FLYTIPPING

Maffi

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Maffi said:

Oh FFS use some leeway here! Go to the council with the evidence gained and report them!!!!!

Well to use your term FFS realise that the council don't have the resources to do anything about it!!!!!!! As the earlier link showed, even when they catch them it really isn't worth the bother for the penalties that the illegal fly tippers get.

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Well to use your term FFS realise that the council don't have the resources to do anything about it!!!!!!! As the earlier link showed, even when they catch them it really isn't worth the bother for the penalties that the illegal fly tippers get.

That was my thought too. And the incentive to dump rubbish is in part due to the cost of legal disposal. We're in the silly situation that I can buy many goods new, but I'm not allowed to recycle them, buying waste without the right permit and after paying for it. I would even require a permit for my vehicle to carry goods to be recycled.

With laws this messed up and the lack of resources given to councils up it's not surprising dumping goes on.

Some people just don't have their feet on the ground and live in La La land.

On 03/12/2021 at 22:52, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I went to the papers in Coventry several years ago about this very subject. I consequently took my evidence to the council and got two perps prosecuted!

Edited by Maffi
  • Greenie 2

On 08/12/2021 at 19:30, Maffi said:

I went to the papers in Coventry several years ago about this very subject. I consequently took my evidence to the council and got two perps prosecuted!

Two points I'd raise on this, one was your comment '....several years ago....'pretty much all councils have lost a lot of staff over the period of 'several years' and many cannot even supply the services that they are mandated to do. You also didn't mention the penalties that the offenders received, was it enough to make it uneconomic for the cowboy 'waste disposal' companies that are making large sums of money by illegally dumping industrial amounts of waste in our countryside? At the moment the fines they are receiving almost fall into the realms of 'business expenses'.

Its funny how councils dont have resources  to chase  well known criminals.......but they have plenty of resources to harass and intimidate  land owners for such terrible things as grass longer than  8",in a two acre paddock,or a shipping container temporarily placed beside a shed..............Its also funny how councils can mobilize resources against landowners when a developer wants to buy the land ,and its backhanders all round at city hall.

18 minutes ago, Jerra said:

What is the cost of a 1400 mile round trip in terms of fuel and wages?

My thought exactly. They can't be very bright, can they?

John, have you any evidence of lorries having covered such absurdly long distances just to dispose of waste?

39 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I am left wondering which is more costly chasing the tippers or clearing up the mess they leave.   In our area it is always cleared soon after being reported.

Remember that in many cases the councils pay nothing to clear fly tipping, in fact they take a cut from it when they charge the land owner, or their contractor, to dispose of the fly tipped rubbish. The councils or their tip operators well make money from fly tipping.

48 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Remember that in many cases the councils pay nothing to clear fly tipping, in fact they take a cut from it when they charge the land owner, or their contractor, to dispose of the fly tipped rubbish. The councils or their tip operators well make money from fly tipping.

Most fly tipping round here is in laybys, and grass verges, so I can't see who they will be charging

3 hours ago, john.k said:

Its funny how councils dont have resources  to chase  well known criminals.......but they have plenty of resources to harass and intimidate  land owners for such terrible things as grass longer than  8",in a two acre paddock,or a shipping container temporarily placed beside a shed..............Its also funny how councils can mobilize resources against landowners when a developer wants to buy the land ,and its backhanders all round at city hall.

Giving your location as Brisbane are you talking about the UK? (I can't find a Brisbane in the UK).

3 hours ago, john.k said:

Trucks with 40 tons of waste coming from 700miles away to avoid waste disposal fees.....The crooks cotton very quickly.

Can you give further details of how a truck with 40 tons of waste can avoid disposal fees, are you suggesting they go to mainland Europe? 700 miles from where?

7 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

Ah, I see. I didn't think Australia had any canals.

Always worth checking before making such a comment - there are quite a few canals in Australia, and several of them are navigable.

Not that it matters, as there are several Antipodean forum members who come here to use our canals.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Australia is a big country with plenty of unoccupied space - 700 miles is 'next door' to an Ozzy.

Its also vaguely puzzling why they don't just stop in the outback after say, 350 miles and tip it there, then go back home. Only half the mileage!

6 hours ago, Jerra said:

I am left wondering which is more costly chasing the tippers or clearing up the mess they leave.   In our area it is always cleared soon after being reported.

We still have asbestos on the grass verge that I reported back in June. I would clear it up but then I can't get rid of it 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

We still have asbestos on the grass verge that I reported back in June. I would clear it up but then I can't get rid of it 

Contrary to what many people think, asbestos is easy to dispose of. Most recycling, dumps accept asbestos. Most just ask for it to be double bagged. Dont just chuck it in general waste. The solid sheet stuff is a doddle, just be sensible and take precautions. A bit harder if on a boat with no car of course. I got rid of some last year at the tip with zero problem or cost.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Contrary to what many people think, asbestos is easy to dispose of. Most recycling, dumps accept asbestos. Most just ask for it to be double bagged. Dont just chuck it in general waste. The solid sheet stuff is a doddle, just be sensible and take precautions. A bit harder if on a boat with no car of course. I got rid of some last year at the tip with zero problem or cost.

That isn't universal, a cut and paste from my local council recycling centre website,"..Asbestos - A maximum of four strong plastic bags, double wrapped and securely sealed. Please make site staff aware of these items on arrival and it must be placed into the container by the resident, at their own risk. A charge will be made from 4 January....." (the site hasn't been updated since last year, the 4th January they refer to is 4th January 2020)

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Contrary to what many people think, asbestos is easy to dispose of. Most recycling, dumps accept asbestos. Most just ask for it to be double bagged.

Calderdale will accept up to 8 sheets/200Kg of asbestos cement sheets per year. Free disposal, but must be double bagged, delivered only to the Halifax central waste site and by appointment only. And you must take it yourself - if a builder or contractor takes it it is regarded as trade waste and won't be accepted.  So presumably nobody is going to take the couple of dozen sheets of corrugated asbestos which have  been dumped in a passing bay on a local private access tracks (also a public footpath) near here.

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

That isn't universal, a cut and paste from my local council recycling centre website,"..Asbestos - A maximum of four strong plastic bags, double wrapped and securely sealed. Please make site staff aware of these items on arrival and it must be placed into the container by the resident, at their own risk. A charge will be made from 4 January....." (the site hasn't been updated since last year, the 4th January they refer to si 4th January 2020)

You are so quick to jump arnt you. Check out what is meant by MOST recycling.............blah blah blah. I took mine to Selby last year and whilst they ask for a set amount if you ring them they accept loads, they even help you unload. Asbestos is also accepted at Lampeter, just up the road. Most places simply ask for it if possible to be dmpened and in sealed bags. Double tied bags is accepted no question. So in short I didnt say its accepted everywhere, try reading before looking like a twatt.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

You are so quick to jump arnt you. Check out what is meant by MOST recycling.............blah blah blah. I took mine to Selby last year and whilst they ask for a set amount if you ring them they accept loads, they even help you unload. Asbestos is also accepted at Lampeter, just up the road. Most places simply ask for it if possible to be dmpened and in sealed bags. Double tied bags is accepted no question. So in short I didnt say its accepted everywhere, try reading before looking like a twatt.

Really??

I think mine and WV's local authorities show what many others across the country will accept, which is only limited quantities and with restrictions.