Anyone passing Barrowford Locks?

LadyG

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought you were heading for the Lancaster before the breach stopped you - it's supposed to open again soon.

Please give us a heads up to which direction she’s heading if you can, would be good if she went Lancaster???

5 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

MZ 250 clutch drum fits on a taper on the crankshaft with no keyway.

There have only been a few incidents reported of the clutch drum slipping.

My old VW camper used tapered splines to hold the drop arm onto the steering box (Belt and Braces engineering from the Germans). I confirm that things with a taper really do not come apart easily 😀. The taper on the Stanadyne injection pump is a doddle compared to the VW steering box.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, LadyG said:

Hip hip hooray. 

Four months, four days and there is a new rudder, new boss, essentially something that looks like a professional job

I don't understand, engineering wise why a taper to top of tiller stock is strong, but I have faith. 

Cat has crossed his paws, he's not black, but otherwise lucky. 🍀

Im pleased to hear it and that you will soon be on your way again! 

So, do you have some positive recommendations for the people at Lower Park who worked on your boat? 

11 hours ago, dmr said:

My old VW camper used tapered splines to hold the drop arm onto the steering box (Belt and Braces engineering from the Germans). I confirm that things with a taper really do not come apart easily 😀. The taper on the Stanadyne injection pump is a doddle compared to the VW steering box.

All tthe old vehicles with steering boxes had tapered splined drop shafts, can't remember any that didn't.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

and did they not make a hell of a bang when they released.

Indeed they did.  I remember getting a rear hub off a M2 Jaguar, semi floating axle. on taper with single key. I had my large puller on it, tightened up hard, wouldn't shift. I gave the puller bolt a whack with a small sledge hammer, BANG it flew off, hit and broke a panel in my garage door, good job I was standing aside when I whacked it.

• Horror 1

13 hours ago, Ianws said:

I've picked up  mooring spaces for cc are limited on the Lancaster, especially when locals are out cruising in summer. Not my canal. Perhaps locals can advise. 

We spent two months continuous cruising on the Lancaster, we never had a problem finding a mooring.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

All tthe old vehicles with steering boxes had tapered splined drop shafts, can't remember any that didn't.

And the bloody original transverse A series flywheels.  Can't remember if they had a keyway though. Once left a mini 850 engine hanging from the puller (which was bowsed up as  tight as we could get it), then went for lunch.  Still hanging there when we came back!

N

45 minutes ago, BEngo said:

And the bloody original transverse A series flywheels.  Can't remember if they had a keyway though. Once left a mini 850 engine hanging from the puller (which was bowsed up as  tight as we could get it), then went for lunch.  Still hanging there when we came back!

N

They were on a taper and locked into a sort of slot and dog washer and bolt.

42 minutes ago, Bod said:

We're thinking of the Lancaster this year, how long a gank plank would you advise?

Bod

When we cruised the Lancaster on our little Sea Otter, we didn't have a problem and I can't remember needing the gangplank but when we did it on a 58 foot NB we found it was generally not much of a problem in the main mooring area but trying to moor out in the sticks was a different matter. This included near recognised mooring area when we tried to moor up if they were full. We always managed though and our gang plank was an ex scaffolding plank. Not sure how long it was 😃

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

N

Been there done that.

From memory they were slotted on the crankshaft side which mated with a corresponding ridge on the crankshaft end.

(I'd have to get my 40 year old Haynes manual out to check!)

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What'll that be ?

Guess about 12-15 feet allowing for a good overlap onto the bank and the boat ?

Just checked with the boss and he says our plank was 7 feet long - there was hardly any overlap. I do remember the crossing was quite precarious and there were definitely no pub visits while we were moored there!

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Ange said:

Just checked with the boss and he says our plank was 7 feet long - there was hardly any overlap. I do remember the crossing was quite precarious and there were definitely no pub visits while we were moored there!

Been there - done that.

Plank just resting on gunwale and bank - boat moves - gangplank drops - get wet.

I made sure that the next plank was long enough to have a 'good' overlap.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Been there - done that.

Plank just resting on gunwale and bank - boat moves - gangplank drops - get wet.

Or you go out for the day and then post on Facebook someone stole my plank as it floated away.

45 minutes ago, Ange said:

I bet Millie didn't like it!   I dont remember any wobbly planks to deliver jigsaw puzzles so that must be when you moored at Galgate. Good Days! 

....edit to add, dont forget if you want to relive the days, Cair Paravel is yours for however long, Dave can drive, you can just sit. x

Edited by Chagall
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Been there - done that.

We have a rope attached to one end of the plank, which can be tied either to the boat or to a mooring pin, so you don't lose the plank completely in such a situation.