Anyone passing Barrowford Locks?

LadyG

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I've not had to use one so far but have wondered what it would be like if  someone decided to take your plank for a walk. Particularly thinking about it in terms of the ramp for my elderly dog.

We have a folding 'Dog ramp' which is wider and more stable than a 'scaffold board' Its about 5 feet long and does most areas where you can get close to the side.

Not particularly expensive.

Portable Lightweight Non-Slip Design Folding Dog Car Ramp with Carry Handle 5059331188388 | eBay

91Ayntbf7BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've got something similar. We have a 14 year old rescue whippet  who can't just hop on and off. I'm a bit worried that,  if we are moored to far out from the towpath to store it back on onboard, it might be gone when we get back. And you can't leave it sticking out across the towpath. Okay if I'm moored close in but not if its many feet out. I suppose that also applies to a gang plank. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Just giving this a bump, to thank all those who helped, forumites who moved me from a rough area to services, then again to Lower Park Marina, a very tough trip indeed. 

Initially I could not get the boat moved to the marina, so tried repair on site, in deep water, this was difficult as we could not forsee the problem which later became evident when the boat came out. 

@Chagall and @The Biscuits came to the rescue and the boat got to the Marina.

As the existing rudder and tiller was a bodge, the whole thing was re designed, the boat hauled out and chocked for the day. Fitting the new rudder involved more angle iron engineering, welding and so on. Thanks to both Waynes, job done. 

In the interim I had another visit to A&E, overnight on drips, X rays, crutches. All in all a memorable winter. 🇬🇪

Lets hope the trip to the Lancaster canal is as memorable in a good way, and now you know your rudder at least will survive the crossing. 👍

7 hours ago, Chagall said:

Lets hope the trip to the Lancaster canal is as memorable in a good way, and now you know your rudder at least will survive the crossing. 👍

So wrong 😭

Edited by LadyG

Just now, haggis said:

That's an odd response to someone wishing you a good time on the Lancaster. 

No she deleted her post about buying a narrowboat to be on calm waters and see her last few years out.

Not quite sure if thats a 'follow on' or 'a preamble' to the post a week or so ago about selling up and going back on land as its been too difficult on the canals.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No she deleted her post about buying a narrowboat to be on calm waters and see her last few years out.

Not quite sure if thats a 'follow on' or 'a preamble' to the post a week or so ago about selling up and going back on land as its been too difficult on the canals.

I know the trent can be interesting but the Ribble link I thought was relatively easy but laborious with the time spent at the tiller on full power! Also if something goes wrong nowhere to go I heard? Think I will stick to the trent 

7 hours ago, haggis said:

That's an odd response to someone wishing you a good time on the Lancaster. 

For some reason I was unable to delete part of a longer sentence, so, I had to leave it, some sort of bug, I was rambling on a bit and tried to edit it, but system sized up

sorry

Edited by LadyG

On 18/03/2022 at 18:15, ditchcrawler said:

Same here and I am not looking forward to getting off to change the top bearing 

Same here, mine has been sitting there for 16 years so I settled in mentally prepared for a day of frustration and wondering who I knew with a hydraulic puller... then I figured a cold chisel to drive in as a wedge under it would be the thing and first whack with a lump hammer it came free. :thumbsup:

Edited by Slow and Steady

15 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Same here, mine has been sitting there for 16 years so I settled in mentally prepared for a day of frustration and wondering who I knew with a hydraulic puller... then I figured a cold chisel to drive in as a wedge under it would be the thing and first whack with a lump hammer it came free. :thumbsup:

This is the mark1 the bolts are too short, so no room to get something on top of the shaft, next trip they will be 50mm longer

SmallDSCF6272.jpg

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is the mark1 the bolts are too short, so no room to get something on top of the shaft, next trip they will be 50mm longer

SmallDSCF6272.jpg

Like it! Get some pressure on and give it a whack on the side to shock it off? Hopefully you'll find it almost falls off as you tighten your clamp, I was pleasantly surprised by how easily mine did - shocked actually!

The gap between the bearing housing and the tiller on mine is only about 10mm so the cold chisel wedge thing was easy.

16 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Like it! Get some pressure on and give it a whack on the side to shock it off? Hopefully you'll find it almost falls off as you tighten your clamp, I was pleasantly surprised by how easily mine did - shocked actually!

The gap between the bearing housing and the tiller on mine is only about 10mm so the cold chisel wedge thing was easy.

Thats the plan

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to give a shout for Craftinsure too, my survey expired, couldn't get to dry dock last year, gave them a call and they still insured me for another year, extra £60. 

I'm on my way to Castleford Boatyard now, for a survey and epoxy blacking, job sorted. 

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

I'd like to give a shout for Craftinsure too, my survey expired, couldn't get to dry dock last year, gave them a call and they still insured me for another year, extra £60. 

I'm on my way to Castleford Boatyard now, for a survey and epoxy blacking, job sorted. 

I did that a couple of years ago.  Last year I didn't need to because their current policy is they only require a survey every seven years if the boat has been continuously insured with them.

It used to be five years, which is why I had to pay a waiver for year six but it changed during that year.

I eventually managed to get docked and surveyed last year so it's all sorted again.

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

I think they are my forever insurance, they are cheap, they cough up, they don't argue, they are backed by Zurich, so not one guy sitting in his bedroom. 

What excess do they charge now if you don't mind me asking as I'm due to renew end of this month. Thanks