Anyone passing Barrowford Locks?

LadyG

Featured Posts

Major problem, steering broken, so I need to go North, ie towards Lower Park Marina. 

There is no other place to get the boat out, and it won't be happening until March when the crane is booked. 

Essentially, I need to moor up for the winter, with elsan and water as a minimum. 

Suggestions welcome, thanks. 

I think the services at top of Barrowford might be suitable, I think there are moorings up there. 

There are also Services just through Foulridge but I don't know about mooring. 

My present location is not suitable for the cat, a lot of heavy lorries use this road. 

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

Major problem, steering broken, so I need to go North, ie towards Lower Park Marina. 

There is no other place to get the boat out, and it won't be happening until March when the crane is booked. 

Essentially, I need to moor up for the winter, with elsan and water as a minimum. 

Suggestion welcome, thanks. 

Where are you currently Jo?

Rose Grove, Barrowford Top or Foulridge are your options Burnley side of Lower Park.  Greenberfield or Gargrave on the Skipton side.

Also, do you know what's wrong with your steering?  It might be fixable in the water, or there's a dry dock in Burnley.

31 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Where are you currently Jo?

Rose Grove, Barrowford Top or Foulridge are your options Burnley side of Lower Park.  Greenberfield or Gargrave on the Skipton side.

Also, do you know what's wrong with your steering?  It might be fixable in the water, or there's a dry dock in Burnley.

Hi, I'm at Lock 48, right on the road of the reservoir, I just need to go through the next set, number 45 gets me to the services, which has limited road access, I believe, but I think plenty of moorings. 

The dry Dock at Burnley is closed due to breaches etc.

Ive had the boat inspected, it has to come out, and the  only place is Lower Park, unless this goes through insurance, it won't be till February or March. 

Best case is that it is just a bolt which has sheared underwater, but it has to come out due to design. 

Edited by LadyG

Have you actually spoken to Bank Hall dry dock?  They are your side of the breach at Rishton.

Can you make a temporary tiller out of bits of wood that clamp either side of the rudder?  Or attach a G-clamp to the rudder and tie ropes to it for steering?

This won't give you the full range of steering but will be enough to get you through the tunnel to Foulridge and away from the heavy plant working on the reservoirs.

57 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Suggestions welcome, thanks. 

I think the services at top of Barrowford might be suitable, I think there are moorings up there. 

There are also Services just through Foulridge but I don't know about mooring. 

My present location is not suitable for the cat, a lot of heavy lorries use this road. 

One of your first posts (before your problems selling up in Scotland) was that you would only buy the perfect boat that would be reliable and needed nothing doing to it.

This boat has been jinxed since you got it - if you didn't have bad-luck you'd have no luck at all.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One of your first posts (before your problems selling up in Scotland) was that you would only buy the perfect boat that would be reliable and needed nothing doing to it.

This boat has been jinxed since you got it - if you didn't have bad-luck you'd have no luck at all.

I think most folk buying a boat would want it to be  perfect  and I am sure Jo bought the boat being aware of a few things she would like to change but basically the boat met her needs. Sadly,  several problems have arisen and Jo hasn't had the peaceful relaxing time she anticipated. However she strikes me as a resourceful person and I am sure she will overcome this set back.

Hopefully  she will get help to get her boat  to where she can get it fixed 

Haggis

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I think most folk buying a boat would want it to be  perfect  and I am sure Jo bought the boat being aware of a few things she would like to change but basically the boat met her needs. Sadly,  several problems have arisen and Jo hasn't had the peaceful relaxing time she anticipated. However she strikes me as a resourceful person and I am sure she will overcome this set back.

Hopefully  she will get help to get her boat  to where she can get it fixed 

Haggis

Way to go, I haven't really had major problems with this particular boat, I did expect to spend a £4k to bring it up to spec, where as in fact I should not have asked folks to update it, they were not suitable people,,,,,, 

True, I did not allow for having an accident, as over the years I've not had a claim since  1966, when my pram dinghy was smashed up during a storm. 

I did not realise this incident in the lock would be covered by insurance, but as RCR are experienced with insurance, they have suggested they handle it, and all I need do is calm down and go with the flow. 

I should be back on the cut, pottering along as though it never happened in a few weeks time 😁

The guy who came to look at the boat, Wayne, phoned round the boatyards, and most are closed or inaccessible, the job itself should be very simple, it's just getting to the Marina, and booking a crane, RCR will do the rushing about, I hope, if shove comes to push they will tow it, which seems to be a good plan. 

Edited by LadyG

Just now, Canal321 said:

There is the floating dry dock at Altham.

Good point, I'd forgotten that one.  It's quite a bit further away than Lower Park or Bank Hall though.

Leaving it to RCR sounds like a reasonable plan though, especially if they can provide either a temporary fix or a tow through Foulridge tunnel.

12 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

Did you actually read this post before you pressed “submit reply”?

Yes I did, and stand by it.

Jo has had nothing but problems and bad luck since she purchased the boat :

Bad neighbours on the moorings

Workmen who have not turned up to do a job

Workmen who have started the job and then left part way thru'

She has had 4 (or is it 5) electricians none of whom were apparently competent

and so it goes on.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Would you not be better off being towed into a marina with services to hand until March rather than overstaying on the towpath?

There are major long term stoppages on the L&L either side of her, so I think there will be plenty of “overstaying” going on in those parts. But anyway, if you read her recent posts she is getting RCR to sort her out.

Listen up, I don't post here often due to folks like the AdE who, obviously is on ignore, and in fact his thoughts are so useless and essentially negative, typically mysoginist btw,  he's wasting his time, obviously got nothing better to do. 

I haven't had bad neighbours on the moorings BTW, not sure where what came from, I would just move. 😁

I'm not going to try to repair the boat myself, it's just a mad idea. 

The job is going to cost a lot, aparently it's covered by insurance, why would I try to fix an underwater problem of unknown exactitude, by draining a pound to dry out my boat!!!!!!! What is wrong with people.

On the thunderboat, I now find Dunkley wants to have his say, I don't know why people feel they have to get involved. 

Consider all problems now solved, end of discussion. 

Edited by LadyG

31 minutes ago, BillM said:

My mum used to say if you haven’t something useful to say then best say nothing… these day people just can’t resist having the last word… 

If you are refering to my previous post, it was in response to a question Jo asked me.

"Where did that come from ?"

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

(snip)

On the thunderboat, I now find Dunkley wants to have his say, I don't know why people feel they have to get involved. 

Consider all problems now solved, end of discussion. 

Bit unfair to the Dunks, I feel.  He was answering an SOS, after all

• Greenie 4