Is the CRT too woke?

Featured Posts

Having received the new email from the CRT encouraging us all to address climate change I was wondering whether the organisation has lost its core purpose. 

We have travelled over 500 miles this year on the network and can honestly say that we have encountered fewer than 3 working parties.

I wrote to the CRT earlier this year about how well maintained the privately owned Bridgewater canal is and why this couldn't be replicated in the rest of the network. 

It seems wokeness is more important. 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Unimpressed 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

Having received the new email from the CRT encouraging us all to address climate change I was wondering whether the organisation has lost its core purpose. 

We have travelled over 500 miles this year on the network and can honestly say that we have encountered fewer than 3 working parties.

I wrote to the CRT earlier this year about how well maintained the privately owned Bridgewater canal is and why this couldn't be replicated in the rest of the network. 

Im not sure being aware of the need to be mindful of ones impact on the climate is 'wokeness ' is it?

The email obviously co incides with COP 26 which a lot of organisations are latching onto.

Thinking about it logically and linking to maintenance there is a school of thought that says severe weather events directly draw down maintenance funds to fund repairs when flooding wrecks canal infrastructure.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Whether CRT has lost its core purpose or not climate change is a tad more important than being "Woke"

Beside that CRT have to position themselves as a broad appeal charity to strengthen its case for continued gov grant and using its environmental credentials is a good way of doing that.

• Greenie 2

24 minutes ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

Please could you define what "wokeness" is, in your opinion.

MP.

• Greenie 4

Yes. This was meant to be the main thrust of my argument.  The CRT is failing in much of its core duties. The condition of the Rochdale,  the locks in Manchester and a heavily overgrown Llangollen just 3 examples. 

I would prefer to receive emails about the network and not the climate.  I'll leave that to the BBC. 

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

Yes. This was meant to be the main thrust of my argument.  The CRT is failing in much of its core duties. The condition of the Rochdale,  the locks in Manchester and a heavily overgrown Llangollen just 3 examples. 

I would prefer to receive emails about the network and not the climate.  I'll leave that to the BBC. 

Then the title makes no sense whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

"Working parties" is a term I would associate with volunteer restoration and maintenance work, and would not expect to see it used referring to CRT staff or contractors carrying out their duties. So what "working parties" did you see, and more to the point what did you expect to see but not see?  Did you visit any stoppages to see work going on? 

And how much maintenance work did you observe happening on the Bridgewater Canal?

• Greenie 2

47 minutes ago, David Mack said:

"Working parties" is a term I would associate with volunteer restoration and maintenance work, and would not expect to see it used referring to CRT staff or contractors carrying out their duties. So what "working parties" did you see, and more to the point what did you expect to see but not see?

Ah.  I assumed he was cross because he wanted to volunteer more and couldn't find enough places to do so ... :icecream:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Surely it was only the sign over the door that changed. 

I reckon that the pinnacle of the 'modern' canals was in the 90's, since then it started to slide backwards with, as the KPMG report showed BW spending less each year on maintenance than was required to keep a 'steady state', let alone eat into the backlog.

It then became like a snowball rolling down the mountain, by the time we got past 2012 and C&RT in control the snowball had become an avalanche.

We left the canals in 2020 and I think the condition of the waterways was the worst I had seen it in 40+ years of boating.

The 'Pub has changed its name but it has pretty much the same licencee's name over the door and the same bar staff. As time goes by they find they can get away with doing less and less.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Steilsteven said:

Funny how so many people use the term woke when they haven't got a clue what it means.

It means being aware, it means not going around being blind to injustice. Being awake!

Keith

No wonder it's used as an insult by some on here, then.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Jim Wortelhock said:

1/ Define "wokeness", as so far nothing you have written makes much sense?

2/ Define the core duties of CaRT?

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Woke is the past tense of wake so once you are awake you are in a state of 'wakeness', so you can now say "I am now in the state of wakeness", or, "yesterday I was in a state of wokeness"

From my collection, a suggestion for CART's new theme song.

I done woke up.jpg