FLYTIPPING

Maffi

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Re-surface the towpath?;)

Ash is no good for resurfacing the towpath unless it has weathered for a year!

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

You mean so that it sticks to the skip when they try to empty it?:unsure:

OH FFS!!!!!!

I am done with this!

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I doubt it.

Machine Mart sell 12 liter SS buckets!

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Don't worry about that - it will be  a fraction of the emissions that came out of your chimney when you burned the coal.

image.png

MachineMarts Stainless Steel bin comes with a lid for £14.99 I think I posted a link near the top of this post.

3 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

So leave it under a hedge to 'weather' for a year (J for ....!)

JFC!

3 hours ago, Maffi said:

I disagree you cannot compare a professionally run furnace to a poxy Villager stove on a narrow boat run buy some moron who thinks operating a retractable ballpoint pen makes him an engineer. I would argue that most boaters do not urn their fires hot enough to turn good coal into non-toxic shale.

Come up with a way of collecting the particles from my smokeless chimney and we can talk.

I doubt anyone working on a "professionally run furnace" is going to be an engineer , or indeed anyone with qualifications. It's a long time closed shops were outlawed.

I usually find it's experience that makes an engineer, qualifications and belonging to some institution that will take money in return for the use of some logo seems to help to help in the belief that someone is an engineer. In reality they're still unlikely to be an engineer and some of us call ourselves chartered engineers.

The issue here is that someone has chosen to take the high and mighty approach, rather than simply and kindly asking people to dispose of their ashes appropriately. I would go further and say that some of the posts me positively encourage me to dump my ash on nearby grass.

3 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

simply and kindly asking people to dispose of their ashes appropriately

That was my starting point! But when It comes to boaters and dumping their crap on the towpath I find "kindly asking" doesn't help much!!!

15 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Is anyone on here still burning house coal? (if they ever did)

Unfortunately many do/did. I have never understood why you would want that horrible yellow smoke streaming out of your chimney but I still occasionally see it! I am thinking most canal suppliers no longer deal with house coal, but where there is a will there is a way.

Edited by Maffi

3 minutes ago, Maffi said:

That was my starting point! But when It comes to boaters and dumping their crap on the towpath I find "kindly asking" doesn't help much!!!

Given how you have reacted to some of the post, that isn't the message we're hearing.

It should be your starting point, and your finishing point. Anything more and it hardens attitudes.

12 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Is anyone on here still burning house coal? (if they ever did)

I'm pretty sure all the stuff I now see for sale is smokeless. Perhaps different areas stipulate sales differently?

Just now, Mikexx said:

Given how you have reacted to some of the post, that isn't the message we're hearing.

It should be your starting point, and your finishing point. Anything more and it hardens attitudes.

I started off nice, have you read from the beginning?

5 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

Yes I have, you get remember for how things end, rather than how they started.

Did you read my post you're replying to?

yeah I read it! Then I thought who the F are you. One thing you will notice about me is you can see my name, my picture. and the name of my boat. I dont hide behind a blank profile. You could pass me every day and I would never know who you are. You would only need to pass me once and you will know who I am. Your opinion matters not a jot to me because you chose to be invisible. Goodbye

• Greenie 3

15 minutes ago, Maffi said:

yeah I read it! Then I thought who the F are you. One thing you will notice about me is you can see my name, my picture. and the name of my boat. I dont hide behind a blank profile. You could pass me every day and I would never know who you are. You would only need to pass me once and you will know who I am. Your opinion matters not a jot to me because you chose to be invisible. Goodbye

Don't you think you're being a tad oversensitive?

Yes, you do come across for not caring about others' opinions. Sometimes it is better to work with people rather than against them.

Rather than concerning yourself over yours and my profile, you should look closer to home over how you are perceived.

As far as being a blank profile, the moderators of this group will be aware of my name and the email address I use to login into this site contains my personal domain details. The reason why I refrain from providing my full details in my profile here are due to the fanatical nutcases you get here occasionally and I'd rather not get direct 'fan' mail or having anyone knocking on my door or at my boat when an argument has gone against a fellow contributor.

A school friend who became a power station chemist in the days when they were burning coal, told me that the coal they were burning was of such low calorific value that you could not get it to burn in an open fireplace at home. Pulverising it to dust for combustion in a fluidised bed furnace was the only way to get it to burn.This was confirmed officially when an attempt was made to use some in a vintage steam traction engine that was a exhibit at one of their open days, and in unofficial experiments by workers who "borrowed" some to take home to use in their open fires. Thus ash from power station coal is likely to have a different formulation from house coal.

We reguarly used to deposit mixed  ash from the smokeless fuel and hardwood  logs that we burn in the  open fire  at home,  in the flower bed of of our  front garden. It doesn't seem to have had any bad effects on the sunflowers we planted in that bed this year, which grew to  almost 11 feet tall. 

Nowadays I bag the ash in the bags that the smokeless fuel is supplied in, first lining the bags with plastic bags originally supplied by our council for recycable stuff, but rendered redundant when they switched to non-disposable bags that are emptied fortnightly.   

The ash from the locomotives at the steam railway where I help out, is completely different from the ash  we get left with at home. The railway ash consists largely of small back lumps about the size of a glass marble, and has a texture similar to coke. It is completely different from the powdery brown  fly ash  I get from burning wood and smokeless fuel that readily escapes through the inevitable holes and tears in unlined solid fuel bags. I am tempted to bring some home and see if it will burn further at home when used as a bottom layer. 

When starting a fresh fire at home, I leave any unburnt matter from the previous fire in the grate, add fresh fuel on top of that, and start the fire by using a small pile of wood laid on top of the fresh fuel, a tip I read in a 1920's home encyclopaedia.   When the fuel is  coal, lighting from the top largely eliminates the smoke that usually results from lighting from below, as the gas emanating from heated coal, has to pass up through a layer of flames and therefore burns usefully instead of passing up the flue unburnt as smoke.  

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

9 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Your assessment of the outcome of the 'cost cutting exercise' seems to be spot on. My understanding however is that when the significant amounts of waste fly tipped onto farmer's land is removed, it is at the farmer's expense, is that incorrect?

Yes, landowners have to pay to remove fly tipped rubbish 

14 hours ago, MartynG said:

You  could use a metal bucket and empty  the ash directly in the bin at the waste collection point. 

image.png.e2b068bccd0f694dcc67959291b28dac.png

This looks just like the bucket that we use - and although I wouldn't recommend the practice, the paint finish does seem to be sufficiently robust to withstand the red-hot ash and cinders that we occasionally drop into it. The lid helps to keep the ash dry and prevents dust ready for responsible disposal.

Prices on Amazon range from just under £13 but we paid twice that for ours from a our local stove retailer. I don't regret paying the extra because that way we were able to examine the product prior to purchase - some of the reviewers who purchased similar items from Amazon have complained about poor quality and it is likely that these may have received cheap and inferior copies.

15 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

This looks just like the bucket that we use - and although I wouldn't recommend the practice, the paint finish does seem to be sufficiently robust to withstand the red-hot ash and cinders that we occasionally drop into it. The lid helps to keep the ash dry and prevents dust ready for responsible disposal.

Prices on Amazon range from just under £13 but we paid twice that for ours from a our local stove retailer. I don't regret paying the extra because that way we were able to examine the product prior to purchase - some of the reviewers who purchased similar items from Amazon have complained about poor quality and it is likely that these may have received cheap and inferior copies.

The stainless one from Machine Mart is only a couple of quid more and last longer.

Edited by Maffi

I have had to remove a trailer load of lorry tyres,illegaly dumped on my land. Disregarding my time, fuel and the use of my tractor and trailer,the local re-cycling centre charged me £450 to take a 12 ton trailer load.(actual weight about 2.5tons) Also,fridges,washing machines and a large television.

1 hour ago, nebulae said:

I have had to remove a trailer load of lorry tyres, illegally dumped on my land. Disregarding my time, fuel and the use of my tractor and trailer, the local re-cycling center charged me £450 to take a 12 ton trailer load.(actual weight about 2.5tons) Also, fridges, washing machines and a large television.

A lot of truck tyres have a locator/owner tag inside. I know its a lot of time on your part but if you took one tyre to a reading station it could identify who the tyre belonged too. From there you could contact them and find out who replaced the tyre for them. And then deliver the tyres back to them.

On 01/12/2021 at 12:18, Laurie Booth said:

Yes, I do have a coal central heating system.

Do you use house coal or smokeless?

38 minutes ago, Maffi said:

A lot of truck tyres have a locator/owner tag inside. I know its a lot of time on your part but if you took one tyre to a reading station it could identify who the tyre belonged too. From there you could contact them and find out who replaced the tyre for them. And then deliver the tyres back to them.

Rather begs the question of what exactly that will achieve? If they dumped them in the first place, and you return them by identifying them with a locator/owner tag, they will simply grind the tag off and dump it again, possibly in a canal somewhere (always a bundle of fun to get one of them off your prop:angry:).

What is needed is concerted lawful enforcement backed up with punitive fines, a percentage of which will be paid to anyone whose information has led to the successful prosecution. If someone picked up a fine of £20,000 for dumping the said tyres above and I could have 10% of the fine, I'd be out with a camera tracking down fly tippers (nice little earner). People are running businesses making big profits from proper fly-tipping (not just a bit of ash in a hedge somewhere) and the councils responsible for the enforcement don't have the money to actually do the job. When they are caught the fines don't even represent a few days work of illegal fly tipping so where lies any incentive to stop them. The fines should be substantial, enough to fully finance the enforcement plus a bonus for informants, and should be accompanied by vehicle seizure and crushing of vans and lorries used for dumping. If the dumpers try to use hire vehicles then hire companies simply need to put terms in their contract that they will pursue you for the full cost of replacement of any vehicles so seized (they will already have your credit card details)

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

10 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Rather begs the question of what exactly that will achieve? If they dumped them in the first place, and you return them by identifying them with a locator/owner tag, they will simply grind the tag off and dump it again, possibly in a canal somewhere (always a bundle of fun to get one of them off your prop:angry:).

What is needed is concerted lawful enforcement backed up with punitive fines, a percentage of which will be paid to anyone whose information has led to the successful prosecution. If someone picked up a fine of £20,000 for dumping the said tyres above and I could have 10% of the fine, I'd be out with a camera tracking down fly tippers (nice little earner). People are running businesses making big profits from proper fly-tipping (not just a bit of ash in a hedge somewhere) and the councils responsible for the enforcement don't have the money to actually do the job. When they are caught the fines don't even represent a few days work of illegal fly tipping so where lies any incentive to stop them. The fines should be substantial, enough to fully finance the enforcement plus a bonus for informants, and should be accompanied by vehicle seizure and crushing of vans and lorries used for dumping. If the dumpers try to use hire vehicles then hire companies simply need to put terms in their contract that they will pursue you for the full cost of replacement of any vehicles so seized (they will already have your credit card details)

Oh FFS use some leeway here! Go to the council with the evidence gained and report them!!!!!