Anyone passing Barrowford Locks?

LadyG

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'll call you out as a twit because the vowel alternative is banned in here.

This was her rudder and rudder post six weeks ago when some of us first got involved:

IMG_20211119_143540602.jpg.3d016ccb5e8cb12a2f4dfffcfe6c86a4.jpgIMG_20211119_143531722.jpg.9826940a34e7016fb04c5a5791f98804.jpg

AT LONG LAST we can see the full extent of the problem!

IF photos had been available at the beginning, then viable methods of repair could have been given. 

Non of the upset need have been caused to any party.  Both here, and the "other place".

Certainly now the parts are all on the bench, it's just a case of removing the Swans neck, from the remains of the rudder shaft.  Which will allow correct assembly, without the need for craning out.

Bod

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

This was her rudder and rudder post six weeks ago when some of us first got involved:

IMG_20211119_143540602.jpg.3d016ccb5e8cb12a2f4dfffcfe6c86a4.jpgIMG_20211119_143531722.jpg.9826940a34e7016fb04c5a5791f98804.jpg

Maybe we should have been made aware of the full circumstances 6 weeks ago instead of letting the thread continue speculating and using her previous episodes as examples of her problems. Maybe the people who had the information but didn't offer constructive comments at the time should also be nominated for your vowel alternative. If the cap fits .......

23 minutes ago, Bod said:

AT LONG LAST we can see the full extent of the problem!

IF photos had been available at the beginning, then viable methods of repair could have been given. 

Non of the upset need have been caused to any party.  Both here, and the "other place".

Certainly now the parts are all on the bench, it's just a case of removing the Swans neck, from the remains of the rudder shaft.  Which will allow correct assembly, without the need for craning out.

Bod

Thank you BOD

My thread on here is not asking for suggestions, I have an engineer, and a welder, plus other assistance on site. 

If it were a simple job it would have been done.

It's not been easy as you suggest. 

As  things stand, I am waiting for some assistance on site, in water, this weekend, so no tow required this week. 

HNY all

On 12/11/2021 at 13:42, Tony Brooks said:

According to the other place it has been professionally diagnosed as needing the boat to come out so a tow is required.

It seems the rudder got suck in the lock gate mitre.

There have been other views on the method of repair, currently we are trying to replace the rudder and rudder stock, whatever happens, the boat will be moved to a better location. There are no boats moving along the canal, so getting a tow through a wide tunnel has so far proved impossible. 

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Maybe we should have been made aware of the full circumstances 6 weeks ago instead of letting the thread continue speculating and using her previous episodes as examples of her problems. Maybe the people who had the information but didn't offer constructive comments at the time should also be nominated for your vowel alternative. If the cap fits .......

Sorry, I opened this thread in order to contact someone who has a boat which can tow me. 

The wild and various suggestions on TB, were sifted, but the aggression by Dunkley led to me closing my account there. I am not having people talking to me like that. 

5 hours ago, Ange said:

I have a feeling Middlesbrough to Barrowsford might have been a bit of a stretch but fortunately for Mr G we'll never know for sure. He can bask in good intentions untried 🙂

Well for the purposes of being completely open the travel wouldn't have been the 'stretch' you suggest. I have reason to visit Leeds in the not too distant future so my thinking was to combine both trips. Barrowford after all is closer to Leeds than it is East Cleveland (not Middlesbrough) where I live.

Living in the North East one doesn't get much chance to assist another boater without a fairly extensive trip so this would have been an ideal opportunity. 

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Spooling error

Looking at those photos it's difficult to understand why this is a long running saga (from a technical point of view at least). My mate Big Jimmy had exactly the same problem. It was fixed by Dean from Mirfield Boats removed and replaced in the water at Brighouse within two days. It has to be said that despite TD's hostile nature he did offer exactly the right solution which if followed would have resolved the problem and Lady G could have been on her merry way weeks/months ago.

Hmmm only as far as Gargrave though but there are facilities near the town moorings and I'm sure C&RT would have given permission to overstay in the circumstances.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Looking at those photos it's difficult to understand why this is a long running saga (from a technical point of view at least). My mate Big Jimmy had exactly the same problem. It was fixed by Dean from Mirfield Boats removed and replaced in the water at Brighouse within two days. It has to be said that despite TD's hostile nature he did offer exactly the right solution which if followed would have resolved the problem and Lady G could have been on her merry way weeks/months ago.

Hmmm only as far as Gargrave though but there are facilities near the town moorings and I'm sure C&RT would have given permission to overstay in the circumstances.

I don't mind people making suggestions here, even if they are impossible, but I know what I am capable of, and that does not include draining pounds, floundering about in mud, welding and manhandling a rudder.

I agree that only a few hours work to get to where we are now, but I am reliant on the locals to do the necessary, and if they take weeks over the work, there is nothing I can do about it, they have other things to do, no doubt. 

Some good Blokes from this forum quickly moved the boat to a safe place with services, and repairs were initiated. It has taken weeks not days, but there is no point in getting hot and bothered, ringing up to find out why I am not a priority. 

No one has lost out on mooring fees, for those who seem to think this was my plan. This stretch of the canal is isolated from the main L&L by long term stoppages, I think I was the last one through one lock before the area was closed, the walls were bulging that day, I assumed it was not as dangerous as it looked, I was wrong 😑

Edited by LadyG

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

That fracture face suggests there was a historic crack through almost half of the bar prior to the fatal blow, which was therefore probably inevitable at some point. The previous damage may well have occurred prior to Lady G buying the boat.

• Happy 1

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't mind people making suggestions here, even if they are impossible, but I know what I am capable of, and that does not include draining pounds, floundering about in mud, welding and manhandling a rudder.

I agree that only a few hours work to get to where we are now, but I am reliant on the locals to do the necessary, and if they take weeks over the work, there is nothing I can do about it, they have other things to do, no doubt. 

Some good Blokes from this forum quickly moved the boat to a safe place with services, and repairs were initiated. It has taken weeks not days, but there is no point in getting hot and bothered, ringing up to find out why I am not a priority. 

No one has lost out on mooring fees, for those who seem to think this was my plan. This stretch of the canal is isolated from the main L&L by long term stoppages, I think I was the last one through one lock before the area was closed, the walls were bulging that day, I assumed it was not as dangerous as it looked, I was wrong 😑

There is no need to drain pounds or flounder in mud and water. Big Jimmy's rudder was removed and replaced using rope. If you don't get sorted at the weekend Dean's boat is currently at Skipton and Mirfield is only an hour away. As for the free mooring stuff I don't subscribe to that theory at all. Afterall you can't get far trapped between two major stoppages and I'm sure C&RT would be fine with overstaying anywhere along there. I just think Gargrave is a better option than where you are now. Good luck.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

There is no need to drain pounds or flounder in mud and water. Big Jimmy's rudder was removed and replaced using rope. If you don't get sorted at the weekend Dean's boat is currently at Skipton and Mirfield is only an hour away. As for the free mooring stuff I don't subscribe to that theory at all. Afterall you can't get far trapped between two major stoppages and I'm sure C&RT would be fine with overstaying anywhere along there. I just think Gargrave is a better option than where you are now. Good luck.

I don't think the CRT NW are in the least bit flexible, unlike other staff elsewhere they don't cut wood for boaters, no they cut it up nicely for themselves, leave it on their boat and pick it up at the weekend! 

When one asks for an overstay one has to give a reason, I don't think "there is only 20 miles of water to shuffle up and down" would stand up to scrutiny. I am confident that " no steering gear" is the way to go. 

I cannot move unaided through Foulridge. No boats are moving on this canal because of winter and the stoppages, so no tow has been available. 

Once the boat is working again I can look forward to a bit of cruising, I'm not making any plans because the L. & L seems to be the most unreliable canal one can imagine. To be frank, I have found it to be badly in need of significant investment, not to mention regular minor maintenance.

Using untreated wood for handrails and walkways (10%cost saving), no wonder half the walkways are now rotting, repairing canal sides with reinforced concrete which has not been made up to standard so that the concrete  just crumbles within a few years, exposing the bar which then rusts, expands, etc etc.

I used to sign off building grants etc, there was never any problem as the grant was paid to the interested person, he did not want his concrete yards breaking up in three years time, so he  supervised the work, every day, every load was logged. Any attempt to skimp by the contractor would have been spotted by the landowner, in five years, I never had to have the concrete mix tested, but I would have done if in doubt. All the timber was tanalised, whether grant aided or not, its a no brainer. 

I would point these things out to the "management" by email, but they appear to be happy to remain both anonymous and invisible, behind a wall of call centre employees. Standard practice in all UK industry, all that happens is that no one takes ownership or responsibility for anything. 

Outsource anything that might impinge on H&S to someone else. Get rid of people with experience so that changes can be made willy nilly, cut costs, cut corners, get the pension fund topped up, move on. 

Oh, and re - brand every five or ten years depending on the tenure of the chairman 🎉

Blue is well known for giving confidence, whereas B&W, well that's 1950 TV! 

Edited by LadyG

26 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't think the CRT NW are in the least bit flexible, unlike other staff elsewhere they don't cut wood for boaters, no they cut it up nicely for themselves! 

When one asks for an overstay one has to give a reason, I don't think "there is only 20 miles of water to shuffle up and down" would stand up to scrutiny. 

I am confident that " no steering gear" is the way to go. 👍

I cannot move unaided through Foulridge. 

No boats are moving on this canal because of winter and the stoppages, so no tow has been available. 

So just to be clear and to avoid wasting time are saying you don't want the problem solved so you can stay at the services at the top of Barrowford locks?

Edited by Midnight

4 minutes ago, Midnight said:

So just to be clear and to avoid wasting time are saying you don't want the problem solved so you can stay at the services at the top of Barrowford locks?

That thought had occurred to me a while ago... lets hope it gets fixed soon. 

So, exactly what is the problem if LG is staying by the services block? It's not as if she is restricting access to passing boats, hogging the waterpoint etc. If she can't move she can't move to drop off shit and pick up water. It's a perfectly sensible move apart from giving opportunity for po faced pedants to be picky. 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

So, exactly what is the problem if LG is staying by the services block? It's not as if she is restricting access to passing boats, hogging the waterpoint etc. If she can't move she can't move to drop off shit and pick up water. It's a perfectly sensible move apart from giving opportunity for po faced pedants to be picky. 

I'd say more that it was a 'happy accident' .....especially as those pesky C&RT wood cutters "cut it up nicely for themselves"  

48 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Obviously not. If you read my post rather than nit picking you would be aware that I was responding to your post which suggested that the CRT would allow overstaying due to there being nowhere exciting to go. 

I think anyone who read my posts would be aware that I have done as much as I can to get the boat moving. I don't need to justify my every action, if I had the skills, the knowledge, the facilties, the equipment etc etc I could have done the job myself, but I am not a welder, I have no tow boat, no tools, no workforce, no crane, I am reliant on others. The professionals. 

Edited by LadyG

26 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I'd say more that it was a 'happy accident' .....especially as those pesky C&RT wood cutters "cut it up nicely for themselves"  

I did not break down here, the boat was hauled by some proper boaters (forumites) to this safe location because where I broke down had no services, and was a target for the thieves and vandals. 

I need food, I need fuel, I need water, rubbish disposal, sewerage, just the same as everybody else in the UK.

I don't know why so many people think I am doing this deliberately to avoid moving, if they want to complain to the CRT, please do so, just don't bother me, I have enough to worry about. 🙄

Edited by LadyG

Like I say... a 'happy accident'  even if the fault in the rudder was waiting for such a moment as you catching it in the lock gates, and Im pleased members of the forum got you to where you are, but please dont grumble about the selfishness of C&RT or others who offered immediate help.   

it is (apparently) amazing how many folks work out the closures and travel to ensure they are stuck between two closure for many weeks, some have even complained that they have not been able to get where they want because C&RT have started the work early and the closure has happened before they got there.

• Greenie 3

27 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Like I say... a 'happy accident'  even if the fault in the rudder was waiting for such a moment as you catching it in the lock gates, and Im pleased members of the forum got you to where you are, but please dont grumble about the selfishness of C&RT or others who offered immediate help.   

I'm not grumbling about those who helped, you've read that wrong.

My general moan about the CRT is based on observations, frankly the infrastructure is in a very poor way, general maintenance is haphazard. 

Take the place I am at the moment, the concrete edge at this mooring is made of substandard concrete, its very obvious, it is sand coloured, not enough cement, did no one bother to inspect it before paying for it? Its crumbling. 

When I arrived here in mid November, a repair to the towpath was underway, all perfect, except they never came back after rolling the substrate to re-lay the concrete, so just 3/4 of the job done properly and then abandoned leaving two barriers and a warning triangle. The metal barriers blew over and became a trip hazard, they might well have ended up in the canal if I had not moved them. The sign blew over. 

I know it's a complex and difficult infrastructure, but those in charge get well paid (up to £200,000 pa) and they don't even seem to understand the basics of maintenance or the consequences of lack of maintenance. One day someone is going to have a bad accident and put in a claim for damages, likely to cost millions, put up insurance premium, and so on. This is what I mean, they don't seem to have grasped the importance of doing each job properly. 

The reason I moan on this public forum is because there is no direct method of communicating with those who should be managing the structures. I have no faith in the call centre facility, what do I do, leave a message to be passed on that the repairs done a few years ago are deteriorating, they should be aware of that, it's called looking around, it's called quality control. 

Edited by LadyG

I'm glad you're in sight of a remedy and things are moving forward. Ignore the cynical about over staying. No doubt the regional support officer is aware and not overly concerned. There are far worse constant moorers nearby, probably well known to CRT. In a way you are lucky you've chosen one they don't hang around, though you miss out on 'community' 😏

A lot of licensees and members may agree with your comments on investment needed on L&L and 'levelling up', but I would suggest you report it all in writing. It helps sway investment decisions. Many have and, despite your impressions noted elsewhere, much has been done to improve it. The tree works last winter have transformed the section around Burnley to the point where it actually feels like a wide canal again. So much more is needed, especially getting fallen masonry out of the canal, which probably gets lower priority because of all the other stuff they're constantly removing.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I'm not grumbling about those who helped, you've read that wrong.

My general moan about the CRT is based on observations, frankly the infrastructure is in a very poor way, general maintenance is haphazard. 

Take the place I am at the moment, the concrete edge at this mooring is made of substandard concrete, its very obvious, it is sand coloured, not enough cement, did no one bother to inspect it before paying for it? Its crumbling. 

When I arrived here in mid November, a repair to the towpath was underway, all perfect, except they never came back after rolling the substrate to re-lay the concrete, so just 3/4 of the job done properly and then abandoned. 

I know it's a complex and difficult infrastructure, but those in charge get paid (up to £200,000 pa) and they don't seem to understand the basics of maintenance or the consequences of lack of maintenance. One day someone is going to have a bad accident and put in a claim for damages, likely to cost millions, put up insurance premium, and so on. This is what I mean, they don't seem to have grasped he importance of doing the job properly. 

No, I didn't  "read that wrong" you often complain about C&RT when you are moored on their services time and time again, even if stoppages dictate limited movement, but still you seem to expect privileges. You, and admittedly many others, wont pay for a winter mooring which might bring much needed funds.  I suggested you might stop complaining and at the same time to stop complaining that you dont get the help you want.   People have offered it but it was refused.  Fair enough, your choice but maybe stop bitching and naming. Turns out those folk may have been right.