Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2022

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Although it was an enjoyable day we thought the attendance was down markedly compared to rallies of old,  both boats and the public. 

One bolinder powered boat in the parade for instance,  and that didn't hang around.

We were told at least 80 boats were booked in, although this may have included "non historics" already mentioned.

I'm sure that Ian's list plus additions will still be missing a few, but I'm only getting 62 (I think!) by that route.  If correct that is certainly well short of some of the bumper years in the past.  It still didn't stop my wife and son who were asked to play music on the "celebrity" boat from being stuck on it in the parade for a couple of hours with little or no movement.

Visitor/spectator numbers were visibly well down on most previous years.  Let's just hope that isn't attributed to lack of deafening bands in the evening, to the extent that we get them back next year!

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

The parking price was one of the reasons I decided not to visit this year.

I've never paid for parking,  just find a spot down the road towards Willoughby and walk in.  There was plenty of room this year without a hike back. 

It might not be in the spirit to get out of parking fees but £20 is a bit much and we always spend money on other things. 

Could i ask everyone who thinks the £20 parking charge is too high to e mail Tim to that effect. He wont listen to me! His e mail is tim@braunstonmarina.co.uk 

I hope the event goes ahead next year but I wont be organising it as I have had enough.

5 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

Could i ask everyone who thinks the £20 parking charge is too high to e mail Tim to that effect. He wont listen to me! His e mail is tim@braunstonmarina.co.uk 

I hope the event goes ahead next year but I won't be organising it as I have had enough.

Graham, this is sad news, but many, many thanks for your organising past events.
As I didn't have Mike with me this year I parked in the village and just walked down Nibbets Lane.

There was also an ice breaker in the marina, its name illudes me at the moment.

29 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I've never paid for parking,  just find a spot down the road towards Willoughby and walk in.  There was plenty of room this year without a hike back. 

It might not be in the spirit to get out of parking fees but £20 is a bit much and we always spend money on other things. 

3 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Plenty of free parking in the village 

That is fine if you arrive early and don't have a wife who struggles to walk any distance.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Let's just hope that isn't attributed to lack of deafening bands in the evening, to the extent that we get them back next year!

I hope not too, as the intolerable noise in the evening is the reason I didn't attend with my partial historic!

Graham's announcement that there would not be amplified music after months of saying Tim is having none of it came too late, I'd already accepted another invitation for the weekend without ear splitting music. 

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Graham, this is sad news, but many, many thanks for your organising past events.
As I didn't have Mike with me this year I parked in the village and just walked down Nibbets Lane.

There was also an ice breaker in the marina, its name illudes me at the moment.

Ray, could it have been Pelican?

5 hours ago, noddyboater said:

We arrived on Sunday morning and actually caught all the parade which is unusual for us.

Although it was an enjoyable day we thought the attendance was down markedly compared to rallies of old,  both boats and the public. 

One bolinder powered boat in the parade for instance,  and that didn't hang around. 

Maybe the price of fuel is having an effect now on visitors to such events. (Cars, not boats) 

Did you mean this one. Beautiful looking and sounding boat.

P1010051.JPG

P1010052.JPG

8 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

The owner of Dory had to shoot back to Brinklow to work.

Somebody has to fix our old boats.

That went well then. Passed it broken down on the Barby straight.

"What do I want with that Swedish sh***" as someone once said😁

16 hours ago, noddyboater said:

At least 2 single cylinder Bolinder powered boats were present...

Dory

William

In fact, being pedantic,  there were lots more Bolinders - just not the single cylinder hot bulb variety, but instead the more modern types like BM1052, BM1054 & BM1054, sporting anything between 2 and 4 cylinders.

40 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

At least 2 single cylinder Bolinder powered boats were present...

Dory

William

In fact, being pedantic,  there were lots more Bolinders - just not the single cylinder hot bulb variety, but instead the more modern types like BM1052, BM1054 & BM1054, sporting anything between 2 and 4 cylinders.

Without wishing to be too pedantic,  I did say Sunday,  and all I saw was Dory leaving the arm and not returning for a circuit of the marina.

I don't think I'd have missed William if in attendance,  but could have when I went to visit the closets.

Bison was leaving later in the day,  BM powered I believe, but for the general public it's obviously the hot bulbs that add a bit of variety to the parades. 

Maybe it was the amount of historic boats tied up and not taking part on Sunday that made the difference,  it always seems a shame that people make the effort to attend but not parade.

A bit like going to a beer festival and standing in the corner with a bottle of water. 

He doesn't appear to be having much luck with Dory does he? Despite the amount of time and money put into the engine.  

8 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Maybe it was the amount of historic boats tied up and not taking part on Sunday that made the difference,  it always seems a shame that people make the effort to attend but not parade.

There can, of course, be any number of reasons why a boat doesn't join the parade.

The Saturday has 2 parades, the "morning" (nominally!) and the afternoon.  As I understand it, because of unnecessary grid-lock, quite a number of the boats eligible to join the morning parade were told not to by the organisers so that it didn't overrun into the afternoon slot.

Because, other than boats in the basin, most boats are only eligible for the morning OR the afternoon slots, the boats told not to go in the morning couldn't do so in the afternoon either.

I wasn't able to take Sickle out, as my crew were poached to provide live music on the celebrity boat, Raymond, and I can't safely have 2 dogs on board with no support staff.

We did at least do the Sunday one, and there were a lot of boats out, even if some (including our second boat) did not move.

It is, of course, quite random which boats do turn up, which have the more esoteric engines and which parade  There was a significantly different collection of boats than I recall from previous Braunstons, including immaculately turned out boats such as Dory, Otley & Sandpiper, making their first appearances.

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The Saturday has 2 parades, the "morning" (nominally!) and the afternoon.  As I understand it, because of unnecessary grid-lock, quite a number of the boats eligible to join the morning parade were told not to by the organisers so that it didn't overrun into the afternoon slot.

Because, other than boats in the basin, most boats are only eligible for the morning OR the afternoon slots, the boats told not to go in the morning couldn't do so in the afternoon either.

I can imagine that this could be distinctly galling, to the point of being offputting to join in again.

I have no idea whether this happened or not to any specific boat, but part of the point of attending is to join in the parade. If I had travelled some distance to get my boat there, had been allocated a morning slot and then didn't get to join in it would make me think twice about whether to come again (this is of course a moot point for me being too far away to get there anyway, but I wonder whether that has an effect).

Alec

26 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It's all becoming too civilised now. 

In past years the unnecessary grid-lock was the entertainment!

I might just watch "Mostly loaded Joshers" by Mykaskin on YouTube next year and save the fuel cost.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

In the past we have taken part in the morning parade and continued without stopping into the afternoon parade.

I was stood on the bank for about 10 minutes after the Saturday morning parade before being told to start the engine again for the afternoon one.

On 28/06/2022 at 13:02, alan_fincher said:

Challenge accepted!

Adamant

Aldgate
Aquila
Archimedes
Atlantic

Badger

Barrow

Beaulieu
Bideford

Bison
Bletchley

Bootes
Bordesley
Brighton

Camel
Cassiopeia
Cedar
Cepheus
Columbia

Dorado
Dory

Eileen
England

Fenny
Firefly (Modern replica)
Flamingo
Gort
Hadley
Hampstead
Hasty (Modern replica)
Holland

Hood

Joe

Kenelm
Lamprey
Madeley

Mercury
Nuneaton
Nutfield
Otley
Otter
Oxford 1

Paddington
Princess Anne
Raymond

Renfrew
Rill
Roach
Sandbach

Sandpiper

Sextans
Sharpness
Sickle
Southern Cross

Squire
Stanton
Tadworth
Tardebigge

Towcester
Typhoon

Whitby
William

Victoria

"Tipton" passed through the parade route but wasn't officially booked in.