The future of folding bikes?

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

Just now, Jerra said:

While it looks small folded you will have two whacking great wheels to deal with as well.

Yes. A bit sneaky to not include the wheels in the promo photos.

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

They *are* in the promo shots...

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Note the lack of mudguards on the unfolded bike and the "mudguards" on the folded bike

Presumably they have then taken us back to the "good old days" of solid tyres.

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Note the lack of mudguards on the unfolded bike and the "mudguards" on the folded bike

Best put brain in gear before operating tongue!  😝

There are no mudguards in either.

What you can see are the folded wheels included.

I once had a full size folding bike.

Only one hinge. It used to knock and creek like mad when riding the thing.

Unlike the small wheeled version. So I hope with all those joints and folds the engineering and manufacturing tolerances are absolutely spot on.

With other folding bikes the size of the wheels determines how compact the folded bike is. Hence even mid size wheel folders are quite bulky, whereas the Bromoton achieves compactness by having small wheels. This is giving the best of both worlds - Brompton sized when folded but 28 inch wheels by folding the wheels.

If it proves a success in service it could be a winner.

3 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

Best put brain in gear before operating tongue!  😝

There are no mudguards in either.

What you can see are the folded wheels included.

Which was the point I was trying to make and why I put mudguards in quotes

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Presumably they have then taken us back to the "good old days" of solid tyres.

Foam filled apparently 

26 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But no gears and no e-bike option. If they can do a version with these they really will be onto a winner.

Yes, it would be hard to get used to no gears. I know lots of people swear by fixed wheel, but to quote Spike, you can often find them crouched there blaspheming.

49 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But no gears and no e-bike option. If they can do a version with these they really will be onto a winner.

I’d imagine it would be easiest to use a type of Sturmey-Archer hub gearing, adding derailleurs brings all the cabling fun unless its Di2 but that brings a bigger price tag.

I’m not a fan of e-bikes, they are the devils work. And for the most part, in my experience, ridden by buffoons who can’t control them posing a danger to themselves and others.

It seem the main criticism of the Brompton is how they look. Well, okay if that's your bugbear go and get one of these.

My Brompton 24 year-old and has done many thousands of miles up hill, down Dale and most importantly along the towpath - it'll take more than just looks to persuade me this is better.

The sections of the wheel work by one staying in the middle of the (extra-wide) forks, the other two slide round either side of it so the three sections sit side-by-side. Absolutely ingenious, I take my hat off to the inventor 🙂

I used to ride a Moulton along the towpath into London every day in the 80s long before it was "improved", and though the ride wasn't a problem (suspension) the grip and steering -- especially in winter -- on some sections certainly was, small narrow wheels were a bit of a liability on a slippery towpath which was covered in deep mud in some places. I'd much rather have 28" wheels in this case...

This actually does look good for boaters.  The towpaths are flat so lack of gears not a problem.  Solid tyres won't puncture on thorns as Monkey has said.  And it folds small. I'm wondering how much it might cost though, those tyres and wheels look expensive.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

This actually does look good for boaters.  The towpaths are flat so lack of gears not a problem.  Solid tyres won't puncture on thorns as Monkey has said.  And it folds small. I'm wondering how much it might cost though, those tyres and wheels look expensive.

Aha!  I was right!  $1795.  Crikey.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

At least £1500, probably closer to £2000 given the usual US-to-UK-including-VAT price parity... 😞

"The retail price equates to £1,500 or AU$2,700. However the Tuck Bike will initially be available for delivery in the US and Canada only. Boo. "

Edited by IanD

Bear in mind it’s a brand new concept being kickstarted, if it takes off then production costs may well bring the price down, especially once there are clone versions from the Far East.

I just loved the ingenuity of folding a proper wheel size down for storage, 28” wheels are way better for rolling resistance than the 16” you commonly get on the smallest-folding bikes