Anyone passing Barrowford Locks?

LadyG

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm sure it is easier with two people, perfect weather and so on, but my pole barely touches the bottom. 

omg, I can just see it now !!!!!!!! 

Find the spirit!  ...I have a long pole.  (Aluminium, just to remove the possibility of a double entendre)

Its full sun forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday.

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm really not convinced this would work, a nice summer adventure it may be, but not so appealing at the moment. 

Oh Drat!   Ah well the offer is there till 12 midnight ...after which it will spontaneously self destruct. 

I watch way too much Netflix! 

Edited by Chagall
enough already
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Oh Drat!   Ah well the offer is there till 12 midnight ...after which it will spontaneously self destruct. 

Make it next weekend and I will play out.  I reckon I can refit the rudder and bodge a temporary tiller well enough to get to the boatyard.

If it goes wonky in the tunnel, somebody who can help steer the bow with a long shaft would be useful!

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Make it next weekend and I will play out.  I reckon I can refit the rudder and bodge a temporary tiller well enough to get to the boatyard.

If it goes wonky in the tunnel, somebody who can help steer the bow with a long shaft would be useful!

You're on!   Im working Saturday though, Sunday and Monday is available.  Over to you LG? 

• Greenie 1

Stop stop stop, I have to co ordinate with the marina this week, and I may possibly have found a volunteer with a boat, I am girding my loins to speak to them, crossing my fingers and toes that they actually offered, it was all a bit casually mentioned, I need to focus, and get the weather forecast, sorted for mid week. 

Edited by LadyG

Tie a long long legnth of string to a Swans neck and dispatch it through the tunnel with instruction to keep pulling it and to tie it off to something stout at the other end . To the free end of the string tie a long long rope with tother end tied to the boats bow end. Aim the boat at the tunnel mouth and leap off. Trot over the top of the tunnel to the other end, find the string tied off by the swan. Kkkkkeep pulling it until the rope pops out of the tunnel, grasp hold of it and heave like anything pulling the boat through. When the boat arrives coil up the string and rope, Humbly thank the swan and jump on, all WITHOUT you goin in the tunnel at all, ''how good would that be''. The boat could be sailed to the tunnel mouth by a jury rig,ie following wind, with a bit of wood as temporary rudder.  Boat pole shoved down the chimney to hold it upright with a blanket or table cloth on it as a sail. and on from the tunnel to the boat yard.      All solved.

Edited by bizzard

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

You may be fit enough to pole for four or five miles with a very short pole, with no rudder of course,

I wouldn't do it in one hit... split it into manageable lengths.  50 yards at time if you wanted it doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

It's a big fcn boat., about 17 tonnes.

17 tonnes is not 17 tonnes when you pull it through the water. Grab hold of a mooring line and pull, does the boat move? Think you can do that on land?

17 tonnes ain't a big boat.

Look, in not having a go, I suppose I'm trying so say when needs must there are always options, you just need to think of them... 6 months back I drove a van back from the south of France with no clutch pedal... I took my time, drove at night balanced the revs to nudge it up and down the gearbox... got home 18 hours later than I would have and saved a fortune in recover costs.

Edit:

A good few years ago helped a friend rescue his boat, the morse had collapsed, wouldn't select gear or rev engine.  We lifted an engine bay board, kicked the gearbox into drive, tied a boot lace to the throttle and pulled that to increase revs... drove the boat for 2 days like that.

Edited by Quattrodave

43 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

I think you meant to say, “ thank you very much for your kind offer of help, I will speak to the marina to ensure they have a space for me and I think I may have had an additional offer of help locally so I will look into that more closely and get back to you. I wouldn’t want to put you to any trouble needlessly. “

I think you have unrealistic expectations - why change the habit of a lifetime ?

2 hours ago, Chagall said:

You're on!   Im working Saturday though, Sunday and Monday is available.  Over to you LG? 

I'll see you on Sunday.

PM sent.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I can do Monday 10th onwards. 

Thanks Martin.  Offer very much appreciated by myself and by @LadyG but it's a day later than the rest of us can attend.

If we don't get as far as we need next weekend I'll be in touch.

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

Thanks all above, back to plan B, ie stay put for a few days, guys will turn up at the weekend, assess situation, make good on site repairs, and relocate to marina, where final repairs can be done, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks all. 

52 minutes ago, Ianws said:

@LadyG 3 offers of help from genuine members here. If I was in your predicament I'd be biting their hands off and PM them to arrange something.

Just so :)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Thanks all above, back to plan B, ie stay put for a few days, guys will turn up at the weekend, assess situation, make good on site repairs, and relocate to marina, where final repairs can be done, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks all. 

You are very welcome Jo.

Ignore the grumpys on here, the real boaters will look after each other.

Even if some of them are the grumpys ...

• Happy 2

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Great.

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

😀

1 minute ago, Ex Brummie said:

Just like the last 2 winters, she's got carte blanche to stay put right by the services. Marina facilities at nil cost. Leave boating for the summer.

I'll call you out as a twit because the vowel alternative is banned in here.

This was her rudder and rudder post six weeks ago when some of us first got involved:

IMG_20211119_143540602.jpg.3d016ccb5e8cb12a2f4dfffcfe6c86a4.jpgIMG_20211119_143531722.jpg.9826940a34e7016fb04c5a5791f98804.jpg

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Your account can't receive PMs from me for some reason.  I tried to send you one but it didn't go through.

Please PM me your email or mobile number so I can arrange timings for next weekend.

I've just got off the phone with her.  One or more forumites will be involved next weekend, and she will end up better off than she is currently.

That's excellent news - well done you 😊

Edited by Ange

I look forward to photos of Chagall helping Lady G - I'm proud of the sisterhood.

I have a feeling Middlesbrough to Barrowsford might have been a bit of a stretch but fortunately for Mr G we'll never know for sure. He can bask in good intentions untried 🙂

Edited by Ange

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

This was her rudder and rudder post six weeks ago when some of us first got involved:

IMG_20211119_143540602.jpg.3d016ccb5e8cb12a2f4dfffcfe6c86a4.jpgIMG_20211119_143531722.jpg.9826940a34e7016fb04c5a5791f98804.jpg

Yes that was 6 weeks ago and bugger all else has happened since 🙄

Hopefully by the weekend it will be shifted to the marina and fixed then the Lady can be on her way again. 

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

If that’s what the damage/problem is, it should be entirely possible to make a permanent repair on site and with the boat still in the water.  All that’s required are a couple of weld on flanges (obtainable from industrial pipe supplies) and the usual welding equipment.  One flange is welded to the top of the rudder blade and the other to the broken off section of bar/post.  To fit, the post piece is threaded up through the counter and then the blade slotted into place and bolted up.  A solid and permanent repair, all carried out through the weed hatch.

For clarity, for some reason the photo is inverted, it’s not like that in my album and I don’t know how to correct it.
C102C2DC-12DD-4584-8501-94D197F2F76D.jpeg.d8d7754f692f06fc337df37880603323.jpeg

813646C0-5C03-44F9-89F0-683ECEFC0B90.jpeg

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, MtB said:

image.png.d75868c8b77c2526b791be7d7e32656e.png

image.png.d95b61841c9560fcebe7e2dd91325d67.png

Very nice repair, thanks for the pics.

Thanks for correcting those.  The repairs wouldn’t be a problem but trying to correct those images was another matter (I have tried).

That work is some I did around ten years ago, so it’s proven it’s reliability.  Out of interest, I also “adapted “ and fitted the skeg, I’m sure the eagle-eyed will recognise what I made it from.