Jump to content

Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2022


Featured Posts

According to an article in the November issue of "Towpath Talk", about the Braunston Winter Fuel Narrowboat Gathering, Tim Coghlan hopes to be hosting  the Braunston Historic Narrowbat Rally over the last weekend in June next year. We have already booked our accommodation in anticipation !

 

 

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 09/11/2021 at 17:41, David Schweizer said:

According to an article in the November issue of "Towpath Talk", about the Braunston Winter Fuel Narrowboat Gathering, Tim Coghlan hopes to be hosting  the Braunston Historic Narrowbat Rally over the last weekend in June next year. We have already booked our accommodation in anticipation !

 

 

Yes its going to be 25th and 26th June. I will be writing to boaters and traders before Christmas. It is hoped President will open the rally if her  new boiler is fitted in time. Just need someone to supply and run the bar as the usual team have 'retired'. If anyone knows someone who could do the bar please get them to contact me at graham@braunstonmarina.co.uk 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

Yes its going to be 25th and 26th June. I will be writing to boaters and traders before Christmas. It is hoped President will open the rally if her  new boiler is fitted in time. Just need someone to supply and run the bar as the usual team have 'retired'. If anyone knows someone who could do the bar please get them to contact me at graham@braunstonmarina.co.uk 

 

Good news  Graham, we will be there. I canot help directly with the Bar, but have you considered contacting the local branch of CAMRA?  they may know of someone : -  Email: chairman@northants.camra.org.uk

 
 
Edited by David Schweizer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

Yes its going to be 25th and 26th June. I will be writing to boaters and traders before Christmas. It is hoped President will open the rally if her  new boiler is fitted in time. Just need someone to supply and run the bar as the usual team have 'retired'. If anyone knows someone who could do the bar please get them to contact me at graham@braunstonmarina.co.uk 

I wonder if it's worth asking the Wheatsheaf at Crick seeing as they always cater for the Crick show. Not on the same scale of course but they may be keen to get involved?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

I wonder if it's worth asking the Wheatsheaf at Crick seeing as they always cater for the Crick show. Not on the same scale of course but they may be keen to get involved?

Thanks for that. I have now contacted them.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

 

Graham's not listening, he CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!!

I'm not a rock band fan but i am told its part of the rally tradition. If enough boaters contact me at the Marina then i can have a conversation with Tim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grahamnewman said:

I'm not a rock band fan but i am told its part of the rally tradition. If enough boaters contact me at the Marina then i can have a conversation with Tim.

 

And I'm not sure why we have to contact you 'at the marina' to tell you this. I've obviously made contact with you here already.

 

And like Jim, I'm not sure why you think it is a tradition to have amplified music so loud that all the historic boaters bringing their boats to the rally complain about it. Unless you mean us all complaining about it is becoming a tradition, in which case I'd agree with you!  

 

I for one find the over-loud evening music a significant dis-incentive when considering each year whether to bring my boat to the rally. Daytime amplified live music in the bar is fine and I don't think anyone has a problem with that, but later in the evening it is unpleasantly intrusive. Could we have a compromise perhaps and turn the amplifiers OFF at say 9pm? 

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

I'd question that. I don't remember this happened in the early days of the show. 

What you have to realise that most boaters come to the Braunston show to talk, to gossip, to catch up on the news, to meet new friends, to natter to old ones.  After a hard day's talking to passers-by and sitting for hours going nowhere on the parade, there's nothing better than to have a relaxing  pint or two and chat without being deafened by the entertainment.

 

 

 

 

Yes that is my recollection as well, In the early days of the show, I remember the evening entertainment usually being a mixture of Folk and Trad Jazz. The noisy Rock seems to have crept in over the past few years.

 

 

Edited by David Schweizer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

 

Yes that is my recollection as well, In the early days of the show, I remember the evening entertainment usually being a mixture of Folk and Trad Jazz. The noisy Rock seems to have crept in over the past few years.

 

Its the amps that are the problem. Unplugged live music would be fine. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

 

Its the amps that are the problem. Unplugged live music would be fine. 

 

Which is what it used to be. I remember the first time the loud Rock manifested itself, a crowd of us moved across to the Boathouse, transported on the deck of Sickle!

 

 

 

 

Edited by David Schweizer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, MtB said:

 

And I'm not sure why we have to contact you 'at the marina' to tell you this. I've obviously made contact with you here already.

 

And like Jim, I'm not sure why you think it is a tradition to have amplified music so loud that all the historic boaters bringing their boats to the rally complain about it. Unless you mean us all complaining about it is becoming a tradition, in which case I'd agree with you!  

 

I for one find the over-loud evening music a significant dis-incentive when considering each year whether to bring my boat to the rally. Daytime amplified live music in the bar is fine and I don't think anyone has a problem with that, but later in the evening it is unpleasantly intrusive. Could we have a compromise perhaps and turn the amplifiers OFF at say 9pm? 

Mike, i only organise the rally on Tim's instructions. Unless he see's an e mail at the office he doesnt take any notice of other comments.

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

 

I'm not a rock band fan but i am told its part of the rally tradition. If enough boaters contact me at the Marina then i can have a conversation with Tim.

Is it also part of the rally tradition that the majority of the boaters who are there for a drink and a chat congregate in the outdoor area furthest from the band, even when the weather is unfavourable, while the seats in the marquee nearest the performers are largely empty?

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

This might be a silly question, but who organises/books the rock band(s), and why do they think it's a good idea if so many people don't like it?

 

Graham just put his finger on the problem. It is Tim who needs convincing, not Graham. And Posh Tim is hard to convince without some evidence/ammunition eg emails.

 

Graham, apologies I had overlooked the fact that Tim likes having the loud music! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

 

Which is what it used to be. I remember the first time the loud Rock manifested itself, a crowd of us moved across to the Boathouse, transported on the deck of Sickle!

 

 

 

 

Yes, and we go to listen to it at the Nelson.

Edited by JamesWoolcock
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MtB said:

 

Graham just put his finger on the problem. It is Tim who needs convincing, not Graham. And Posh Tim is hard to convince without some evidence/ammunition eg emails.

 

Graham, apologies I had overlooked the fact that Tim likes having the loud music! 

Is he deaf? I SAID IS HE DEAF!

and before anyone says 'half past three', its not yet one o'clock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tim usually gets Jan and Warren to  arrange the music and musicians

1 hour ago, agg221 said:

If President is expected to open the rally, is it FMC-themed? If so, I will let the new owner of The King know.

 

Alec

Alec

Tim has decided that all FMC and others boats with a Braunston connection will be invited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.