Wood Fired Stove

Mike1951

Featured Posts

Poor instalation nearly set my deckhead ie wooden ceiling alight, some idiot had used a poor insulator, viz. fireclay to seal the chimney.

At 2.00 am, first night on board, I was woken by smell of smouldering paint. 

Stove really extremely hot, fire foals very red. 

I closed all vents, jammed door tight,, took a chisel and created an air gap, air is an insulator, now replaced with the proper glass fibre rope (£1.50).

I have not yet replaced the (non porcelain) backing tiles. I assume I'd need to refit with calcium silicate etc, a biggish job, so as I have survived for a few years, I take resposibility, and live with it until I need a new stove, or I find a good fitter.

Edited by LadyG

46 minutes ago, Mike1951 said:

I think we are going to put the stove on hold until next autumn anyway now.

The time to buy one and have it fitted is during the Summer when there is availability of both stoves and fitter-people.

Be one of the ones who plans ahead, rather than one of those that leave it until the last minute and then cry 'woe is me, nothing available and Winter is here'.

On 09/11/2021 at 21:01, matty40s said:

You cant beat Aldi at £17.99 a fan, in now...

I got one from the Aldi website for £15 last year.

It goes round and looks pretty but the jury is still out on its effectiveness.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why would you expect the Aldi one to be more effective than any of the others ?

I didn't, I've always thought the science behind them was dodgy, but at £15 the temptation to get one was just too great. 😄

• Greenie 1

On 10/11/2021 at 01:24, LadyG said:

My first night on board with fire resulted in over heating, dangerously. 

I had heard that all you do is put plenty of coals ie ovals and close the door. 

Well, I don't do that now, especially if there is a strong wind creating strong draughts. 

The stove was installed badly, I have learned how to control it, in fact it has not gone out for six weeks, which is a record. No firelighters, just ovals, logs, and minimal kindling. 

I have my ovals warming and drying by the stove. 

I add about 8 around bedtime, close vents, pop in to bed, and two hours later, re fuel the stove, might be 6 ovals, might adjust vents. 

6.00 am, put some kindling or a cut log on red embers, close door, open vents. 

Boil kettle, make tea, check fire, it should have a few flames, it may need some kindling, never let it get cold, it needs to be ready to fire up when you demand. 

Lying in bed, I can tell if fire is out, or dying and needs reviving, this may be atavistic, going back to the Stone Age. 

Very interesting I'm sure, but I don't really understand what these monologues have to do with the OP's question?

On 10/11/2021 at 01:40, LadyG said:

Poor instalation nearly set my deckhead ie wooden ceiling alight, some idiot had used a poor insulator, viz. fireclay to seal the chimney.

At 2.00 am, first night on board, I was woken by smell of smouldering paint. 

Stove really extremely hot, fire foals very red. 

I closed all vents, jammed door tight,, took a chisel and created an air gap, air is an insulator, now replaced with the proper glass fibre rope (£1.50).

I have not yet replaced the (non porcelain) backing tiles. I assume I'd need to refit with calcium silicate etc, a biggish job, so as I have survived for a few years, I take resposibility, and live with it until I need a new stove, or I find a good fitter.

Are there any installations on your boat which haven't been the subject of some drama? I've been living on boats for 20 years and led a fairly quiet life in comparison. 

• Greenie 2

16 hours ago, cuthound said:

I didn't, I've always thought the science behind them was dodgy, but at £15 the temptation to get one was just too great. 😄

I'm getting one today, as the peltier plate in my posh Calframo one has failed after 8 years, and the Aldi fan complete is cheaper than the replacement kits for sale.😁

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I'm getting one today, as the peltier plate in my posh Calframo one has failed after 8 years, and the Aldi fan complete is cheaper than the replacement kits for sale.😁

But over the coming 8 years you'll probably need to buy several more replacements ............ only they won't be available .........

56 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

But over the coming 8 years you'll probably need to buy several more replacements ............ only they won't be available .........

Aldi have had them in for at least 5 years, starting off around £29.99 and getting cheaper each year. My other ecofan(2 blade ) is still working well after 13 years of service.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Aldi have had them in for at least 5 years, starting off around £29.99 and getting cheaper each year. My other ecofan(2 blade ) is still working well after 13 years of service.

Likewise my Ecofan. I'm impressed that it's a regular for Aldi. I thought it must be one their 'when its gone, its gone' lines.

Just now, Up-Side-Down said:

Likewise my Ecofan. I'm impressed that it's a regular for Aldi. I thought it must be one their 'when its gone, its gone' lines.

Even Aldi customers have enough sense to know that these fans are 'snake oil' and won't buy them.

The ones on sale now are still the original batch that Aldi brought out 5 years ago (and the supplier refused to take them back - as they had been trying to sell them for 5 years and failed)

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Even Aldi customers have enough sense to know that these fans are 'snake oil' and won't buy them.

The ones on sale now are still the original batch that Aldi brought out 5 years ago (and the supplier refused to take them back - as they had been trying to sell them for 5 years and failed)

Except the data Dr Bob too and published here showed that there was an effect on heat distribution. That is despite the naysayers who don't seemt o accept it. The question is: is that effect worth the cost and my view is at £20 a pop it is worth a try.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Except the data Dr Bob too and published here showed that there was an effect on heat distribution. That is despite the naysayers who don't seemt o accept it. The question is: is that effect worth the cost and my view is at £20 a pop it is worth a try.

Maybe the one we had was faulty, I could not measure any appreciable difference between with it & without it.

Gave it away FOC, that was probably the only time someone paid the correct amount for one.

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have one (on a Taylors diesel heater as opposed to solid fuel) the fan doesn't cost me anything to run, didn't cost much to buy and I'm pretty sure it makes a difference so I'll quite happily leave it there.. Also I quite like the look of it....

Edited by Quattrodave

Pointless things.... although.. if you had a simple heat exchanger round the bottom of the chimney, just a thin steel cylinder and a computer fan in the take off stub blowing heated air along ducting under the gunwale to the other end of the boat that would work properly. 

1 hour ago, Bee said:

Pointless things.... <snip>

So are pictures on the wall, decorations, candles, background music.... but some people like them, it makes them smile, they think it adds something. Ambiance, atmosphere.

Not everything has to be purely functional, perhaps that's the point.

As I said earlier in this thread, my cheapo two blade fan moved warm air to t'other end of the boat. Without it the bedroom end was cold as a witches thingy, with it it wasn't hot, but it took the chill off.

I passed the fan on to friends who have a solid fuel stove in their house, they reckon the temperature in the room is now a lot more even than without the fan.

Horses for courses - you like them, or you don't.

2 hours ago, manxmike said:

As I said earlier in this thread, my cheapo two blade fan moved warm air to t'other end of the boat. Without it the bedroom end was cold as a witches thingy, with it it wasn't hot, but it took the chill off.

I passed the fan on to friends who have a solid fuel stove in their house, they reckon the temperature in the room is now a lot more even than without the fan.

Horses for courses - you like them, or you don't.

Quite agree - on efficacy question and about horses. I was always conscious of cold feet in the cold evenings and overpowering heat at head height when I stood up or walked back into the lounge area. Since AOF (advent of the fan), things are a lot more even - feet not necessarily warmer but there is a much reduced heat gradient between seated body and standing head. and a fan is a very effective early warning of the need to add fuel.