

When I bought my first flat the previous occupants had left a sofa behind, which I didn't want. So, having no car, and as the local tip was only a couple of streets away, I made a hole through the fabric and stuffing, tied a rope around the wooden frame inside, then put the other end of the rope over my shoulder and took the sofa for a drag down the road.  I dragged it past the queue of cars waiting to unload their garden waste or whatever and into the site. Nobody seemed to mind and a site employee directed me where to leave it. Then I untied the rope and walked home.

I would have been very pi**ed off if they'd told me no pedestrian access and made me drag it back home again!

Our local one has signage for pedestrians

Lancashire cc seem to make up rules every time you go. You can only take 2 wheel trailer without a permit. Vans/pickups need a permit. I forgot and turned up in a twin axle trailer without a permit once, Turned away went back 30 mins later with the same stuff on a single axle trailer 'no problem Sir' .... another time with a big single axle trailer they suddenly pointed to a new sign that said trailers had to be less than 3m in length....

'Inert' waste I.e building rubble,plasterboard etc needs a permit and your only allowed 12 x 25kg bags a year...

So no surprise to me that fly tipping is rife....

15 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Lancashire cc seem to make up rules every time you go. You can only take 2 wheel trailer without a permit. Vans/pickups need a permit. I forgot and turned up in a twin axle trailer without a permit once, Turned away went back 30 mins later with the same stuff on a single axle trailer 'no problem Sir' .... another time with a big single axle trailer they suddenly pointed to a new sign that said trailers had to be less than 3m in length....

'Inert' waste I.e building rubble,plasterboard etc needs a permit and your only allowed 12 x 25kg bags a year...

So no surprise to me that fly tipping is rife....

During the covid they'd only let you use one skip per booked visit so if you had one piece of wood, one plastic box, some engine oil... you had to book 3 visits.

I think once they get their contract they do all in their power to avoid actually taking anything! They should be fined along with the fly tippers.

Edited by Slow and Steady