Engine start up

Antony Perry

Featured Posts

On 10/11/2021 at 19:06, Antony Perry said:

Hi when starting engine first thing sometimes black soot comes out of exhaust, any suggestions please. 

Typical of an old, old fashioned and tired diesel I'd suggest. A new Beta 38 probably wouldn't do it! 

What make, model and age (running hours to date) is this engine?

Some of this depends on the exhaust itself, there can be a lot of soot produced by a diesel, on start up its quite common if you crank the thing for more than a couple of revolutions there can be quite a 'rich' mixture when it fires,  the inside of a diesel exhaust can be like an old chimney and my water cooled exhaust always splots out a puddle of sooty water when I start it, this would show as black sooty exhaust if it was a dry exhaust. My diesel car with particulate filter doesn't do it.

7 minutes ago, Bee said:

My diesel car with particulate filter doesn't do it.

It probably does when the filter regenerates, but only every few hundred miles and on the motorway when you won't notice! 

Or at least, once in a while I see a vehicle on the motorway start chucking out huge clouds of grey smoke, then after two or three hundred yards the smoke stops and the vehicle continues driving with no smoke. I am guessing this is the particulate filter cleaning itself?

1 minute ago, MtB said:

It probably does when the filter regenerates, but only every few hundred miles and on the motorway when you won't notice! 

Or at least, once in a while I see a vehicle on the motorway start chucking out huge clouds of grey smoke, then after two or three hundred yards the smoke stops and the vehicle continues driving with no smoke. I am guessing this is the particulate filter cleaning itself?

Could be, I've never noticed smoke in the mirror when I'm driving but something must come out of the tailpipe, not sure quite how it works but oil changes are expensive, dire warnings about using the correct grade of oil or you will wreck the filter, used to be £40 a gallon or thereabouts. Now Morris's of Shrewsbury do one that costs about £25 which is much better.