Anyone passing Barrowford Locks?

LadyG

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Errrrrrrr..

You have to be in the correct position to see through the tunnel. 

That photo was taken very shortly before the lights went green.

Both these statements are the truth and nothing but the truth.  Whether they are also the whole truth is left as an exercise for the reader ...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You have to be in the correct position to see through the tunnel. 

That photo was taken very shortly before the lights went green.

Both these statements are the truth and nothing but the truth.  Whether they are also the whole truth is left as an exercise for the reader ...

We once approached from the other end with the lights on green and immediately noticed a tunnel light coming the other way, it was well inside the tunnel. When I turned our engine off I could hear a boat coming too.

When it finally emerged it was a ruddy CRT work boat.

27 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We once approached from the other end with the lights on green and immediately noticed a tunnel light coming the other way, it was well inside the tunnel. When I turned our engine off I could hear a boat coming too.

When it finally emerged it was a ruddy CRT work boat.

When we approached the tunnel we were a bit early so switched off the engine. This was fortunate as without our engine we could hear an engine in the tunnel but couldn't see any lights.  Well after the lights had turned to green a boat emerged . He had obviously gone in on the red and didn't have a tunnel light.  W were very glad we had arrived early! 

haggis

• Horror 1

1 minute ago, Chagall said:

Glad you are okay, I tried to send a message to check but it wouldn't go...I'll pop over in the morning to make sure all is well. 

Oh, that's great, everything fine tx, what a relief to get moving again, quite a marathon I think you'll agree 🎉

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Oh, that's great, everything fine tx, what a relief to get moving again, quite a marathon I think you'll agree 🎉

The boat will be repaired soon enough no doubt, but are you not still caught up in stoppages?

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

The boat will be repaired soon enough no doubt, but are you not still caught up in stoppages?

Indeed I am, I suspect I will be the only boat here attempting to cc over a length of about three miles and two fully functioning sanitary stations. 😆

I may not be up to speed, difficult to keep track, it's called fantasy travel by narrowboat. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Indeed I am, I suspect I will be the only boat here attempting to cc over a length of about three miles and two fully functioning sanitary stations. 😆

I may not be up to speed, difficult to keep track, it's called fantasy travel. 

Choose the best place and stay there, its not your fault Jo

• Happy 1

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

I may not be up to speed, difficult to keep track, it's called fantasy travel by narrowboat. 

But what a lovely 3 mile stretch to be restricted to. 
Enjoy 👍

• Greenie 1

Good news indeed. Once the rudder is fixed Lady G will have some good options. Gargrave is a very nice stop with shops and services. Based on past experiences of other boaters I know C&RT Yorkshire will be a bit more accommodating than North West seems to have been. 

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Good news indeed. Once the rudder is fixed Lady G will have some good options. Gargrave is a very nice stop with shops and services. Based on past experiences of other boaters I know C&RT Yorkshire will be a bit more accommodating than North West seems to have been. 

I think North West cover the Leeds & Liverpool all the way to Leeds. Stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I think North West cover the Leeds & Liverpool all the way to Leeds. Stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

You're wrong ...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/north-west

You'll need to click on the "View Map" tab to see it though.  Greenberfield Bottom lock is the split on the L&L between North West and Yorkshire & North East regions.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit
  • Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Greenberfield would be my choice although you'd probably have to squat on a long term mooring to be near the services. Is the little cafe/cabin still open ? Always nice to get a bacon butty when at the locks  

Lock Stop cafe was closed last winter but reopened in spring. I think it might be the same this winter. There's always Esse - open all year or for bigger nosh, the Rolls Royce club.