Is the CRT too woke?

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, MtB said:

Surely it was only the sign over the door that changed. 

At least we had less visually offensive signs and weren’t being told life is better by water and hand over your cash as you walked down the towpath to the boat you’d just licensed at vast expense while being told the fishermen & cyclists who’d paid sweet FA were higher in the pecking order than you. 

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I reckon that the pinnacle of the 'modern' canals was in the 90's, since then it started to slide backwards with, as the KPMG report showed BW spending less each year on maintenance than was required to keep a 'steady state', let alone eat into the backlog.

It then became like a snowball rolling down the mountain, by the time we got past 2012 and C&RT in control the snowball had become an avalanche.

We left the canals in 2020 and I think the condition of the waterways was the worst I had seen it in 40+ years of boating.

The 'Pub has changed its name but it has pretty much the same licencee's name over the door and the same bar staff. As time goes by they find they can get away with doing less and less.

Depends on the canal.  The Droitwich for example is in a better state now.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Woke is a term used in an attempt to denigrate anyone who has any empathy or sympathy with those in less favourable circumstances than oneself.

It had to be invented after the term "political correctness" became correctly understood to be an attempt to slander anyone who tried to speak or behave with concern for others, rather than behaving as if the only worth any person had was equivalent to their economic function, or the advantage that could be gained from using them as a thing, rather than a person..

Such mealy mouthed euphemisms are used by those who are so ashamed of their own attitudes that they need to find incomprehensible language to cloak them in, realising that should they actually voice these views, they would be correctly subject to universal condemnation.  You normally find them used on the internet by those hiding, quite understandably,  behind pseudonyms.

EEERRRRR     wot???????

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Which part are you struggling with?  It's pretty clear and straighforward.  You may not agree with it, but not understanding it is a different thing.

It’s Arthur’s statement I’m struggling with. 

earlier Stielsteven said;

”It means being aware, it means not going around being blind to injustice. Being awake!”

which is what I reckon to be a good summing up.  

edit to add;

I think Arthur’s statement was a rant making things more complex and misleading. 
I was surprised to see so many greenies  

Edited by Goliath

32 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Makes no sense to me either. 

Well it obviously made sense to the 13 people (so far) who gave it a greenie.

Edited to say that those 13 didn't include me, as I don't entirely agree with Arthur's definition.  I as usual agree with his views, but 'woke' has become a perjorative term because of all the extremists jumping on its bandwagon.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
  • Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

14 now.

It is articulate, but closely argued, so full comprehension is best achieved after the consumption of one's second cup of coffee or tea, when one has completely, er, woke up. 

Edited by Athy

8 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Edited to say that those 13 didn't include me, as I don't entirely agree with Arthur's definition.  I as usual agree with his views, but 'woke' has become a perjorative term because of all the extremists jumping on its bandwagon.

I tend to agree with this.  Woke was originally a self-defined positive term, it's only fairly recently that it's been used as a perjorative by some.

Goliath's confusion seems odd since there are loads of slang terms in English which have an original definition but a different meaning when used in a certain context.  Yes, woke can be used in a phrase like "I woke up", but Arthur had quite concisely summed up that way it's now being used and thus the new meaning is pretty clear.

For another example, see "gay", which means happy and care-free, but is seldom used that way anymore.

27 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I tend to agree with this.  Woke was originally a self-defined positive term, it's only fairly recently that it's been used as a perjorative by some.

Goliath's confusion seems odd since there are loads of slang terms in English which have an original definition but a different meaning when used in a certain context.  Yes, woke can be used in a phrase like "I woke up", but Arthur had quite concisely summed up that way it's now being used and thus the new meaning is pretty clear.

For another example, see "gay", which means happy and care-free, but is seldom used that way anymore.

I agree with all that. Got no problem with that. 

I don’t agree with Arthur that it was a word ‘invented’ to replace political correctness (as I think Arthur wrote) but rather a slang word evolved by Black Americans to express their feelings of injustice. 

(The word gay amongst school children now means lame or useless )

Edited by Goliath

31 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I agree with all that. Got no problem with that. 

I don’t agree with Arthur that it was a word ‘invented’ to replace political correctness (as I think Arthur wrote) but rather a slang word evolved by Black Americans to express their feelings of injustice. 

(The word gay amongst school children now means lame or useless )

I think invented is wrong too, which is one reason why I didn't greenie the post.  I'd say the word has been "corrupted" to replace political correctness.  It is now also often used interchangeably with snowflake and other terms.  In those cases, it tends to be a way of denigrating those who have a social conscience and some level of awareness of the challenges faced by others. 

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I think invented is wrong too, which is one reason why I didn't greenie the post.  I'd say the word has been "corrupted" to replace political correctness.  It is now also often used interchangeably with snowflake and other terms.  In those cases, it tends to be a way of denigrating those who have a social conscience and some level of awareness of the challenges faced by others. 

I think this would lead me to use the term snowflake Mum disgusted by 'vile' product in Aldi children 'shouldn't see' - LancsLive

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think this would lead me to use the term snowflake Mum disgusted by 'vile' product in Aldi children 'shouldn't see' - LancsLive

Absolutely.

But I also condemn the laziness of so called 'journalists' (A term I use loosely)  who trawl through social media to come up with such 'stories'. If they didn't publish it such utter tripe would go virtually un noticed.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Sad really that she should be so lacking in attention she has to get her name in the papers.

Maybe she has metal health problems ?

I suppose that she also thinks the company 'Demon Tweeks' (founded in 1971 - Motorsport, Car & Motorcycle tuning) is the spawn of the devil and should be closed down.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I would use the term ridiculous

I wonder what she'd make of this:

Bunnster's Shit The Bed - The Spice Wagon

Interestingly a Gin has just had its name banned  
GIN BRAND Fok Hing has been forced to change its labels following angry complaints about the "offensive language" used on the bottles.

Fok Hing Gin

Must say that I was amused by the fact that the usual suspects, while professing incomprehension of my slightly tongue in cheek argument (maybe I used words of too many syllables?), have found the only bit they can nitpick on is the use of the word "invented". Words, of course, as all followers of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue well know, can change their meaning over time and can therefore be said to have been reinvented. Or not. It doesn't matter. My point remains unsullied. The trombone section, as always,  carries the day.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Must say that I was amused by the fact that the usual suspects, while professing incomprehension of my slightly tongue in cheek argument (maybe I used words of too many syllables?), have found the only bit they can nitpick on is the use of the word "invented". Words, of course, as all followers of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue well know, can change their meaning over time and can therefore be said to have been reinvented. Or not. It doesn't matter. My point remains unsullied. The trombone section, as always,  carries the day.

Ok, so it was tongue in cheek!

Now I understand it. 
Makes sense now. Truly does. 
I thought you were actually trying to define Woke. 

But you were in fact telling us how you have reinterpreted the term Woke. 

Stielsteven’s succinct and meaningful definition gracefully nudged the trombone section into the pit. 👍

To add:

what usual suspects? It was only me that’s said owt. 
You seem to have been given a lot of greenies and have the crew on your side. 

Edited by Goliath

38 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ok, so it was tongue in cheek!

Now I understand it. 
Makes sense now. Truly does. 
I thought you were actually trying to define Woke. 

But you were in fact telling us how you have reinterpreted the term Woke. 

Stielsteven’s succinct and meaningful definition gracefully nudged the trombone section into the pit. 👍

Steilsteven's definition makes no sense in the context of this thread though, unless you really think it's about CRT staff being awake.  Which is presumably a good thing.

Or were you just being tongue in cheek?

9 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Steilsteven's definition makes no sense in the context of this thread though, unless you really think it's about CRT staff being awake.  Which is presumably a good thing.

Or were you just being tongue in cheek?

Deadly serious 🧐 

😃

does Arthur’s make any

more sense in context to the OP’s thread?

Whatever the meaning of the word it is now fairly pejorative,  it's use will define and draw lines in the argument often before any real discussion takes place, this thread is a prime example of that, it's almost the new racist thrown about with gay abandon to provoke reaction