Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2022

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Jake

No real timetable as such. Rally opens at 11am with the first boats coming into the Marina under the main bridge. Main marquee with traders etc. Opens 10am. 2nd parade on Saturday at 2pm. Church service Sunday at 9.30am and parade at 11am

• Greenie 1

On 27/11/2021 at 15:55, Ray T said:

@Grahamnewman Graham, another who would prefer to talk to others rather than be blasted with loud music.

Thank you.

The purpose of overloud music is to stop people talking.

They then drink more

Same as selling ice-cream in overheated cinemas. 

On 17/06/2022 at 19:43, Grahamnewman said:

Yes Alarum are doing a show at 8pm in the beer tent although the beer will be outside this year in a mobile bar. Tickets are £10 on the door or from the Marina Office.

You are in for a noisy loud evening, take your earplugs or leave at 8PM if you know what is healthy for you.

Alarum are an Australian progressive metal and technical death metal band which formed in 1992 in Melbourne. The original line-up included Matthew Racovalis on drums, Mark A Evans and Christian Broome on Guitar. Broome soon left the band
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The purpose of overloud music is to stop people talking.

They then drink more

Same as selling ice-cream in overheated cinemas. 

You are in for a noisy loud evening, take your earplugs or leave at 8PM if you know what is healthy for you.

Alarum are an Australian progressive metal and technical death metal band which formed in 1992 in Melbourne. The original line-up included Matthew Racovalis on drums, Mark A Evans and Christian Broome on Guitar. Broome soon left the band

They are not quite that loud ....

https://alarumproductions.org.uk/

Had a really enjoyable weekend and it was great to catch up with those that I managed to.  I didn't seem like the last one was three years ago.

I didn't manage to spend any time looking at boats over the weekend but from my limited picture taking and fuzzy memory (which was really fuzzy on the Sunday morning) I've complied the following list of boats which attended.  Obviously there were more so feel free to fill in the gaps.

Aldgate
Aquila
Archimedes
Atlantic
Bideford
Bletchley
Bordesley
Brighton
Cassiopeia
Cedar
Cepheus
Columbia
Dory
England
Firefly
Flamingo
Gort
Hadley
Hasty
Holland
Lamprey
Madeley
Nuneaton
Nutfield
Otley
Otter
Oxford 1
Princess Anne
Raymond
Rill
Roach
Sandbach
Sharpness
Sickle
Southern Cross
Stanton
Tadworth
Tardebigge
Typhoon
William

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, IanM said:

Had a really enjoyable weekend and it was great to catch up with those that I managed to.  I didn't seem like the last one was three years ago.

It was good to "bump" in to you and B......

+ Beaulieu + Renfrew

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Firefly? The Firefly with the single cylinder hotbulb semi-diesel? (Kromhout I think?)

Is that a historic? I thought it was a modern boat although beautifully built. 

Someone did tell me it wasn't a historic. But then I suppose one could lump Hasty in the same category so I'll keep it in the list for completeness.

1 hour ago, IanM said:

I didn't manage to spend any time looking at boats over the weekend but from my limited picture taking and fuzzy memory (which was really fuzzy on the Sunday morning) I've complied the following list of boats which attended.  Obviously there were more so feel free to fill in the gaps

Challenge accepted!

Adamant

Aldgate
Aquila
Archimedes
Atlantic

Badger

Barrow

Beaulieu
Bideford

Bison
Bletchley

Bootes
Bordesley
Brighton

Camel
Cassiopeia
Cedar
Cepheus
Columbia

Dorado
Dory

Eileen
England

Fenny
Firefly (Modern replica)
Flamingo
Gort
Hadley
Hampstead
Hasty (Modern replica)
Holland

Hood

Joe

Kenelm
Lamprey
Madeley

Mercury
Nuneaton
Nutfield
Otley
Otter
Oxford 1

Paddington
Princess Anne
Raymond

Renfrew
Rill
Roach
Sandbach

Sandpiper

Sextans
Sharpness
Sickle
Southern Cross

Squire
Stanton
Tadworth
Tardebigge

Towcester
Typhoon

Whitby
William

Victoria

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

Firefly? The Firefly with the single cylinder hotbulb semi-diesel? (Kromhout I think?)

Is that a historic? I thought it was a modern boat although beautifully built. 

3 minutes ago, IanM said:

Someone did tell me it wasn't a historic. But then I suppose one could lump Hasty in the same category so I'll keep it in the list for completeness.

Correct - both Firefly and Hasty are not historic, but are modern "replicas" - a bit like Raymond, I guess!  😂

• Greenie 1

Just now, alan_fincher said:

Correct - both Firefly and Hasty are not historic, but are modern "replicas" - a bit like Raymond, I guess!  😂

I did think about pointing that out 🤣

We arrived on Sunday morning and actually caught all the parade which is unusual for us.

Although it was an enjoyable day we thought the attendance was down markedly compared to rallies of old,  both boats and the public. 

One bolinder powered boat in the parade for instance,  and that didn't hang around. 

Maybe the price of fuel is having an effect now on visitors to such events. (Cars, not boats) 

3 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Maybe the price of fuel is having an effect now on visitors to such events. (Cars, not boats) 

Not to mention the £20 charge to park a car...

And as to that incomplete boat list we need to add...

Hyades

Hyperion

26 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Not to mention the £20 charge to park a car...

And as to that incomplete boat list we need to add...

Hyades

Hyperion

The parking price was one of the reasons I decided not to visit this year.

• Greenie 2