Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2022

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

Strange you should mention that as i am in talks with a mobile bar that will be outside of the marquee if we can agree terms

I'm not sure that will make any difference as sound travels straight through the marquee fabric. 

What I think people are asking for, is a reversion to unplugged music please, i.e. no amplifiers.

5 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Perhaps it would be better if the bar was not INSIDE the music tent.  People could then make a choice of taking their drink into the music tent or going elsewhere for a quiet chat.

Like we've done in recent years and gone up to The Boat House, you mean?!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well this thread went dead, and no list of boats known to be attending, something which Alan Fincher used to organize. Hopefully Alan will post a list, but if not, would someone else care to give it a go?

29 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Well this thread went dead, and no list of boats known to be attending, something which Alan Fincher used to organize. Hopefully Alan will post a list, but if not, would someone else care to give it a go?

I thought the attendance list generally got posted during/after the event. And it is still 10 days away.

I can confirm that Fulbourne won't be attending, as there is still a big hole under the back cabin and engine room where the bottom is supposed to be. And neither will Belfast be there as it is awaiting the same treatment. Next year perhaps.

1 hour ago, Grahamnewman said:

80 boats booked in so far with a few more saying they will attend.

Music wont be amplified, just duos and no bands.

It's not bands as such which people object to Graham, but the type of band and the level of over amplification.  In the early days, I seem to remember there being a number of acoustic Folk and Jazz Bands which did not impinge on conversation. However, I am sure that people will be pleased to observe that the oganizers have listened to the concerns about the loud music, which has crept in over the past few years.

Edited by David Schweizer

11 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I don't think I have ever in the past tried to produce a list of possible attendees.

I have, however, maybe asked people to declare their intentions.

Our stretch target is to bring both Sickle and Flamingo, although both have lain out of use for some time, and some urgent remedial works are needed over the next week.

A further problem has presented itself which we have so far failed to solve.  The canal in front of Sickle's mooring has become so silted that we can move forward about 20 feet before we run aground exposing about 5" of hull side that should be under water.  I don't suppose anybody just happens to be passing Weedon with a dredger, do they? 😄

Edited by alan_fincher

This will be only the second Braunston Show we've missed, but Sue is recovering from a knee replacement and has been told by her consultant that boating is off the menu for the time being.  Hampton is not the easiest boat to get on and off.  However, we've booked in to a nearby hotel so we'll be able to  soak up the atmosphere.

We had hoped that Owl, our old boat, would be attending, but unfortunately work which is being done on it will not be ready in time. :(

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

A further problem has presented itself which we have so far failed to solve.  The canal in front of Sickle's mooring has become so silted that we can move forward about 20 feet before we run aground exposing about 5" of hull side that should be under water.  I don't suppose anybody just happens to be passing Weedon with a dredger, do they? 😄

Is the silt likely to be dissipated by passing boats if you manage to get Sickle off it's mooring? The canal alongside our mooring at Napton used to get silted up over the winter, making it almost impossible to get away from the bank. Every spring, I had to use the prop to "dredge"  the the silt away, perhaps you could utilise Flamingo's huge prop to do the same, of course the "Dredging " boat needs to be securely attatched to the bank with long ropes to facilitate that!

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

This will be only the second Braunston Show we've missed, but Sue is recovering from a knee replacement and has been told by her consultant that boating is off the menu for the time being.  Hampton is not the easiest boat to get on and off.  However, we've booked in to a nearby hotel so we'll be able to  soak up the atmosphere.

We had hoped that Owl, our old boat, would be attending, but unfortunately work which is being done on it will not be ready in time. :(

That's a shame, We have booked accomodation in Braunston for a few nights, so I am sure we will meet up. 

3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

......perhaps you could utilise Flamingo's huge prop to do the same......

Same engine in both boats, and very similar prop sizing - 25" diameter On Flamingo and 24" on Sickle, but with a bigger pitch on the latter.

Have tried "prop dredging", but it is very difficult to move the silt anywhere where you are simply not relocating the problem. 

We had to go and buy a Tirfor style winch to drag Sickle back off  a mound of crap, and back onto its pontoon.  We can't use the technique on the other direction without blockading he canal.

Our next plan is to try to get Flamingo off its mooring, then to move Siclke sideways on to it, and see if thee is  less silt ahead there.

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

It's not bands as such which people object to Graham, but the type of band and the level of over amplification.  In the early days, I seem to remember there being a number of acoustic Folk and Jazz Bands which did not impinge on conversation. However, I am sure that people will be pleased to observe that the oganizers have listened to the concerns about the loud music, which has crept in over the past few years.

When we called at the Red Lion in Market Drayton a few weeks ago there was a solo guitarist/singer playing (amplified) outside. You could hear him a hundred yards away down the street...

Needless to say, we didn't stay... 😞

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Thats even more annoying when there are some workboats (or was a couple of weeks ago) just round the corner to you.

4 hours ago, IanD said:

When we called at the Red Lion in Market Drayton a few weeks ago there was a solo guitarist/singer playing (amplified) outside. You could hear him a hundred yards away down the street...

Needless to say, we didn't stay... 😞

Which is why I referred to acoustic Folk and Jazz bands.

38 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Which is why I referred to acoustic Folk and Jazz bands.

He was playing an acoustic guitar and singing, many people would say that he was an acoustic act even though he was amplified.

Not just BSing, I play this stuff a lot and also do mixing for bands -- "electric" often means "electric guitars/bass/drums" (amplification essential), "acoustic" often means "acoustic guitars/fiddles/bass/brass" (amplification optional).

On 14/06/2022 at 21:24, David Mack said:

I thought the attendance list generally got posted during/after the event. And it is still 10 days away.

I can confirm that Fulbourne won't be attending, as there is still a big hole under the back cabin and engine room where the bottom is supposed to be. And neither will Belfast be there as it is awaiting the same treatment. Next year perhaps.

Not as of yesterday there isn't. Need to get your finger out, get it painted, could have it in the water by next Friday😀

2 hours ago, davidg said:

Not as of yesterday there isn't. Need to get your finger out, get it painted, could have it in the water by next Friday😀

Don't you just love a public last minute challenge!