Words from our leader

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

Im guessing the powers that be have finally realised that boaters are bit pissed off with how they are being treated and decided that they may need placating.....Im not sure its going to work.....

I must say he talks well, better than some TV presenters, could be his next job. He always has told boaters they are important, he probably tells all the other funders they are important as well.

• Greenie 2

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I must say he talks well, better than some TV presenters, could be his next job. He always has told boaters they are important, he probably tells all the other funders they are important as well.

Ive met him a few times....to be fair he does make the effort to go to boaters gatherings..... but sadly the general outcome seems to me that boaters are now just set dressing for towpath users.

• Greenie 1

A very clear and well-explained summary, I thought, especially the hard facts about where funding comes from and how it has to be justified -- as he says, 35000 boaters can't pay for the system, and the government (or any other funding source) is not going to throw vast amounts of money at the system just for their benefit, so CART needs to find/justify the benefit to a much bigger slice of the UK population.

Alan's comment is possibly justified if a bit cynical, of course you can say exactly the same about any announcement from any source... 😉

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, IanD said:

A very clear and well-explained summary, I thought, especially the hard facts about where funding comes from and how it has to be justified -- as he says, 35000 boaters can't pay for the system, and the government (or any other funding source) is not going to throw vast amounts of money at the system just for their benefit, so CART needs to find/justify the benefit to a much bigger slice of the UK population.

Alan's comment is possibly justified if a bit cynical, of course you can say exactly the same about any announcement from any source... 😉

Does fail to mention how top heavy CRT is as an organisation tho.....

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Fine words - seeing is believing!
We should play video that again in 12 months to see if us boaters feel if there's been an improvement or if the decline continues.

I got bored with it by half way through, even though after about a minute I turned the playback speed up to x1.75.

Lots of nicely spoken words and engaging pictures but all highly predictable. 'Nothing to see here', was my impression as my mind kept wondering, despite the fast playback speed. 

I thought it seemed a realistic assessment of the difficulties in securing funding. I would imagine there were many other sections filmed and different versions have been edited together to provided commentaries for different purposes. We've been shown the boaters' version. There's probably a "lottery funding" version and a "English Heritage" version etc. Or not?

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Over ten mins of video with many shots of CRT workers doing vital jobs but not a single shot of a CRT work boat in its natural habitat, abandoned on a lock landing stage.

Or tied precariously with the thinnest bit of blue rope they can find.

I'm waiting for a response to my latest complaint, backtracking on the L&L I see litter at Bridge holes which was there two months ago. In addition there is a sofa floating near Burnley, plus I am assured by a boater's towpath survey, TWELVE Shopping Trolleys in the canal NE of Burnley. 

I have asked where to find the CRT Litter Removal Policy. If someone can identify the responsible person I will notify them directly. 

Edited by LadyG

I found it an interesting video. I would like to see more of the financial breakdown of where the budget is coming from to address the stated maintenance - is it already built in (like politicians re-announcing the same money) or is it by reallocation, and if so from what.

One figure I would like to see a breakdown for is the contribution from boaters as it struck me as surprisingly low. The video includes a statement that the government contribution of £52M is 25% and that the owners of the 35,000 boats contribute 20%. That works out to £41.6M. I had presumed an average of approximately £1,000/boat, totalling £35M but the higher fees for hire boats, trading boats and most significantly letting of moorings does not add up to as much as I had thought it would. I will await the annual report with interest.

Alec