Plumbing Whale Gulper - Buying 19mm Hose

EnglishRose

Featured Posts

Marine is just a word used to double the price! Mild steel would be fine, as long as they aren't going to get wet, which if your bathroom is generally dry they won't. They may get a bit of surface rust, but will still be functional. If that is a problem for you, then buy stainless.

For pipe, I'd go with the sort that has a wire spiral inside. This won't collapse under the draw of the intake side of the pump. I would not get the transparent sort with the fabric reinforcement. This goes hard over time and starts to leak at the joints. Had some of the wire spiral in place for 14 years on a Gulper and still fine. A mix of stainless and normal jubilee clips. All still good.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

I just got my last bit from eBay.    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183885385793

Stainless clips are best for the bilge. If the cheap ones get wet, they tend to need replaced if you ever have to remove them.

Does this have the wire spiral inside similar to the stuff from Midland Chandler's that @Jen-in-Wellies recommended?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Marine is just a word used to double the price! Mild steel would be fine, as long as they aren't going to get wet, which if your bathroom is generally dry they won't. They may get a bit of surface rust, but will still be functional. If that is a problem for you, then buy stainless.

Thanks, I think the ones in Screwfix or Toolstation are zinc so we will look for stainless steel.

12 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Does this have the wire spiral inside similar to the stuff from Midland Chandler's that @Jen-in-Wellies recommended?

No, it is the sort that gets hard over time, then leaks at the joints. Will work for a while. You might get away with it.

11 hours ago, EnglishRose said:

Hi

We are replacing the bilge with a whale Gulper. Anyone know the cheapest place to get 19mm hose?

Are the jubilee clips from Screwfix/Toolstation sufficient or should be look at  marine type?

You  can get 19mm hose froom most aquatic  ( i.e. pond) supplies section in garden centres.

Steve

When I was looking for some suction hose for my orbital sander, I asked a local timber yard where they got their dust extraction hoses from.They referred me to a business hidden away on a small industrial estate in Chelmsford whose primary business was replacement hydraulic hoses for commercial vehicles and heavy plant, not the sort of place I would have thought of. He had a range of helically-ribbed grey plastic  flexible hose at very reasonable prices, sold by the metre, but I don't know his smallest size: I needed 1 1/2" stuff.  He never advertised, I guess people in the trade just knew by word of mouth where to go.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

I once bought some 19mm clear nylon braided hose from eBay and the wall thickness was so thin it was useless and just collapsed from the suction. 

There are some similarly specified but vastly different quality hoses around.

I wouldn't use braided hose for suction. The ribbed stuff is much better for that, if it's under pressure, it can be difficult to get a good seal using worm drive clips as the spiral rib prevents even pressure from the clip. Not a problem in a bilge pump, but I have to be careful with the garden pond plumbing! :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...