The future of folding bikes?

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Bear in mind it’s a brand new concept being kickstarted, if it takes off then production costs may well bring the price down, especially once there are clone versions from the Far East.

I just loved the ingenuity of folding a proper wheel size down for storage, 28” wheels are way better for rolling resistance than the 16” you commonly get on the smallest-folding bikes

If he's got any sense he'll have patented the idea. Not that this stops rip-off clones being made, but at least it gives a way of clobbering anyone who imports or sells them into the US...

(assuming you can afford the lawyers, which is unfortunately often not the case for small companies, especially in the US -- but there are "no-win-no-fee" ones who will take the case on for a chunk of the potential returns)

It's rare to see genuinely innovative ideas like this which make your jaw drop the first time you see them -- the best ones are often like this, where after you've seen it it's blindingly obvious, but so off-the-wall that nobody ever thought of it before. Respect 🙂

(and that's coming from somebody with more than 50 patents, none as classy as this invention...)

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

To be honest the only new concept relating to this bike, worthy of observation, is the "folding" wheels. Apart from that it looks a right faff to fold and it is noticeably bigger than the Brompton when folded. On top of that there are no gears, no mudguards, and no provision for even light luggage (shopping) All of whIch are essential requirements for a bike being used in the UK. The article illustrates a comparison with another folding bike, but it isn't a Brompton which is far more compact. I could get our two Bromptons inside a cupboard in the boat with an internal dimension of 60cm x 60cm x 60cm.will this one achieve that? Answer No! From the dimensions in the article, two of these would need a minimum space of 65cm x 80cm x 86cm.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

To be honest the only new concept relating to this bike, worthy of observation, is the "folding" wheels. Apart from that it looks a right faff to fold and it is noticeably bigger than the Brompton when folded. On top of that there are no gears, no mudguards, and no provision for even light luggage (shopping) All of whIch are essential requirements for a bike being used in the UK. The article illustrates a comparison with another folding bike, but it isn't a Brompton which is far more compact. I could get our two Bromptons inside a cupboard in the boat with an internal dimension of 60cm x 60cm x 60cm.will this one achieve that? Answer No! From the dimensions in the article, two of these would need a minimum space of 65cm x 80cm x 86cm.

I really don't see what your argument is -- if you want a good small-wheel bike that folds easily into a tiny space and can carry stuff then get a Brompton, there's nothing better.

If somebody wants/needs a folding bike with bigger wheels (e.g. for cycling in slippery muddy conditions -- and don't say "Oh, my Brompton can do that", you know perfectly well what its limitations are, the same as my Moulton) then a Brompton is not an option, and this is. It won't fit into such a small space, but that's the price you pay -- it will certainly fit into a much smaller space than any other bike with 28" wheels.

So it's horses for courses -- the Brompton is really good at what it's good at, and so is this new bike. Not everyone has the same priorities you do, and it's not a "mine is the best EVER bike for EVERYTHING" competition... 😉

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You must be new to cycling! ;)

Not really, I've ridden pretty much everything over the last 50+ years...

I do find the "this is the BEST for me so it must be for you too" attitude irritating though, it ignores the fact that everyone has different needs and what suits one person doesn't suit another -- but that doesn't stop a lot of people saying it loudly and repeatedly, and denigrating other people's choices.

Bikes, toilets, wideboats, engines, sterns, batteries, boat layout, heating, cooking, fuel, blacking, paint, windows, anchors, knots -- the list is almost endless... 😉

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

I really don't see what your argument is -- if you want a good small-wheel bike that folds easily into a tiny space and can carry stuff then get a Brompton, there's nothing better.

If somebody wants/needs a folding bike with bigger wheels (e.g. for cycling in slippery muddy conditions -- and don't say "Oh, my Brompton can do that", you know perfectly well what its limitations are, the same as my Moulton) then a Brompton is not an option, and this is. It won't fit into such a small space, but that's the price you pay -- it will certainly fit into a much smaller space than any other bike with 28" wheels.

So it's horses for courses -- the Brompton is really good at what it's good at, and so is this new bike. Not everyone has the same priorities you do, and it's not a "mine is the best EVER bike for EVERYTHING" competition... 😉

I don't have an argument with the bike as such, my observations were based upon the usage and storage requirements for a bike on a boat.  The article posted at the beginning of this thread encouraged comparison with the Brompton and, in my view,  it has a number of drawbacks in that respect when compared alongside the Brompton.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Unlike the electric boat and electric car discussions here....!

24 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I am not sure (sorry I mean I am sure) I wouldn't want to cycle muddy towpaths without decent mudguards.  They are called mudguards for a reason.

I agree (mine has them fitted). But there's no perfect solution, on a muddy towpath I'd probably rather have a bike without mudguards that can be ridden than one with them that can't, mud does wash off.

The ideal solution would be a bike that was good to ride, light, decent gears and brakes, folding, with big wheels, mudguards, capable of carrying a lot of luggage -- oh yes, and cheap.

Since this mythical beast doesn't exist, you have to choose the best/least bad option that does what you want, and this will be different for different people depending on their priorities.

7 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I don't have an argument with the bike as such, my observations were based upon the usage and storage requirements for a bike on a boat and, in my view, it has a number of drawbacks in that respect when compared alongside the Brompton.

Of course it does. And the Brompton has a number of disadvantages compared to it, as it does compared to the £400 hybrid bike I currently ride -- including being an absolute magnet for bike thieves, especially here in London where I know several people who've had them nicked, in one case at knifepoint. Horses for courses... 😉

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

Not really, I've ridden pretty much everything over the last 50+ years...

I do find the "this is the BEST for me so it must be for you too" attitude irritating though, it ignores the fact that everyone has different needs and what suits one person doesn't suit another -- but that doesn't stop a lot of people saying it loudly and repeatedly, and denigrating other people's choices.

Bikes, toilets, wideboats, engines, sterns, batteries, boat layout, heating, cooking, fuel, blacking, paint, windows, anchors, knots -- the list is almost endless... 😉

A bit like an electric vehicle wont suit everybody then?

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

I agree (mine has them fitted). But there's no perfect solution, on a muddy towpath I'd probably rather have a bike without mudguards that can be ridden than one with them that can't.

The ideal solution would be a bike that was good to ride, light, decent gears and brakes, folding, with big wheels, mudguards, capable of carrying a lot of luggage -- oh yes, and cheap.

Since this mythical beast doesn't exist, you have to choose the best/least bad option that does what you want, and this will be different for different people depending on their priorities.

Of course it does. And the Brompton has a number of disadvantages compared to it, as it does compared to the hybrid bike I currently ride. Horses for courses... 😉

If you read my edit to the quoted post, you will see that I referred to the article posted at the beginning of this thread which encouraged comparison with the Brompton. hence my comparison, thats all.

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Unlike the electric boat and electric car discussions here....!

I'm always careful to say that what suits me won't be what other people want, and that's fine, and neither electric boats or cars are perfect with no disadvantages. Others are not so sympathetic... 😉

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

If you read my edit to the quoted post, you will see that I referred to the article posted at the beginning of this thread which encouraged comparison with the Brompton. hence my comparison, thats all.

I expect the folding-wheel wonder would be just as likely to be a thief magnet as a Brompton though, maybe more so... 😉

Edited by IanD

I still have the Bickerton folding bike that I used to use when commuting into Central London in the 1980's. 10" front wheel, 12" rear wheel, 5 speed Sturmey-Archer, and yes it did creak and flex somewhat, but you soon got used to it. I certainly needed gears at the home end of the journey due to the hills we have were I live, where the station is at the bottom of the hill and I live near the top, and ascending was a bottom gear and standing on the pedals job. 

The combination of straight forks, small wheels and badly potholed roads in Central London at the time meant I needed to replace spokes on a regular basis  (one every 5 to 6 weeks) and I used to keep supplies at home and in the office. I stopped using it on a daily basis after I developed carpal tunnel problems in both wrists. It was attributed to the vibration I exerienced through cycling, so I had to give it up for the sake of my  health!  I always take it with us when we hire a boat as, when it is just my wife and myself, it allows me to go ahead to prepare the next lock in  lock flights. Folded it is the size of a medium suitcase and, with its aluminium frame, was easily lifted onto the overhead luggage rack of the trains on my line. The optional mudguards were certainy essential for all-year use.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Greenie 1