FLYTIPPING

Maffi

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, Maffi said:

Now the winter is is throwing its freezing wrath at us again can I remind people that dumping coal ash in hedgerows is FLYTIPPING.

Not only that it is also a fire hazard and damaging to the environment. Buckets are not that expensive and can hold your ash while it cools. It can then be placed in a plastic bag (like the one you got the coal in) and disposed of with your other rubbish at an appropriate place. Please let us not give the environmentalists any cause to complain.

Are you sure environmentalists would prefer ash from burnt logs to go to landfill rather than under a hedgerow??

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mikexx said:

Are you sure environmentalists would prefer ash from burnt logs to go to landfill rather than under a hedgerow??

Coal ash (as stated in the OP) yes definitely.

Pure wood ash with no solid fuel or rubbish having been burnt is different as long as it wasn't painted, treated or manufactured wood (chipboard, plywood etc)

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

Ash is ash, Coal originated from trees and heather so I'm not sure the difference, apart from being less ash that from burning wood.

You have much to learn grasshopper :

Coal ash is incredibly dangerous. Short-term exposure can bring irritation of the nose and throat, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and shortness of breath. Long-term exposure can lead to liver damage, kidney damage, cardiac arrhythmia, and a variety of cancers.

Coal ash contains contaminants like mercury, cadmium and arsenic. Without proper management, these contaminants can pollute waterways, ground water, drinking water, and the air

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Maffi said:

Now the winter is is throwing its freezing wrath at us again can I remind people that dumping coal ash in hedgerows is FLYTIPPING.

Not only that it is also a fire hazard and damaging to the environment. Buckets are not that expensive and can hold your ash while it cools. It can then be placed in a plastic bag (like the one you got the coal in) and disposed of with your other rubbish at an appropriate place. Please let us not give the environmentalists any cause to complain.

totally agree. Just last week we were moored in Fazeley, opposite the old CRT office. By chance I went onto the boat at about 7pm (well dark) to find the hedge beside our boat on fire. Fortunately we were able to put it out with canal water. It was quite obviously caused by ashes being chucked into the hedge. You could see the debris. And even more rude to chuck ashes into the hedge beside someone else’s boat!

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You have much to learn grasshopper :

Coal ash is incredibly dangerous. Short-term exposure can bring irritation of the nose and throat, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and shortness of breath. Long-term exposure can lead to liver damage, kidney damage, cardiac arrhythmia, and a variety of cancers.

Coal ash contains contaminants like mercury, cadmium and arsenic. Without proper management, these contaminants can pollute waterways, ground water, drinking water, and the air

Therefore not really the sort of stuff folks should be handling on a regular basis. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Therefore not really the sort of stuff folks should be handling on a regular basis. 

Thre is no need to handle the ash - out of the fire with a shovel, tip it into the ash-bucket, tip-ash bucket down the outside of the lock gate to seal the leaks.

"Untouched by human hand"

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thre is no need to handle the ash - out of the fire with a shovel, tip it into the ash-bucket, tip-ash bucket down the outside of the lock gate to seal the leaks.

"Untouched by human hand"

proper coal ash was fine for improving towpath surfaces and sealing lock gates, unfortunately smokeless is good for neither

Whilst I'm in total agreement with the gist of the thread, and get rid of my ash in the way prescribed, the wider picture of general fly-tipping has been vastly aggravated by the various cutbacks that Councils have been forced into. Anecdotally I have a broken microwave which, despite my best efforts at repairing the broken lock, still won't work as I cannot convince the controls within it that the lock works, so I will have to dispose of it. Have you tried taking stuff to the household recycling centres these day's? I can try to get rid of it at either Bromsgrove or Stourbridge, but for both of them I need a resident's permit or they wont let me in. I first came across this back in about 2015 in the Bath area when I wanted to get rid of waste engine oil, but the BANES recycling centre wouldn't let you in without proof of residency, this seems to be becoming more general. On that occasion I went to the Council Offices for advice, and the lady there couldn't give me any, the dumb advice I got from the YTS boy at Halfords was to just pour it down the drain :angry:.

Whilst there is no justification for fly-tipping, how long am I supposed to carry a busted microwave around with me for?:unsure:

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Until you come to a recycling centre just like I do at home, 

It was a rhetorical question since I'm obviously not going to dump it, but it is getting increasing difficult to get into more and more recycling centres. Leaving a scrap microwave in a spare room at my postal address isn't quite the same problem as having to work around one on the floor of the saloon on the boat. Even the recycling centre at my postal address you have to book a slot and give the car registration of the vehicle you will be bringing the recycling in, not much help when you don't have a car, pedestrian access is not allowed.

I do understand the financial pressures that Local Authorities are under but looking at how much fly tipping is becoming visible it seems that the unintended consequences of excluding people from their recycling centres seems to mean that people then dump stuff elsewhere. I have passed a fridge dumped on the towpath in the middle of nowhere, it had to have come from a boater since there were no roads nearby. Often I will collect rubbish that I come across on my travels and dispose of it at a CRT waste site, but if I'd collected up the fridge, what was I supposed to do with it?

12 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Mr Biffa took my old microwave from the rubbish cupboard at Cambrian House (CRT Offices) in Birmingham. 

How long ago was that? It might be better to keep quiet on the matter since CRT's page on the subject says,".....Our boater bins are for general domestic waste, such as food waste and non-recyclable packaging. Where there is space, we also provide a recycling bin option.Unfortunately we are unable to take the following items: gas containers, oil or oil and water mix, old empty oil containers, waste from boat refurbishments, vegetation or timber, and waste from separator toilets. Leaving these items here considerably increases costs to the Trust, so please take them to your nearest local dedicated council site or tip.....". So essentially what they are saying is that if the item should be taken to the local tip, then do so.....except that the tips are increasingly not letting you in!

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

So essentially what they are saying is that if the item should be taken to the local tip, then do so.....except that the tips are increasingly not letting you in!

We stopped at a bridge on the Middlewich Branch earlier this year to retrieve a flytipped ceramic sink.

Took it to Middlewich recycling centre (who have an agreement with CRT to allow boater walk-ins) and they wanted to charge me a fiver to take it.

It got chucked in the bins at Anderton!

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

We stopped at a bridge on the Middlewich Branch earlier this year to retrieve a flytipped ceramic sink.

Took it to Middlewich recycling centre (who have an agreement with CRT to allow boater walk-ins) and they wanted to charge me a fiver to take it.

It got chucked in the bins at Anderton!

Once again that sounds like the possible work of a boater. I've also used the Middlewich recycling centre (alongside the canal) which is one of the few where you are allowed pedestrian access (we were getting rid of waste oil). The trouble is that you were doing a good deed in clearing up flytipped rubbish and then you get penalised for it (which is exactly why I didn't collect the abandoned fridge). You either have to pay the Middlewich recycling centre to accept it, or dump it at Anderton, whish is essentially fly tipping it again since the bins aren't for that kind of stuff (see above).

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

You either have to pay the Middlewich recycling centre to accept it, or dump it at Anderton, whish is essentially fly tipping it again since the bins aren't for that kind of stuff (see above).

I agree, but having saved CRT sending an operative out to collect it I was quite happy to let them pay for disposal of a few kilos of inert waste. 

Definitely a boater, it was an accommodation bridge miles from anywhere and chucked on the offside.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

I agree, but having saved CRT sending an operative out to collect it I was quite happy to let them pay for disposal of a few kilos of inert waste. 

Definitely a boater, it was an accommodation bridge miles from anywhere and chucked on the offside.

You think they'd send out an operative to recover it from the offside?:unsure: The 'economic' approach would be to push it off the sacrificial strip and it's then the landowner's problem/expense. Farmer's are regularly getting screwed for disposal of fly-tipping on their land and the problem is just getting bigger.

I do find it a shame when a boater shows such lack of appreciation for the system. They dump crap on the towpath assuming the 'waste fairy' will be along to collect it, then some oik throws it in the canal and they complain about obstructions and lack of maintenance.

24 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

How long ago was that? It might be better to keep quiet on the matter since CRT's page on the subject says,".....Our boater bins are for general domestic waste, such as food waste and non-recyclable packaging. Where there is space, we also provide a recycling bin option.Unfortunately we are unable to take the following items: gas containers, oil or oil and water mix, old empty oil containers, waste from boat refurbishments, vegetation or timber, and waste from separator toilets. Leaving these items here considerably increases costs to the Trust, so please take them to your nearest local dedicated council site or tip.....". So essentially what they are saying is that if the item should be taken to the local tip, then do so.....except that the tips are increasingly not letting you in!

Hey ho!!