Help to identify a broken part on a Morso Squirrel

Featured Posts

Hello,

I noticed a crack in the back of my stove yesterday.  I'm struggling with identifying exactly what the part is from the diagrams I've found online.  Is it the back brick?

Until it's replaced, is it safe to use?

Thanks,

20211109_090548.jpg

Yes its fine to use it like that. Such cracks are commonplace. 

If the cast iron of the stove body itself cracks, that is a different matter but I'd say most stoves in regular use have cracks in the firebricks like in your photo. 

• Greenie 1

Thanks, all.

Didn't want to wake up dead.  I've sent the pictures off to Kings Lock Chandlery to get a replacement but can't actually identify which model of Squirrel it is.  Hopefully they can from the photo unless there's another way I'm able to?  The feet look slightly different on some models.

squirrel 2.jpg

56 minutes ago, northern said:

Didn't want to wake up dead.  I've sent the pictures off to Kings Lock Chandlery to get a replacement but can't actually identify which model of Squirrel it is.  Hopefully they can from the photo unless there's another way I'm able to?  The feet look slightly different on some models.

I'd say that is a 1410 but the feet have been modified so that the stove can be fixed to the floor as required by the BSS

I re plastered the rear of my stove with a tub of fireclay as it was unbranded stove, has a back boiler, this seems to have worked for a full winter, though I have less volume in the stove, but it seems to stay in overnight better anyhow 👍

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, LadyG said:

I re plastered the rear of my stove with a tub of fireclay as it was unbranded stove, has a back boiler, this seems to have worked for a full winter, though I have less volume in the stove, but it seems to stay in overnight better anyhow 👍

Do the same only replaced them once in 16 years and then only because I was replacing a back plate. 

I did worry about the cracked bricks when I first started but that soon wore off after a little reading.

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

I thought that on first read but now I take it they’re on about plastering the cracked fire bricks. 

Correct

Certainly worth clarifying that point that it was the bricks that were plastered.

When I referred to the replacing the back plate I should of made it clear that I was doing the plastering as part of the job of replacing the blanking plate on the backplate.

Edited by reg
Add more precision

13 minutes ago, northern said:

Thanks for the help.  Donation made to the site - I've taken far more than I've given (mostly down to inexperience), so it's only fair.

Kings Lock have the part and I'll be ordering tomorrow.  Is it a pain in the arse to fit?

Simple job just make  sure the part of the base they sit on is reasonably clear and the top baffle plate is sits correctly on the side brick edges.

Easy to work out when you are doing it.

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, northern said:

Thanks for the help.  Donation made to the site - I've taken far more than I've given (mostly down to inexperience), so it's only fair.

Kings Lock have the part and I'll be ordering tomorrow.  Is it a pain in the arse to fit?

Easy to fit but can be mucky.

1 hour ago, waterworks said:

Why would you possibly want to waste money on replacing a cracked fire brick?

What do you think the crack will do, let the fire leak out ?

Why would you possibly want to waste your time posting this?

It was designed and installed for a reason.  It's now broken.  It makes sense to replace it.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, northern said:

It was designed and installed for a reason.  It's now broken.  It makes sense to replace it.

I find there is an acceptable level of cracking once it starts to reach an unacceptable level them only then will I consider replacing it.

Yours appears to have a lower level of cracking if you replace it then very soon there is a strong possibility that the new one will also show some cracking.

Obviously you are in charge if your own budget so it's your chose. Personally I think in 16 years of use I've only done, as far as I can remember, a full replacement once or maybe twice maximum.

A tub of fire cement can save you a great deal of money over the years.

Edit 

Found this link which gives you all the info 

https://www.stovespareparts.com/stove-maintenance-advice/check-the-fire-bricks

Note this part 

"...

Fire bricks only need replacing if damage to them begins to expose the stove's bodywork to flames. In severe cases of prolonged exposure this could permanently damage the stove by cracking a cast iron side panel or warping the steel bodywork.

Where clay fire bricks are cracked their lifespan can be prolonged by filling the cracked joints with fire cement – this is perfectly acceptable practice and nearly all manufacturers recommend this...."

Edited by reg

15 hours ago, northern said:

False logic I'm afraid. The refractory brick is only there to absorb heat , a cracked brick works exactly the same as an uncracked one. 

You could just fire cement it back together for a couple of quid if you really must.

So what you're saying it is has a purpose, the purpose is compromised by it being broken, and that it could be rectified for a cost less than that of a new fire brick?

That's very different to saying "why would you possibly want to waste money on replacing a cracked fire brick?  What do you think the crack will do, let the fire leak out ?

4 minutes ago, northern said:

So what you're saying it is has a purpose, the purpose is compromised by it being broken, and that it could be rectified for a cost less than that of a new fire brick?

Except a single crack in a firebrick doesn't compromise its purpose. Its no different from the gap between two adjacent firebricks.

But if your firebrick has significant damage, multiple cracks or loss of material, then patching it up with fire cement is unlikely to be a lasting solution, and so spending money on a replacement is the better option.

12 minutes ago, northern said:

I understand what's being said, it's just that the response might have been "just fill the crack, don't replace the whole thing, it's cheaper".

You do what you feel happy doing, if that means a new firebrick that's fine it's hardly a costly repair, ignore the occasional grumpy sod :)

• Greenie 1